Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Mascara 101
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I don't wear eye makeup and the main reason has been mascara issues. I stopped trying for awhile but now I'm trying again. I read in a recent thread that waterproof mascara often doesn't flake and smudge as much as the non-waterproof ones. I'm still having smudging issues but not as bad as the non-waterproof ones.

I had a thought the other day that makes a bit of sense so I thought I'd see if anyone has a solution. My friend did my makeup the other day and used the splashproof mascara from MAC. It was perfect all day so I had to go buy it. It's better than the others I've tried but it still smudges under my eyes. I just realized that when my friend did my makeup it was a few hours after I put on eye cream. When I do my makeup it's 20-30 minutes after I wash my face and use eye cream. I'm wondering if the eye cream is making my mascara "slide" off. I've tried being careful about not getting the eye cream on my lashes but that's pretty difficult.

Could this be my issue and if so, how do I fix it? Thanks!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
I don't really know the answer to your question about wait time. I don't have that problem, but I don't apply the eye cream too close to my lashes. Also, I don't wear mascara that often since I don't wear makeup on a daily basis. I heard that waterproof mascara may be drying to your lashes, which is why I don't buy it.

This article may be helpful to you:

Quote:
Mascara
Mascara is an essential feature of any makeup kit. A swish of the mascara wand can do wonders for you - it can open up your eyes and make them appear bright and beautiful. Use mascara to thicken and darken as well as lengthen your lashes. You can pick up mascara in a range of shades offered by many cosmetic brands. They come as regular or waterproof formulas. Clear mascara is used to add gloss and volume to lashes. It works well for daily use. You can apply clear mascara as a base coat too. Long wearing mascara is best for office wear. For an evening out, go in for thickening mascara to give your eyes a glamorous look. Brown and brown-black are popular mascara shades. Cosmetic mascara is available in neutral shades such as black, dark brown and dark gray as also blue, clear and other fad colors. Hypoallergenic Mascara is best suited for those with a history of allergic reaction. Always test the mascara on the back of your ear before you buy it. Keep on the lookout for any itch or rash.

Shorter lashes can be enhanced with a length enhancing mascara. Thinner lashes will become fuller with a thickening formula and longer lashes will really benefit from curling mascara. If your lashes are blond, go in for thickening and lengthening mascara and apply it in layers. Use lengthening Mascara for lovely long lashes. Glide on the mascara to cover the tips of the lashes. Such mascara wands have short bristles that are tightly packed. Volume-building mascara is ideal for those with sparse lashes. These types of mascara formulations contain polymers and wax that help build on the lashes. Ensure that all traces of mascara are removed before you go to bed. Use a cotton ball to remove al the mascara before you wash your face. This will keep your lashes in better condition and prevent any remnants of mascara from getting into your eye. Discard mascara within four months of use since it is easily prone to drying.

Applying mascara

Ensure that the mascara covers your lashes from root to tip.

Wipe off excess mascara from the wand with a tissue before application. This prevents blobs of mascara on your lashes.

A shorter mascara brush will give you more control, especially when applying it at the corner of your eyes.

Pay attention to the mascara at the roots of your lashes

You can choose to apply mascara only on your upper lashes.

Hold the mascara wand vertically when applying to the lower lashes. You can prevent smudges by applying powder to the area below your lashes.

Apply mascara after eye shadow and eyeliner.

Brushing your lashes with a damp toothbrush might help tackle clumping of mascara on the lashes.

Lash comb or a spiral brush can be used after the mascara dries to remove any clumps mascara left behind. This will give lashes a more natural look.

Waterproof mascara

Waterproof mascara formulations are not water-soluble. Waterproof mascara is used by athletes and swimmers and is ideal for brides who might shed a tear on their special day. You wouldn't want to ruin your makeup on your wedding day, would you? On a rainy day, you may want to opt for waterproof mascara to avoid resembling a raccoon. Waterproof mascara is not suitable for everyday use. They can be drying to the eyelashes and need to be carefully removed with an oil-based remover to dissolve the mascara makeup. Contact lens wearers should stick to waterproof mascara formulas, as they break down more slowly, minimizing the chance of any flakes getting into the eyes.

Source: http://www.targetwoman.com/articles/mascara.html
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
I have had the same problem with every mascara that I have ever used (even waterproof). Not only are my eyelids oily but so is the area directly below my lower lashes. No eyeliner for me! Sad
I have often wished that there was such a thing as a mascara "sealer" similar to the ones that you can use over lipstick - (only mascara related of course)Question Has anyone ever come across a product like this?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I thought about your question again this morning. It dawned on me that I normally don't apply the mascara in the morning since I don't wear any makeup to work. I will use a mascara if I were to go out in the evening. By then, any eye cream would probably wear out. So maybe you're right about the wait time.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
I have often wished that there was such a thing as a mascara "sealer" similar to the ones that you can use over lipstick - (only mascara related of course)Question Has anyone ever come across a product like this?
Clarins has something like this, but I can't recall it's exact name, even though I used it for years Embarassed (before I stopped wearing mascara altogether). It's a clear "topcoat" for lashes that can turn any brand or type of mascara into a waterproof formulation. I think it was in the $20+USD range but a tube of it lasted for ages.

ETA: Here it is! It's called Clarins Fix'Mascara: http://us.clarins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=C050203005&storeId=10051&catalogId=10204&langId=-1&catentryId=24260

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Urban Decay makes one.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P74309&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=3806
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'll have to check out those top coat sealers. I was also going to try primer. When my friend did my makeup she didn't use anything but the mascara and it was perfect all day. When I use the exact same stuff I get raccoon eyes. It made me think it was the eye cream. I'll try to be more careful about getting that on my lashes. Maybe if I just slow down a bit. Thanks for the help!
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:38 am      Reply with quote
This forum is the best. I'm sure that one of the two brands of "sealer" will be in my makeup kit before the end of the week. It will just be the one that I can find first!! Thanks carekate & yogi.
I think that I'll also watch the placement of my eye cream. I don't apply it next to my lashline but the older that I get, the more it migrates Neutral . I'll just keep it further away - like around my chin.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |