Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My hair is thinning-help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Liv Luvs LS
5% products discount

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
I recently turned 40 and have noticed over the past year my hair has been thinning quite a bit.I don't have any bald spots but is more thinning all over especially on top. My BF says it's not noticable-but I think he's just trying to make me feel better. I am panicked every time I run my fingers through my hair at how thin it feels. I have an appt with a dermatologist next month. I have never had thick hair-but with styling products I could get volume. My mother is in her late 60's and has VERY thin hair-you can see her scalp. It is a very sensitive subject so I've never asked her if she has tried any treatments. Also her mother had very thin hair so this has to be hereditary.

I need advice! Supplements? Shampoos? Does Rogaine work? Help! Sad
Andrea38
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Liv

Sorry about your hair . I know how you feel-
I'm nearly 40 and mine is thinning too. I had very thick hair in my teens, and it became finer at some point and then thinner, recently.
There was a thread about rogaine, last week- maby you can find it if you do a search- or just keep going back in time until you see a post titled:
rogaine?

I'm not sure if it was capitallized or not.
But I do recall that there is a product that someone has mentioned thast is supposed to work
for brows and I think for your hair too- it
has something called

KGF

in it.... Hope this helps abit- but I wish I had the full name for you! I'll look into it and try to get back to you with more.

Yeah, the thinning hair is a drag isn't it??

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:04 am      Reply with quote
I don't suggest Rogaine. From what I understand you would have to keep using it.

I do a few at home treatments to keep my baby fine hair from thinning. If right now you feel you have a severe problem, I would get Nioxin. Excellent line for hair that is falling out. Several years ago I used it most successfully.

http://www.nioxin.com/

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Liv Luvs LS
5% products discount

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Winnie-I looked at the website and located several Nioxin distrubutors close to home. I will be purchasing today-how long does it take to notice any difference?
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi!

Check http://wholehealthmd.com for suggestions on supplements to take for your hair.

Good luck!
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Liv Luvs LS wrote:
Thanks Winnie-I looked at the website and located several Nioxin distrubutors close to home. I will be purchasing today-how long does it take to notice any difference?

After a few treatments I noticed that there was not as much hair in the sink after styling. After using the shampoo, conditioner, and treatment for two weeks I could feel little stubble's of new growth around my hair line.

What I like about Nioxin is at some point you can go back to regular shampoo.

Once I got the falling out under control I use a good quality shampoo and I add essential oils of rosemary, mint and some sea kelp. One of my friends makes up a spay for me pre-styling. After you get things under control I am sure forum members will be happy to help you with recipes. Smile

I highly recommend the Nioxin route for several months. Great line!!!!

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, Nioxin didn't help me and I chose not to continue Rogaine because of the lifetime committment. It has taken me a few years, but have finally come to grips with my hair loss. Rolling Eyes I hope you have better success with Nioxin. Sears department stores carry Nioxin in their hair salons.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Penelope wrote:
Unfortunately, Nioxin didn't help me and I chose not to continue Rogaine because of the lifetime committment. It has taken me a few years, but have finally come to grips with my hair loss. Rolling Eyes I hope you have better success with Nioxin. Sears department stores carry Nioxin in their hair salons.

Penelope, what did you do to help hair loss? The more input the better. Smile

Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Winnie!

My hairdresser suggested a daily dose of biotin supplement but found that after a month I kept forgetting to take it so I can't say if it would have helped or not. After using a full bottle of both Nioxin shampoo and conditioner I didn't notice any hair growing back and didn't notice any reduction in hair loss. After 6 months, the same amount of hair was in the drain either way.

I have just accepted the fact that I have female pattern baldness. My hair is very fine and thin to begin with and have noticed an increase in hair loss by my temples during the past 2 years or so. Now I just style my hair in such a way as to cover those areas.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I highly recommend a product called Triaxon.

I started using it after lots of hair loss after my 3rd child.
I am still using it, as well, my mom and aunts have quite thin hair as well.
If in Canada, it is available at www.theshoppingchannel.com
They used to have a 6 month guarantee on the product as well.
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:32 am      Reply with quote
If you haven't already, try and get a blood test to ensure you are not short of iron. I was very anaemic and my hair was thinning, now with the help of iron tablets it's improving. Also, some medications can cause hair loss in certain people. I was taking Progesterone to control my heavy periods, and my hair started coming out in handfuls. I stopped taking them, and now it's normal again.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Penelope wrote:
Hi Winnie!

My hairdresser suggested a daily dose of biotin supplement but found that after a month I kept forgetting to take it so I can't say if it would have helped or not. After using a full bottle of both Nioxin shampoo and conditioner I didn't notice any hair growing back and didn't notice any reduction in hair loss. After 6 months, the same amount of hair was in the drain either way.

I have just accepted the fact that I have female pattern baldness. My hair is very fine and thin to begin with and have noticed an increase in hair loss by my temples during the past 2 years or so. Now I just style my hair in such a way as to cover those areas.

It is so great to hear from you. I hope this thread get more and more great ideas concerning hair loss for woman. Sorry Nioxin did not work for you. Never give up hope. There are always new things hitting the market. Just recently I heard red light therapy helps with hair loss. Give Alex or Peter a call at Advanced Therapeutics. They are extremely helpful and honest. I use the Quasar for my skin but have been thinking of trying it on my husbands hairline. I have no first hand experience or results to discuss but find it interesting.

There are many articles on the web in regard to Red Light Therapy and hair loss. I need to read up on this more. These articles might be of interest for those who have advanced thinning concerns.

hopeful
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Liv Luvs LS wrote:
I recently turned 40 and have noticed over the past year my hair has been thinning quite a bit.I don't have any bald spots but is more thinning all over especially on top. My BF says it's not noticable-but I think he's just trying to make me feel better. I am panicked every time I run my fingers through my hair at how thin it feels. I have an appt with a dermatologist next month. I have never had thick hair-but with styling products I could get volume. My mother is in her late 60's and has VERY thin hair-you can see her scalp. It is a very sensitive subject so I've never asked her if she has tried any treatments. Also her mother had very thin hair so this has to be hereditary.

I need advice! Supplements? Shampoos? Does Rogaine work? Help! Sad

hi liv luvs ls, i really recommend nioxin for your hair, (i a am a hairdresser) i used to work in a shop that also worked with hair extenstions and wigs, we had a lot of chemo therapy patients and nioxin worked great for them, it is highly recommened from the american cancer society. nioxin has really expanded there line over the years and now has styling products as well. there product bionutrient actives scalp therapy is wonderful, my husband uses it and i love it for my legs when i shave (no razor burn its great) they also have different levels as well, i would go to a nioxin salon and let them feel and look at your hair so they can recommend the right products.hth Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Penelope wrote:

hi penelope, how long ago have you tried nixion, they have add a lot of new products to it.i feel so bad for you, i will do a search on something that may help and get back to you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:35 am      Reply with quote
I used Nioxin years ago and had great success with it. My hair was vibrant, full & no hair loss. But, after I started regularly dyeing my hair, I found the strong sulfates in Nioxin would dry my hair & strip the color...yes, it was the version for colored har. TEA-lauryl sulfates & I don't get along. If you need a DHT inhibitor to treat hair loss..and remember shampoo alone won't do it...an alternative may be DS Labs. They make a great shampoo (actually a whole system) that is sulfate-free and is a DHT inhibitor. Sold on EDS
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi Liv Luvs Ls,

I'm not sure where you are at but Swissmiss seamed to have great success with something called Alpicort F:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22798&highlight=alpicort

She also mentioned something called Alpecin.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=215211&highlight=alpicort#215211
Both sound very promising but might be a little hard to get a hold of.

5% products discount

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
This board is wonderful-thanks to all of you for your recommendations! I went to GNC today and purchased Ultra-Nourish Hair which has 1200mcg biotin,500mg MSM and amino acid complex
I also purchased vitamin b complex 50, vitamin C 1000mg and vitamin E 400mg after reading supplement recommendations on wholehealthMD. evening primrose oil and flaxseed oil were also suggested.I already take Centrum multi-vitamin so I hope all these addtional supplements are ok.

I went to a few salons today looking for Nioxin (their website listed these as distrubutors) with no luck. I'm going to try again tomorrow.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
I would go for vitamine. I have nioxin as well, it doesn't do anything...and it costs so much more compared to vitamin

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Liv:

Please keep us updated on your results.

5% products discount

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Folic acid and B vitamin supplements are good for hair growth and strengthening your hair.

5% products discount

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Day 1 with Nioxin -I spoke with a Nioxin rep and was told I should see results in 30-45 days.

System 3 for chemically treated fine hair with beginning stages of hair loss
This is what I used:

Cleanser & Scalp Therapy The smell of the shampoo/conditioner is kinda minty-not bad.

Scalp Treatment-applied directly to scalp leave in Bottle said redness may occur on scalp but I did not have any.

Styling Products
Root booster
Hair spray

My hair feels very soft but I still have lots of fly aways and short hairs on top which are hard to tame.

I have a layered style that flips at the ends that requires a really good blowdry to look good-I'm still trying to perfect it.

Please Keep your fingers crossed for me that the Nioxin will work!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml) Pro-Derm Stem Youth Serum (50 ml) glotherapeutics Barrier Balm (50 ml / 1.7 oz)