Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
40 yrs old and feel like a newbie
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
colleens
5% products discount

Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so lost. I've never worn much makeup or had a true cleansing skincare routine. Most of the time I go to sleep with my make up on. Under my powder foundation, I use a touch of whatever moisturizer sample the cosmetic counter gave me free and occasional acne spot treatment.

I had quite oily skin growing up (i live in Humid Houston), which is a curse and blessing. Annoying to have your makeup wipe off so easily (even the kind that doesn't wipe off) but nice cause i didn't have to use 20000 moisturizing products. Lately I noticed my cheeks getting tight/dry in the winter. I'm definatly combo skin now.

I've tried starting tazorac cream every other day (for sun/age spots, anti-wrinkle). This tube just expired though so I need to replace it. I was thinking of going with the retin line... Retin-A Cream or gel, Retin-A Micro, Renuva... I'm not sure which would be best for combo skin. I read that the Retin-A Micro helps with excess oil which would be nice. I'm not prone to acne and if I got on a skin care plan the occasional pimple I do get would probably vanish. The Dermatologist gave me a spot lightener RX -- solage solution but it is just a wand spot lighteing treatment.

Any suggestions on products? I'm even more confused after reading this board. CP, Retin & vit C all good, but cannot combine CP with AHAs, BHAs, Retin, Vit C...

I'm pretty much starting from scratch. I've been looking at Paula's Choice but read some mixed reviews. I don't want to spend 100+ per bottle, but I know I don't want to show my hubby the receipts when I'm done Shock

I REALLY appreciate any help or suggestions!
bugfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
i just think you need moisturizer whatever your skin type is. Esp. you need water but not oil.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm afraid that I don't have your skin-type, so am not au fait with products that will help, but I think it's a good idea if you start cleansing your skin properly from now on, particularly at night. I know that sticking to a routine can be time-consuming and seem pointless, but it is important if you want to take care of your skin.

I would probably also use a light moisturiser, especially on the drier parts. Pay attention to your skin, as its needs may change and you'll probably require more moisturisation in the colder weather and less in warmer - as you've already realised.

Sun protection is also a must if you want to keep your skin in good condition. The sun can be very aging.

I won't make any suggestions as to anti-aging products - as, like I said, my skin is very different to yours. Hopefully, others with comparable skin will be able to do that for you.

Good luck with building up a routine. It needn't be complicated or expensive - just a question of finding what suits both you and your skin.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to EDS!

Some suggestions:

Always wash your face b4 bed. Use gentle cleansers w/ a pH of around 5.5.
Always wear sunscreen, at least 30spf.
Proven anti-aging pdts - vit c, retin a(start slowly, maybe w/ OTC retinol pdts), s/s.
For controlling oiliness, try bha, silk powder.
You will need different products in winter and summer.

Also, you just need to start reading as many threads on EDS as possible to start learning. I was sort of in your position a year ago. It has taken me months of reading and experimenting to gain some knowledge about skin and skincare. HTH

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Welcome colleens Smile

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Retin A is a good place to start. Sunscreen is essential. You might also want to consider a light moisturizer. If you use a product like PSF ALA in squalane you get the moisture from the oil and a strong antioxidant as well. Good luck!
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Colleens & Welcome to the forum. This is a great place and just by searching around and reading posts you will be much more educated on skincare in no time at all.

First and foremost - Always wash your make-up off and cleanse your face before bed. Very, very important. Your skin regenerates and heals the most while you are sleeping. Make-up left on overnight can clog your pores, cause blemishes, and prevent your skin from breathing and healing properly.

Combo skin that is not prone to break-outs has many options available in the skin care arena. You can use a nice low ph cleanser, Retin-A product for anti aging, followed by a nice moisturizer and a separate eye cream. OR you can start slowly with cooper peptides (for overall skin rejuvenation) and incorporate a 2% BHA to help clear pores, gently exfoliate, and control oily areas. Again follow-up with a nice eye cream. You really do not extra moisturizer for the face if you go with CP's & BHA as they help the skin retain its own natural moisture base. Vitamin C is terrific and can be incorporated with either of these skin care plans, just remember that if you are using cooper peptides & vitamin C use one product in the AM and the other product in the PM.

5% products discount

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I ordered some Silken Pearl primer powder to help control the oil. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am still wading through the message boards trying to decide what other products to get and whether to go the Retin-A route or CP. I've got about 3 pages of notes already!
colleens
5% products discount

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
After reading more on the forumns I realized I think I probably have mild rosacea. The dermatologist I went to yesterday didn't mention it, but neither did I since I was in there for a mole on my stomach and some age spots on my face.

A rep from Ulta Cosmetics told me once i had mild rosacea and that I shouldn't be using (cheap) AHA/BHA products like Neutrogena. She got me to buy their brand toner which made my face feel too greasy. I'm sure it washed the oil off my face, but it didn't feel like it.

As far as my possible rosacea goes, the front of my cheeks (where you would put the red circles if you wanted to paint on clown makeup) are slightly reddish. No other symptoms that I can tell. Irritated eyes, but I work on computers ALL day long. I don't really like mascarra though, it tends to make my eyes more irritable. Maybe that's part of it too then? My mother has the same problem -- red cheeks. But she does kind of wear her blush in the clown circle area. Not sure why. Maybe that's her method of cover-up. My father's father had the polish bulbous nose. So I guess I got hit with the heredity stick.

It does seem silly to pile powder base on the front of your cheeks to conceal and then add blush to the cheek bone after (while trying to avoid not adding color to the already over colored area).

After digging in my makeup drawers, I found some goodies...Looks like I buy stuff, just don't follow through and create a routine...

**An unopened bar of Mild Clinique soap -- trash... not mild... my face is still irritated.
    **Color Me Beautiful Proof Positive Daily Defense Oil-Free Oily Skin Moisturizer (I used this for a while as my SS. It's ok in the oily parts of my face but not emulsifying enough in the dryer cheek/eye area. I used this for about a month then quit cause it was too light for the dry parts. I don't think it really reduced the oil production of the oily parts either.
    **Color Me Beautiful Vit C serum caplets Is there an expiration on this type of product if each one is in it's own little caplet pod? I think it's only a year old.
    **emu oil on top of the vit c serum

I guess I had more stuff I could begin with than I though Smile

I'm not sure how *possibly* having mild rosacea affects using retin-a or CP. Anyone use these?
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:57 am      Reply with quote
What are your major concerns? Wrinkles/lines? Adult acne/break-outs? Hyperpigmentation?

My suggestions are:
1)Wear sunscreen (not just with SPF but stable and high UVA protection too) daily, winter or summer, rain or shine, to prevent further aging and spots. These web pages have helped me a lot. Now I just have to share them: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenFAQ http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreens

2)Use gentle cleanser like Cetaphil and remove makeup before going to bed (cleansing wipes and cleansing oil are good for doing that).

Retinoids (vitamin A derivatives) are for treating wrinkles and lines. BHA (salicylic acid) is for acne and blackheads. Vitamin C is an antioxidant, which is suppose to prevent aging. You don't have to use all of them. Just choose what you need. Retinoids and BHA can make your skin more prone to sun damage so it's better to use them at night.

I think Avene and La Roche Posay have products(esp. basics like cleanser and moisturiser) for redness and sensitive skin. Look into them? I wouldn't suggest using a lot of fancy products. A simple regime is better.

5% products discount

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I want to focus on prevention and reverse some of the aging signs I have noticed over the last couple years. I've got oily skin, but no acne issues except the infrequent hormal spot or 2. No really noticible wrinkles, but don't want any in the near future either Razz

I'm blonde with fair skin and sunscreen/prevention wasn't stressed when I was a teenager. I've had some age spots become much more visible. It seems to me like they popped up almost overnight, but I know that's not the case. That's what triggered me wanting to develop a skin care routine.

My dermatologist gave me a lightening prescription -- Solage -- for the spots on my face. I want to prevent more though. I don't wear much makeup, and I don't want to start.

So... prevention and reverse some of the signs of aging that come with being 40.
colleens
5% products discount

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I decided to hold off on retin or CP for now and just start with good cleansing, moisturizing, sunscreen routine.

I order a ton of samples from PSF Skincare. I think I'll have their entire product line-up to try now Laughing

It was hard to resist trying all of the various products when they were only ~$2 each. Although the $2 did add up. Figured this would give me a good start and if I don't like something, I didn't invest much.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!
plug-in-babe
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
I think for prevention of spots, a HIGH PPD photostable sunscreen, not just any sunscreen, is a must. Please read those MakeupAlley pages mentioned in my previous post. They have product recommendations.

5% products discount

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
I've read the posts you linked to. Very good info! THanks. I ordered a sample of an SPF50 facial suncsceen that is a combination of chemical and physical block. I'm going to reread and see if I can find some other samples or anything better, but the info you provided enabled me to find one that sounds like it may work with my oily skin and 50 is much better than my 15.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |