Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

best cosme 2007 (top japanese makeup & skincare rankings
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
i wanted to do something as a thank you for this forum, but wasnt sure what... anyway, i hope this will help or be of interest to those of you who like japanese/asian makeup and skincare!

www.cosme.net is a really fantastic japanese website about cosmetics and skincare and pretty much anything related to beauty. it's kind of a mashup of this forum and makeupalley. in other words, its yet another blackhole for my time!!! they do weekly rankings (amongst users, of which there are thousands & thousands) of the most popular / highest ranked items, and every year they release a book listing the most highly ranked / desirable items! i finally picked up the 2007 one recently. It includes a Grandprix selection, Hall of Fame selection, Rookie of the Year award, and then individual rankings of well, everything from lipstick to fragrance. Even better, the rankings include a chart that shows you, of the points the products got, which age range they are from, so it gives you a good idea of what would suit you for your age range, and for the skincare products, skin type! i really like having it in book form because sometimes the website itself is overwhelming...

Anyway, please excuse some of my translations of names, if its a brand i'm unfamiliar i may have spelled it wrong... splitting this into a couple of posts because it's so long and im not sure what the limit is..
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Grand Prix selections (kind of, "the best of the best of 2007")
No. 1 ) Sparkling Eyes, Pieds Nu, Shiseido (a cream eye shadow that is bright and shimmery, easy to blend and make gradations with... i'm a little confused as to how it can be #1 in 2007 when i think shiseido cancelled their pieds nu line???)
No. 2 ) Ion Steamer Nano Care, estee jeune, National (a wildly popular ionic facial steamer, also comes with a "cool patter" so that you can alternate steaming and cooling your face)
No. 3 ) Beauty Eyeliner, Tiffa, Shiseido (tiffa is a popular drugstore brand developed by shiseido.. this eyeliner only comes in three colours and it's glittery, so it's not really my thing, but it seems to be wildly popular with teens)
No. 4 ) Bobbi Brown Longwear Gel Eyeliner (users state it is easy to apply and wears long)
No. 5 ) Kerastase Nutritive Oleo Relax Antifrizz (a treatment great for people with difficult to handle hair)
No. 6 ) Ebabiruna Eyebrow Coat, The Daiso (The Daiso is Japan's premiere dollar store, i really want to get this one since it's only 105 yen!!!)
No. 7 ) Powder Eyebrow, Fufu, Shiseido (easy to make gradations with, stands up to sweat)
No. 8 ) Mitsubachimachi, Lush (i think in english this is the "honey i washed the kids" soap but i find the japanese name cuter Smile anyway, users loved the sweet honey smell and soft skin the soap left behind)
No. 9 ) Automatic Liner, Majorica Majoruca, Shiseido (a slightly metallic eyeliner by another one of shiseido's popular drugstore brands- this also took home the Rookie of the Year prize!)
No. 10 ) Beauty Mirror, Anna Sui (this is only here because users love how cute and pretty it is. really! i kind of want one too...)
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hall of Fame (these are items that have consistently ranked high over the years, there is no numbering/order for this list)
*DHC Eyelash Tonic (in the morning it's used as a mascara base, at night it is a treatment for your lashes, makes them longer and softer)
*White Snow Poem, Nebajuku (this is here due to its "cost performance"- users were apparently stunned that how nice it made their skin given it's sooo cheap- two 180g bars for only 262 yen!! it contains palm virgin oil. this is a body soap, btw)
*Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil (this is famous enough that i dont think i need to say anything about it Smile )
*Savex Lip Cream Jar (pretty much this is supposed to be an amazing healer for times when your lips are in "trouble"- blisters, cold sores, excessive dryness)
*Ghassoul Solid & Powder, Naiad (a clay used like soap traditionally used in morocco, apparently you can put it into lotions, facewash, use it as a mask, use it to remove makeup- it's kinda a nice cheap DIY addition, 150g for 525 yen!)
*Body Butter, The Body Shop (i was sad to hear that the body shop founder passed away recently Sad anyway, this item is popular due to its fresh fruit scent)
*Shiseido Eyelash curler (apparently the popularity is because the cup of the curler is just the right size for japanese people Smile )
*Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Oil (this is a camillia oil especially for hair, people with hair damaged by perms and dyejobs swear by it- i also use a shampoo with camellia oil and it really helped when my hair was damaged!)
*Vaseline Petroleum Jelly (popular because it can be used anywhere- lips, skin, etc, and also has no smell and is simple)
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
(last one, i swear!)
The book has like 37 categories for rankings, and since there are soooo many, i'll just post here what the #1 was for each one... if you want to know more of the list for any of these categories, or the details (which age group it was most popular with, skin type) just let me know! Smile

Lipstick: Kose Luminous Rouge Weruni II
Lipgloss: Anna Sui Lip Gloss
Blush: Givenchy Prism Again! Blush
Eyeshadow: Shiseido Pieds Nu Sparkling Eyes
Eyeliner: Shiseido Tiffa Beauty Eyeliner
Mascara: Kiss Mascara Glamourous Volume
Mascara Base & Essence: T'estimo treatment mascara base
Eyebrow: Ebabiruna Eyebrow Coat
Nail polish: T'estimo Jewel Nail Colour
Powder Foundation: Kanebo Revue Essence Impact
Liquid Foundation: Covermark Essence Liquid Foundation Liquid
Cream Foundation: Covermark Essence Foundation
Face Powder: Chacott for Professionals, Finishing Powder
Makeup base: Kanebo Lunasol Eyelid Base
Concealer: Covermark Brightup Foundation
Lotion: Sofina Est The Lotion
Gel & Essence: Cosme Decorte Moisture Liposome
Moisturizer: Albion Exage Moisture Balance Milk III
Face Wash: Lush Angel's Kindness (i THINK this is 'angels on bare skin' but im not sure)
Cleansing: Kose Cosmeport Softymo Super point makeup remover
Pack & Others: Poretol Kakusen Clear Gel
Cream: L'occitane Immortelle Cream Mask
Oil: Sonma Oil Sonbayu Scentless (100% horse oil... i dont really know what this mean but im kind of scared of it...)
Lip Care: DHC medicated Lip Cream
Eye Care: Guerlain Success Eye Tech Advance
Hair Care: Kerastase Nutritive Oleo Relax Antifrizz
Shampoo: Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancer Hair Conditioner
Hair Styling: Curlx Glamourous Curl
Bath Goods: House of Rose Oh!Baby Body Smoother
Soap: Lush Mitsubachimachi (Honey I washed the kids)
Body Care: New Yuskin A Family Medical Cream
Hand Care: Avene Hand cream with cold cream
Fragrance: Lanvin Eclat d'Arpege
Makeup Goods: Anna Sui Beauty Mirror
Sunscreen: Nivea Protect Water Gel SPF 25 PA++
Beauty Goods: Estee Jeune Ion Steamer Nanocare
Supplement: Fancl HTC Collagen

whew that was a lot! if anyone has any questions or wants to know more let me know Very Happy
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Does this site have English version? I can't read Japanese. Sad Sad
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
sorry jira, just as EDS and MUA are only in english, cosme.net is only in japanese, since it's largely user generated content! but if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask me and i can either check the book or poke around the site Smile
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Amami, that was fun to read!
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:13 am      Reply with quote
Thank you amami aya for translating all of these recommendations. It is always fascinating to see what products other countries have and love.

Interested in the foundations since I know Japanese ladies put alot of emphasis on that. Never head of covermark before.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:59 am      Reply with quote
amami aya wrote:
sorry jira, just as EDS and MUA are only in english, cosme.net is only in japanese, since it's largely user generated content! but if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask me and i can either check the book or poke around the site Smile

Very Happy amami aya Thank you for your generosity.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks amami aya for translating all the rankings. I am fascinated in Japanese skincare as all their products are sooooo cute...and I'm guessing they are suitable for most Asian's skin.
BTW---are you from Japan? Do you happen to know any English websites that sell Japanese brands at low costs?

Thanks! Smile
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah- im taiwanese but i used to live in japan so i also speak japanese Smile when i was living in japan though i wasnt into skincare... all i needed to keep my skin healthy, clear, and dewy was shiseido perfect whip (only 700 yen! when i think about what i spend on skincare NOW...) to wash my face and the occasional face mask for fun while soaking in a bath... ive only gotten into skincare recently because my skin seemed to go crazy after moving to california Sad im not sure about english websites that would sell japanese products for cheap though ive been trying to seek out places to find stuff... i had to use www.bobodave.com to restock on my sofina perfect uv, though, for some reason they ship that product for free, which i found to be a cheaper alternative than asking friends to buy and ship it to me Smile

cuppre, i was surprised to see covermark grab the top spots for liquid and cream foundation, i think rmk is more popular (it's always the bestseller at department stores, especially their makeup base)...however rmk only shows up as #2 on cream foundations. i think it's more common for women in japan to use pressed powder foundations because they're so portable, personally ive used shiseido maquillage for years Smile surprisingly (to me), the #2 and #3 spots for pressed powder foundation were the body shop create me packed powder type, and nars powder foundation. and #5 and #6 were dior and YSL! of the top 6 only #1 (kanebo revue essence impact) was japanese.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the website...it does seem to have a wide variety of products. But the company is based in HK, and I'm sure Japan-based webstores sell their products cheaper. But thanks for the link, I will bookmark it for when my relatives in HK dont want to buy and send things here for me Wink
hugaio
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
thank you for sharing it...
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:46 am      Reply with quote
Wonderful! I'm a Japanese skincare/cosmetics fan. This is very helpful......
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your sharing!
I will vote for:
Shiseido Eyelash curler
Covermark Essence Liquid Foundation Liquid

It surprised me that Ipsa was not on the list. They got many good cosmetics.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for translating, It's very useful. Thanks again.
Maria1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Thank you very much for all the information.
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah, i dont think ive ever seen any japan-based webstores in english... of course there are like a billion ones in japanese, but they will only ship within japan (usually with kuroneko service rather than through mail- those kuroneko people are persistent, they'll return several times a day AND for some reason usually would try to deliver while i was in the shower -_-;; ). the next time i feel like ive got $$ to burn on new cosmetics though (would be irrational at the moment since i have anything i need and more at the moment in terms of makeup, lol) ill dig around to see if there are any that ship internationally Smile

i was also surprised to see ipsa not ranked! i always see raves for ipsa products in magazines, however, the brand doesnt seem to be that popular on the site... honestly i myself havent tried any of their products before.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:11 am      Reply with quote
amami aya wrote:
those kuroneko people are persistent, they'll return several times a day AND for some reason usually would try to deliver while i was in the shower -_-;; ).

Laughing
It does seem that most Asian countries' services are much more efficient! It would be great to live in Japan just to get my parcels quicker Wink

Thanks for the look out of English websites that ship Japanese products! I've found a few on ebay though, and their prices and shipping seem reasonable.

amami aya wrote:
i was also surprised to see ipsa not ranked! i always see raves for ipsa products in magazines, however, the brand doesnt seem to be that popular on the site...

I only came across the Ipsa brand recently in HK, but cos there doesnt seem to be that many reviews on this site and MUA, I didnt know which products are good so didnt buy Sad . However, I too have seen many raves (I think) in magazines, but I cant read Chinese!
Gemstar
5% products discount

Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for translating amami aya!

Has anyone used the DHC Eyelash Tonic before, whats it like compared to the Jan Marini? Thanks.
guntz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for sharing.
I know we can buy shishido and kenabo products here, maybe DHC in the US. but I can't find Kose here in Canada.
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
It does seem that most Asian countries' services are much more efficient!

seriously!! i would get home from work and there would be like a billion notices saying they'd been there ("we tried to deliver at 9 am. we will try again at 12 pm." "we tried to deliver at 12 pm. we will try again at 2 pm" etc)- once they came back and delivered the package to me at 9pm when i called them!

gracedhy, i was pretty shocked recently when i went into a bath and bodyworks and saw that they were selling the kose sekkisei line!!
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Being a mascara junkie, I'm really tempted by that Kiss mascara on the list - anyone tried it before?
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Gemstar wrote:
Thanks for translating amami aya!

Has anyone used the DHC Eyelash Tonic before, whats it like compared to the Jan Marini? Thanks.

I would also like to know if any one tried the DHC Eyelash Tonic.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Stem Youth Serum (50 ml) Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Turbo Line Smoothing Toning Lotion (200 ml / 6.7 floz) glotherapeutics Barrier Balm (50 ml / 1.7 oz)