Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Mixing butters
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
soccermominsd
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
How do you mix these into your creams? I purchased mango butter from GOW and want to incorporate it into my anti-aging cream. I had previously purchased shea butter, but geez Louise I couldn't get it to 'blend'. Do I have to melt it and how do I do that? Via microwave, pan, water bath?

TIA-
soccermom

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
You could melt it in a mircowave, but go slow, you don't want to overheat the shea. How much shea will you be adding to your cream? How much cream? If you have enough, you can put them in a small container and take a stick blender to them. Smile
soccermominsd
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for replying.

I'm actually going to try the Mango butter this time vs the shea butter. I usually mix up small batches of actives cream...so a total of 4 oz of cream.

What is the percentage of butter's typically added to this kind of moisturizing wrinkle cream?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Some people theorize that you lose some of the actives in a butter when you heat it up. Also, if it's in a plastic container, toxins can potentially leech into the butter since most toxins in plastic are lipophilic (attracted to fat).

Personally, I don't mix butters into existing creams, but I do create some DIY concoctions with butters. I find that using a little plastic spatula to stir them up really helps soften and nearly liquefy them for blending. I do this for a LONG time and make sure they're VERY thoroughly blended, with no lumps at all.

I've always thought of it sort of like baking a cake - you have to cream the butter before you go adding other liquid ingredients, or it just doesn't all get emulsified well. Same principle applies - so try creaming your butter with a little spatula, then mixing in a very small amount of the cream you're adding it to and blending that in thoroughly, and then blend more and more cream slowly until it's all well-mixed. I'm not SURE if this will work, but I think you'll have more luck this way and won't lose any of the beneficial properties of the butters.

Hope this helps!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |