Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
What is the correct way to wash your hair?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:41 am      Reply with quote
It seems like a dumb question but my hairdresser told me that I have pimples on my scalp and that can block the hair follicles thus hair regrowth! I was sooooo scared when I heard that cos I already dont have much hair on the part of my scalp that has the pimples. She told me to use gentle shampoos and conditioners and that to NEVER massage them directly on the scalp, but work my way up from the tip. Whilst I cant see how that makes a difference, I tried asking her, she kinda avoided the question though.

So is this true? Have you heard similar things?

Thanks
yy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I never heard that exactly. I just heard from a friend who is a hairdresser that if you have oily scalp, you should just put conditioner to the ends of your hair. As far as shampooing, use SLS free shampoo. But I think if you don't put the shampoo on your scalp, then your scalp will have a lot of gunk which leads to more clogged pores.
hopeful
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
hi yeah yeah, i have always been taught to massage the scalp , not to avoid it. the trick to get your shampoo and conditoners is to thoroughly rinse, you dont want to leave residue on your scalp.hth

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies!

So when massaging the scalp with the shampoo, would I have to work up a lather in my hand first then apply to the scalp?

As for the only applying conditioner to the tips, I've always read that oily haired people should do this. I tried that but couldnt really see much of a difference! Maybe its cos my hair is too oily no matter what Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
you always want to emulsify shampoo or conditioner in your hands first, then apply to your scalp and work your way down the hair shaft.what kind of conditioner are you using?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
yeah yeah

You might also give Head & Shoulders Intensive Conditioning a try ... I've read that people use it to clear up their back acne, so it might have a good effect on scalp pimples, too.

It has a bit of a sulfur smell, but even though I don't have dandruff (or scalp pimples) I use it at least once a week because it leaves my hair really fluffy.

Cathy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi YY,
how was your holiday to HKG?

To answer your question, I wet my hair in the shower but upside down i.e. the hair follicles are hanging the right way down. Then I take shampoo in my palm, rub it between my palms and then massage it in the hair (scalp included). Then massage my scalp a bit before washing it off.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
hopeful wrote:
you always want to emulsify shampoo or conditioner in your hands first, then apply to your scalp and work your way down the hair shaft.what kind of conditioner are you using?

Ah right...I've always just slapped the shampoo onto my scalp. Thanks for clarifying the actual method to wash my hair!
I use Treseme conditioner, which seems to be ok, makes my hair quite shiny and smooth.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
cathy_jean wrote:
yeah yeah

You might also give Head & Shoulders Intensive Conditioning a try ... I've read that people use it to clear up their back acne, so it might have a good effect on scalp pimples, too.

It has a bit of a sulfur smell, but even though I don't have dandruff (or scalp pimples) I use it at least once a week because it leaves my hair really fluffy.

Cathy

Hi Cathy

I too have read about the Head and Shoulders. Some people use it on their face!!!

But I've used the citrus one thats designed for oily/greasy hair and whilst that worked at first, soon my hair was greasy and lanky.

Is the intensive conditioning range any different to the citrus one?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Vidisha Lala wrote:
Hi YY,

To answer your question, I wet my hair in the shower but upside down i.e. the hair follicles are hanging the right way down. Then I take shampoo in my palm, rub it between my palms and then massage it in the hair (scalp included). Then massage my scalp a bit before washing it off.

Hi Vidisha!

The holiday was good, but my skin was bad!!!!!! Had new pimples every day--maybe cos m skin was super oily, the sunscreen and the pollution, I dont know!

And suprisingly I havent bought that many things cos all the packaging was in Japanese or Korean! And the SA's didnt really know their stuff, well maybe they just didnt fully understand English.

Thanks for your tip! The bath cubicle in the student halls is so small, I can only try out your method when I go home!

yy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
hopeful wrote:

Ah right...I've always just slapped the shampoo onto my scalp. Thanks for clarifying the actual method to wash my hair!
I use Treseme conditioner, which seems to be ok, makes my hair quite shiny and smooth.

aquage makes a great light detangling conditioner, and goldwell is another great brand. i have been using the ice elements ice cap on my daughters hair, she has oily hair and her scalp can get pretty flakey, and thats been working very well for her.hth

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hello there!

I think you should try an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse after shampoo and conditioner. So lets say, wash ur hair with a Sulfate free shampoo, apply conditioner (not to ur roots) and in an empty half gallon container pour 1 teaspoon of ACV then fill with cool water, use this to remove ur conditioner (or after) and make sure to get it on ur scalp. It will also help make ur hair shinier and help to balance ur scalp oils. You can do it once a week. A good ACV is Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. You can find it at health food stores.

Another good one is Rosemary. You can boil Rosemary leaves and let the water cool a bit, then use the Rosemary rinse instead of the ACV to rinse out conditioner or after conditioner. You could alternate between the two, or you could mix the Rosemary water with ACV. Rosemary has been known to help stimulate the follicles, make hair grow stronger, and slow down hair loss, among other things.

HTH!! Smile Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
cathy_jean wrote:
yeah yeah

Cathy

Hi Cathy

I too have read about the Head and Shoulders. Some people use it on their face!!!

But I've used the citrus one thats designed for oily/greasy hair and whilst that worked at first, soon my hair was greasy and lanky.

Hi YY

I think it is different as it has selenium sulfide in it (hence, the sulfur smell). It is supposed to be good for dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. I also know it is good for killing fungus, as I got started using it as a preventative on my own hair when one of my cats picked up ringworm. To my surprise, I really like the way this product leaves my hair! Of course, everyone's hair and skin is different, so I'm not sure how you would like it. But my cat got over his ringworm more than 3 years ago, and I still use this at least once a week (and often more than that). I must admit that it is a VERY unlikely beauty product!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi Cathy

Hmm, I'm intrigued at this shampoo! It shouldnt be that expensive...I'm gonna try this out when I go the supermarkets. But being so lazy, I dont think I will step foot in one until I break up for the Christmas holidays Embarassed . But I will definately give this shampoo a try!

Thanks Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:03 am      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
Vidisha Lala wrote:
Hi YY,

Hi Vidisha!

The holiday was good, but my skin was bad!!!!!! Had new pimples every day--maybe cos m skin was super oily, the sunscreen and the pollution, I dont know!

And suprisingly I havent bought that many things cos all the packaging was in Japanese or Korean! And the SA's didnt really know their stuff, well maybe they just didnt fully understand English.

Thanks for your tip! The bath cubicle in the student halls is so small, I can only try out your method when I go home!

yy

Hi YY, Glad you had a good holiday. Shame about the pimples. Am sure they will clear in time. Enjoy the rest of the evening. Vidisha

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Apparently you can crush asprin and add that to your shampoo. I think that would help as it helps unblock the pores on the face ... just an idea!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
pandora77 wrote:
Apparently you can crush asprin and add that to your shampoo. I think that would help as it helps unblock the pores on the face ... just an idea!

Interesting - I will have to try this.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
cathy_jean wrote:
yeahyeah wrote:
cathy_jean wrote:
yeah yeah

Cathy

Hi Cathy

Hi YY

I think it is different as it has selenium sulfide in it (hence, the sulfur smell). It is supposed to be good for dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. I also know it is good for killing fungus, as I got started using it as a preventative on my own hair when one of my cats picked up ringworm. To my surprise, I really like the way this product leaves my hair! Of course, everyone's hair and skin is different, so I'm not sure how you would like it. But my cat got over his ringworm more than 3 years ago, and I still use this at least once a week (and often more than that). I must admit that it is a VERY unlikely beauty product!

Hello Cathy

Because I started to have a few pimples around my hairline (I blame this on my poor diet!), I went to the supermarket and some drugstores and I couldnt find the Head and Shoulders Intensive conditioning range. Are you from America? Do you/or anyone else happen to what it is called in the UK?

Thanks! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
when i shaved part of my head, i would get a few bumps that were like acne, i use neutrogena T gel and it works very well to get rid of them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:59 am      Reply with quote
I think the shampoo containing SLS is Okay if the tap water in youe area is hard. I use that kind of shampoo and my scalp is clean.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |