Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cleanser for 10 year old boy?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kareni
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
My almost 10 year old son apparently is starting puberty (agghhh!!) and is getting a bit oily in his T-zone. Should he just stick with warm water and a wash cloth, or some kind of gentle cleanser? Any advice to get him off to a good start?
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Just a gentle facial cleanser like Johnsons but tell him stay away from face cloths they are bacteria gatherers. This happened my son and I just got him a facial soap he is now 27 and there are a lot of more products on the market but have heard great reports about Johnsons
Caspers Mum

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Some gentle ones to consider:

Astara Botanical Cleansing Gele

Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel

La Roche Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cream Cleanser

Bioelements Twice Daily Bar

Thalgo MMA Cleansing Bar

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
My brother started out using cetaphil/spectrogel (he's 15 now) but with the increase in sweating and sunscreens, he's been using some of my Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleanser to help loosen his blackheads.
hugaio
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
Avene has good products for kids
beautydream
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:51 am      Reply with quote
Dr.H cleaning cream or milk is OK for this age of kids? Smile
Maria1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:57 am      Reply with quote
My son is 12 with very sensitive skin with redness on his cheeks. He uses La Roche Posay Toleriane milk cleanser everyday and La Roche Posay Toleriane moisturizer normal/combination in the winter.
beautydream
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Maria1 wrote:
My son is 12 with very sensitive skin with redness on his cheeks. He uses La Roche Posay Toleriane milk cleanser everyday and La Roche Posay Toleriane moisturizer normal/combination in the winter.

Thanks for your information!
Smile I want my daughter to try La Roche Posay Toleriane milk cleanser first.maybe order this with my purchase from EDS. Smile
kareni
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your input (and wish my mom had a forum like this when I was 10 years old)! Very Happy
anorn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Soft soap for kid

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Caspers Mum wrote:
Some gentle ones to consider:

Astara Botanical Cleansing Gele

Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel

La Roche Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cream Cleanser

Bioelements Twice Daily Bar

Thalgo MMA Cleansing Bar

Hi Kareni

I'd rather go with the Dermalogica ultracalming than the special cleansing. He is very young and although the special cleansing gel isn't harsh it is more drying than the ultracalming cleanser. Seems a pity to maybe create a need for a moisturizer at such an early age...also for your wallet Wink

I haven't tried any other of the above recommended cleansers.

HTH Very Happy

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dermalogica-ultracalming-p_1476.htm

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
bugfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
I like Weleda。。one of my friends bought it for her daughter.it's not harsh at all. however, she got it from a trip to Germany.
Caspers Mum

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
anorn wrote:
Soft soap for kid

Soft Soap is a HAND cleanser.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:
My brother started out using cetaphil/spectrogel (he's 15 now) but with the increase in sweating and sunscreens, he's been using some of my Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleanser to help loosen his blackheads.

i think cetaphil/spectrogel is a good choice too. i think you can use something stronger when he starts getting more oily or breaking out later on.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:59 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Ruth that a gentle cleanser will be a good choice as your son is still very young and his skin isn't very oily. It'd be a shame to use a harsher cleanser that requires a moisturizer afterward. I've used Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser before and it's very gentle. In fact, it's so gentle that I'm not sure it cleans well enough. Plus I think it's more suitable for dry/sensitive skin. Does your son wear a sunscreen? If so, he needs a cleanser that removes sunscreen well. How about PSF Cleansing Castile? It's supposed to gentle, suitable for all skin types and it claims to remove sunscreen. Plus it's so affordable as well!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Your son probably is used to bar soap so I would highly recommend Skin Biology's Gentle Clean soap. It is very mild, cleans beautifully without any harshness & definitely passes the sissy test in looks and feel.

In fact, you might love it yourself; I do. It's my principle cleanser now.
And the best thing, apart from its effectiveness, it's inexpensive.

If zits start to erupt, look into the Tanda LED light system here on EDS. It's perfect for spot treatment & ideal for teens to do in private since the unit is a small handheld device that only takes 3 minutes per spot treatment.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I think if he must use something, Cetaphil would be a good choice. But, he's so young! His skin is so resilient at this point, it'd be a shame to dry it out with cleansers he may not need. Remember winter is coming, and, unless you live in a more humid climate, his skin is going to be exposed to the cold air and more susceptible to dryness.

My skin too! I'm already drying out like a raisin.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I think if he must use something, Cetaphil would be a good choice. But, he's so young! His skin is so resilient at this point, it'd be a shame to dry it out with cleansers he may not need. Remember winter is coming, and, unless you live in a more humid climate, his skin is going to be exposed to the cold air and more susceptible to dryness.

Personally, think Cetaphil is too harsh & should only be used occasionally when skin is particularly oily or broken out. Even tho' it's supposed to be gentle, it is very drying if used daily. And with drying skin you just create other problems.

A gentle soap such as Skin Bio's with an occasional Cetaphil use as necessary might be the better option.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:28 am      Reply with quote
arya2 wrote:
violetanne wrote:

Personally, think Cetaphil is too harsh & should only be used occasionally when skin is particularly oily or broken out. Even tho' it's supposed to be gentle, it is very drying if used daily. And with drying skin you just create other problems.

A gentle soap such as Skin Bio's with an occasional Cetaphil use as necessary might be the better option.

Cetaphil? Harsh? Rolling Eyes I have dry skin and Cetaphil has never, ever dried my skin out. In fact, it's what I use when I feel my skin feels too dry from other cleansers.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:46 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
arya2 wrote:
violetanne wrote:

Cetaphil? Harsh? Rolling Eyes I have dry skin and Cetaphil has never, ever dried my skin out. In fact, it's what I use when I feel my skin feels too dry from other cleansers.

Yes, even for my combo skin it is harsh. A gentler but 2% salicylic acid formula is Neutrogena's Oil Free Wash which IMHO is much easier on the skin. But, I tried Cetaphil & it seemed fine for about a week, then skin became itchy, dry & very uncomfortable. It has sodium lauryl sulfate in it....a HUGE no no for the skin. There are numerous EDS threads wherein this ingredient is discussed and the overwhelming concensus is Don't use anything with this ingredient.

I didn't know anything about SLS until I used an Obagi 20% Vit C serum. After about 2 wks use, couldn't understand why skin was getting worse, dry, itchy, flakey etc - a major UGH factor. So went online to research every single ingredient listed and the culprit was SLS. It was not an allergic reaction - the stuff is just plain bad for the skin.

You may choose to continue using products that contain it, that's your choice but I can't in all honesty recommend it to anyone after having read the research on it.
vanna
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I'd recommend Bioderma Sensibio H20 non-rinse cleanser. I use this to cleanse my face in the morning and find it very, very gentle and non-drying.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
To protect and nurture his skin as well as help with his puberty skin issues I would imagine you would still want to adhere to the Ph principle of something around 5.5 on the scale. There are some great articles on this. I would suggest trying Geografx natural skin care - nice formual and you can get a clarifying cleanser at an appropriate Ph. (Thanks Tangal!)
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
My son is 11. He recently noticed a small pimple (really small, I did not see it. More like a clogged pore.) I advised keeping his skin clean and offered to buy him products.

He is at the age where he wants long hair, but does not want to have to do anything with it. Luckily, his hair looks good with just a shampoo once in a while and air dried.

He is also at the age where I have to remind him to take a shower. So, although I have all sorts of skin care and my skin type is oily sensitive. I told him he could use my stuff; he is not interested.

He will, however, use the easiest and fastest of skin care. I have Clearasil wipes with 2% BHA (sal. acid) and he will use those. He does wear sunscreen when it is warm (not everyday no matter what like his mother)

So, if your son is not really interested in using a bunch of skin care products, perhaps something easy like a facial pad or facial wipe? There is a wide assortment of facial cleansers in a wipe, no rinse. Of course, I know this is not the best choice and there is superior cleansers, toners, etc out there. But I think I would be buying things and just having it sit in his drawer. This product he will use and it seems to dissolve his sunscreen and sweat, oil,etc.

Oh, it doesn't help that my DH uses whatever soap or shampoo in the shower and his skin looks great.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Good point - if they don't use it what good is it? And the wipes are very user friendly. I may have to consider this for my 11 year old.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |