Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Epionce
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:14 am      Reply with quote
bethany, does Dr T mention dermal needling at all? And, please, share your thoughts about his review of various devices.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:19 am      Reply with quote
I am about 40% done....I would not recommend anyone buy until I write up a review.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:22 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I am about 40% done....I would not recommend anyone buy until I write up a review.

Waiting impatiently... Very Happy
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
bethany wrote:

Waiting impatiently... Very Happy

It is definitely a tedious read with a gazillion stats...if it was a fiction book, I would be done by now!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
4 chapters left, and I can already tell you I am giving this 2 thumbs up....I have learned a ton, but will have to re-read it again if I hope to remember any of it, lol.

FYI that this is not the kind of book where things can really be summarized in a nutshell like Dr. S's book....it is WAY more extensive than that.

And it is also NOT a sales pitch for his products like some other derms have written (though I am very glad I am using the products after reading this book).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I had to take a break....reading electronically gives me way more eye strain than a regular book. Sad And frankly, I am on complete info overload at this point. However I should be done tomorrow and will hopefully write a review tomorrow.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
Ok...I have finished the book! Review to come tomorrow.

FYI on the MelanoLyte Tx for pigmentation...I paid $75 for my first bottle via a seller on eBay, and received 1 oz in an airless pump. (Expiration was in 2014)

I just finished it, and pulled out the back up which I had purchased from Lovelyskin at 25% off for $74...I was surprised to see that it is now in a tube (very small opening to protect from air) and had 1.7 oz. Shock exp date was 2015, so this is clearly newer packaging.

I am very glad I didn't reorder from the eBay person, even though it appeared that they worked at a spa or doctor's office.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bethany, did Dr. T mention any nice oil soluble actives? please share if any, TIA!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Hi Bethany, did Dr. T mention any nice oil soluble actives? please share if any, TIA!

Daler, he basically provided a whole list of actives with an overview of what they do, clinical studies if available, etc. When I reread it, I will see if anything specific jumps out at me as "recommended."

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you bethany.

Also, since barrier protection has been discussed here I ll add that for the last few months I stopped using a cleanser in the morning, I just splash my face with plain water several times during my morning shower and it works wonderfully. I have realized that I really didn't need a cleanser in t morning, it was overkill for my skin type, just once at night is enough for me....
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I am like you daler, Ive found if I use a cleanser twice a day my skin dries up and becomes tight and sore really quickly.

I usually just use water in the am too , and either cleanse or do OCM in the pm, sometimes I dont even do that if it feels dry and I haven't had any makeup on Wink

I think though with all the stuff I am doing that I will buy the melanocyte tx( for some pigmentation on my cheek) and the facial renewal cream.
I havent ordered yet but Bethanys recs are really compelling Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
I am like you daler, Ive found if I use a cleanser twice a day my skin dries up and becomes tight and sore really quickly.

I usually just use water in the am too , and either cleanse or do OCM in the pm, sometimes I dont even do that if it feels dry and I haven't had any makeup on Wink

I think though with all the stuff I am doing that I will buy the melanocyte tx( for some pigmentation on my cheek) and the facial renewal cream.
I havent ordered yet but Bethanys recs are really compelling Very Happy

10Sylvia5, before you order the MelanoLyte I would compare it against the new SkinMedica Lytera (and read the hyperpigmentation article above). That way you can pick whichever fits best into your Skincare program because they are VERY different.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
bethany, did I miss your review of the book?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
bethany, did I miss your review of the book?

Nope...I am actually typing it up now! If you want, I can do a brief review of each chapter and include some factoids but it will take a bit longer to sift through all of my highlights.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Nope...I am actually typing it up now! If you want, I can do a brief review of each chapter and include some factoids but it will take a bit longer to sift through all of my highlights.

If you've learned a lot from the book, I will probably learn even more! So... I went and bought the last copy of the paperback book from Amazon Rolling Eyes

Please feel free to write any type of review you want. I'll like it anyway Very Happy
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
bethany wrote:

If you've learned a lot from the book, I will probably learn even more! So... I went and bought the last copy of the paperback book from Amazon Rolling Eyes

Please feel free to write any type of review you want. I'll like it anyway Very Happy

I sure hope you like it...be prepared for info overload!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
All,

Here is the initial book review, since I know there are some people interested in what it contains. I will share more info on each chapter later, including some info I personally found interesting.

Book review: New Ideal in Skin Health: Separating Fact from Fiction (Bourne, Krista; Thornfeldt, Carl)

In a nutshell, this was a very extensive read which caters to professionals thinking about starting a med spa, adding services to an existing practice, or trying to decide which skincare products to carry in their office. It contains a LOT of information…some beneficial now, as well as being a reference guide for ingredients/actives (their uses, clinicals, etc.). I think there is something for everyone in this book (meaning skin-focused consumers), but I don’t think the book is for everyone simply because not everyone likes to wade through tons of info. If you are looking for a book that says “buy this and this,” this is NOT that book. Dr. Thornfeldt presents info on many different options, along with many references to stats and clinical studies so that you can make up your own mind as to what choices you want to make.

This book was also NOT an advertisement for his products or services….”Epionce” appeared one time in reference to a skin barrier repair study, but no other Epionce products were discussed. However, in the protocol section I was able to figure out which products he was using, which I appreciated as an Epionce user.

This book is also so extensive in data that I can’t send you “a quick summary” in PM, though I can tell you this:
    - He views maintaining the skin barrier as absolutely critical - without barrier repair/protection everything else is for naught (except sunscreen) . But if you focus on the barrier, you can actually reverse extrinisic aging.

- You need 3 components for barrier repair – ceramides, cholesterol, and free fatty acids in a ratio of 3:1:1. Forty-five minutes after a barrier injury, restoring the three key lipid ratio and the function of the permeability barrier results in over 90 percent recovery as measured by TEWL.

- Anyone using traditional moisturizers, acids, retinols, or doing microdermabrasion, facial scrubs, etc. is damaging their barrier and needs to focus on barrier repair.

- Most cosmecutical/drugstore products do not contain the appropriate level of actives, nor have they been typically been clinically tested in the final formulations nor the appropriate human body part.

- There are 9 complete steps for delivery of an active at the right level to the right place in the skin. Just because you slather it on, doesn't mean it actually gets absorbed.

- Clinical studies can be misleading. The bottom line is to look for the p-value in the Results section. If the p-value is higher than 0.05, then the clinical data is not scientifically strong enough to support claims that the product works.

- The skin is an indicator of what else is happening inside the body. Various skin issues should be telling you that there are other aspects of your health that you should be considering.

To sum it up, this book tells you how to take care of your skin for the long term, how to find the best products available (and the criteria to judge them against), and helps identify the best solutions for various skin problems....whether it is a topical, an oral supplement, or a procedure.

More to come on the chapters below....

Section I Welcome to Esthetics
Chapter 1 Defining Roles

Section II Understanding the Skin
Chapter 2 Skin Basics
Chapter 3 Application of a New Understanding of Skin Health

Section III Cosmeceuticals
Chapter 4 Cosmeceuticals— OTC/ Prescription/ Professional
Chapter 5 Cosmeceutical Ingredients— What are the Claims, What are the Facts?
Chapter 6 Cosmeceuticals: Botanical Ingredients
Chapter 7 Topical Delivery of Cosmeceuticals
Chapter 8 Controversial Ingredients

Section IV Application
Chapter 9 Putting it into Practice: Choosing the Right Products
Chapter 10 Putting it into Practice: Other Therapeutic Options
Chapter 11 Putting it into Practice: Treatment Protocols
Chapter 12 Putting it into Practice: Success Tools

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Ideal-Skin-Health/dp/1932633693/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1376267087&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=thornfeldt

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

You need 3 components for barrier repair – ceramides, cholesterol, and free fatty acids in a ratio of 3:1:1. Forty-five minutes after a barrier injury, restoring the three key lipid ratio and the function of the permeability barrier results in over 90 percent recovery as measured by TEWL.

Thank you for all this info bethany!

This would be lots of ceramides; I cannot come up with an actual number but this would mean around 1 to 3% of ceramides or so if not more( not the solution containing the ceramides but the actual ceramides). AFA i know ceramides ( actual ceramides eg ceramide 3, ceramide 6 )are very very expensive and are present in mere mgs in products available.

Or did he mean by ceramides as in something like this:

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/sk-influx-v.html

may be I am totally confused here....
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
bethany wrote:

You need 3 components for barrier repair – ceramides, cholesterol, and free fatty acids in a ratio of 3:1:1. Forty-five minutes after a barrier injury, restoring the three key lipid ratio and the function of the permeability barrier results in over 90 percent recovery as measured by TEWL.

This would be lots of ceramides; I cannot come up with an actual number but this would mean around 1 to 3% of ceramides or so if not more( not the solution containing the ceramides but the actual ceramides). AFA i know ceramides ( actual ceramides eg ceramide 3, ceramide 6 )are very very expensive and are present in mere mgs in products available.

I'll see what other info I can pull for you tomorrow.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
daler wrote:
bethany wrote:

I'll see what other info I can pull for you tomorrow.

Thank you, may be I just dont know exactly what free fatty acids is.. i based my rough calculation on that...
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
gahh Why do good books have to cost $80?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
gahh Why do good books have to cost $80?

I read that people may be able share the cost of books via Kindle book clubs (you don't need a Kindle to participate)....maybe someone will want to look into that further.

FYI that I will post more info to help decide if it is something you want to read or not.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Bethany, off to check that info now!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:28 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I read that people may be able share the cost of books via Kindle book clubs (you don't need a Kindle to participate)....maybe someone will want to look into that further.

http://sharechair.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/sharing-a-kindle-account-how-to-make-a-group/

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:11 am      Reply with quote
Well my Dr T book had finally arrived, Boy Bethany, youve done brilliantly in your review.
Its very much aimed at the professional, and very comprehensive I have just skimmed it though.

I will start reading properly! But it has been enough for me to decide to order his renewal cream and the melanocyte tx .

I think they should incorporate ok into what Im using anyway.

He seems to agree with Dr Pickarts theory regarding moisturiser function and why most out there are useless or even bad for your skin barrier. Really interesting, also just because your skin is hydrated does not mean that your skin barrier is uncompromised!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |