Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Retisol A and Stevia A, anyone familiar with these?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dksnf68
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone, I was at my doctor today and mentioned I wanted to try a Tretinoin type product and she gave me a prescription for
Stieva A .05%, which I'm probably going to order online.

In the meantime she gave me a box of Retisol A .01% 3g tubes to try. This is one that I've never heard of and it has a sunscreen. Confused Anyone ever try those? I think they are more well known in Canada.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Anyone? Sad Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:38 am      Reply with quote
I used retisol A years ago. Please don't rely on it as a sunscreen. I never liked the idea of using retin-a during the day & I don't feel the sunscreen in it is enough protection. The product itself is good but use it at night. The steiva one is just a different brand name for retin-a. It's very common in Canada.
dksnf68
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:23 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
I used retisol A years ago. Please don't rely on it as a sunscreen. I never liked the idea of using retin-a during the day & I don't feel the sunscreen in it is enough protection. The product itself is good but use it at night. The steiva one is just a different brand name for retin-a. It's very common in Canada.

Marina, Thanks so much for posting. How did you like the Retisol A, did it do anything for you? What are you using now instead? Also you can use this at night even though it has sunscreen Confused Sorry for all the questions!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:34 am      Reply with quote
You CAN use it at night. The only difference I found was that, with the addition of the the sunscreen, the lotion was slightly more moisturizing than retin-a itself. It had a more elegant feel. We're talking years ago when my skin was much oilier. I was still too oily to be able to use Renova (too rich) but retin-a left me dry and well...dry! I stopped using retin-a a long time ago...I discovered so many products I couldn't fit it in. Plus, I had to stop every summer since it exacerbates melasma..skin is more sensitive. If I were to go back (I'm thinking about it) I would use renova 3 times a week.

I liked it while I was using it. Retin-a (any form) is not something you use for a couple of months and drop. It takes a while before you see results & when you start, be prepared for redness & peeling. It depends on what you're using it for as well. Acne or ageing? For acne, results are much faster & you would probably be best off with stieva if you're very oily. As an anti-ager, it's a long term commitment and results are harder to gauge. Everyone's different.

Any other questions, ask away! I'll do my best.
dksnf68
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
You CAN use it at night. The only difference I found was that, with the addition of the the sunscreen, the lotion was slightly more moisturizing than retin-a itself. It had a more elegant feel. We're talking years ago when my skin was much oilier. I was still too oily to be able to use Renova (too rich) but retin-a left me dry and well...dry! I stopped using retin-a a long time ago...I discovered so many products I couldn't fit it in. Plus, I had to stop every summer since it exacerbates melasma..skin is more sensitive. If I were to go back (I'm thinking about it) I would use renova 3 times a week.

I liked it while I was using it. Retin-a (any form) is not something you use for a couple of months and drop. It takes a while before you see results & when you start, be prepared for redness & peeling. It depends on what you're using it for as well. Acne or ageing? For acne, results are much faster & you would probably be best off with stieva if you're very oily. As an anti-ager, it's a long term commitment and results are harder to gauge. Everyone's different.

Any other questions, ask away! I'll do my best.

Marina, What do you use in place of A products? You used Retisol A cream and it didn't break you out? I wanted a prescription tretinoin product for antiaging. I do have breakout prone skin and this is what worries me, because I hear the tretinoin creams are very comedogenic, and I don't want to be covered with pimples Exclamation

I have a Rx for Stevia A, but am unsure if I should go with the gel or cream. It's all so confusing. There is no derm in my area, I rely on my reg physician, she didn't give me much info and I can't seem to find much on how gel versus cream with those products. Also I read that you should use these products only a couple of times a week to avoid irritation. It is all very confusing to me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not using anything right now to replace it..I'm using glycolic acids but I am thinking of going back to 3X a week use at some pooint for photoaging. I didn't fing retisol A too greasy at 40..and I was still very oily then. Don't get the gel if you're afraid of irritation. That stuff burned my face off & I'm not that sensitive. If you have no derm in your area start with the mildest and work up after a while..01% is as mild as you're going to get..unless you meant .1%..that's a whole other thing. Since you have samples, you can try it a couple of times a week. I'd feel better if you could see a derm though. This isn't just a moisturizer..05% is pretty strong so I wouldn't start with it until you see how it goes. Retisol isn't greasy, renova is. Steiva is drying.

Another thing, why do you have to order on-line.Is it that much cheaper? Retisol was about $20 when I used to get it.

If you want to know my skincare routine, you can always pm me.
dksnf68
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
I'm not using anything right now to replace it..I'm using glycolic acids but I am thinking of going back to 3X a week use at some pooint for photoaging. I didn't fing retisol A too greasy at 40..and I was still very oily then. Don't get the gel if you're afraid of irritation. That stuff burned my face off & I'm not that sensitive. If you have no derm in your area start with the mildest and work up after a while..01% is as mild as you're going to get..unless you meant .1%..that's a whole other thing. Since you have samples, you can try it a couple of times a week. I'd feel better if you could see a derm though. This isn't just a moisturizer..05% is pretty strong so I wouldn't start with it until you see how it goes. Retisol isn't greasy, renova is. Steiva is drying.

Another thing, why do you have to order on-line.Is it that much cheaper? Retisol was about $20 when I used to get it.

If you want to know my skincare routine, you can always pm me.

The Retisol I was given by my doctor is only .01% The Stevia A prescription is .05%, I'm wondering if I should just change it and go with the .025% Geeze it is confusing, I wish there were a derm here to consult with. I'd have to get on a flight or drive 8 hours one way to see a derm. I'm in Labrador. I was going to get the Stevia gel because I thought the cream would clog my pores, I'm having second thoughts now Confused
I guess I don't have to order online, I didn't realize it was inexpensive, I thought it was really pricy! Thanks for filling me in Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Wow. Labrador is a beautiful part of the country..lucky girl.

Don't rush things. Try the weakest one (I think that's the .01%..I'm a little tired) and see how you go. I don't know how resilient your skin is so I would play it safe. Also, the retisol is slightly weaker than the regular retin-a since the sunscreen in it dilutes it somewhat. Just start with 2X or 3X a week (use your samples) and if that's too moisturizing or not strong enough, go for the steiva in the same strength. The steiva is stronger because it isn't diluted. The gels are usually recommended for really resilient skin (usually teens with acne). I don't think it's necessary to go that route.

See how you do with the samples. If you would like, there's no harm in starting with the .025% and getting the second prescription upped to .05% Again, I don't know what else you're using so I would be careful. Just don't rush it. I did & the flaking & peeling wasn't worth it.
dksnf68
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
Wow. Labrador is a beautiful part of the country..lucky girl.

Don't rush things. Try the weakest one (I think that's the .01%..I'm a little tired) and see how you go. I don't know how resilient your skin is so I would play it safe. Also, the retisol is slightly weaker than the regular retin-a since the sunscreen in it dilutes it somewhat. Just start with 2X or 3X a week (use your samples) and if that's too moisturizing or not strong enough, go for the steiva in the same strength. The steiva is stronger because it isn't diluted. The gels are usually recommended for really resilient skin (usually teens with acne). I don't think it's necessary to go that route.

See how you do with the samples. If you would like, there's no harm in starting with the .025% and getting the second prescription upped to .05% Again, I don't know what else you're using so I would be careful. Just don't rush it. I did & the flaking & peeling wasn't worth it.

Thanks Marina, you've been a tremendous help. I really appreciate all your input Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:26 am      Reply with quote
I think .01% i actually the strongest. Id go with .05% myself.

Oops sorry im thinking f retin a.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I used Stieva A .05% or .025% (I can't remember as it was a few years ago although I do remember starting out with the weakest strength and eventually moving up). I have very oily skin and acne and I found that the Stieva A worked great. I actually got a few compliments on my skin!. HTH.
dksnf68
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
doodles wrote:
Hi,
I used Stieva A .05% or .025% (I can't remember as it was a few years ago although I do remember starting out with the weakest strength and eventually moving up). I have very oily skin and acne and I found that the Stieva A worked great. I actually got a few compliments on my skin!. HTH.

Hi Doodles Smile Which did you use, gel or cream? Why have you stopped using it? Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi dksnf68,
I was using the gel - it does have alcohol in it but for my skin that wasn't a problem. My skin was and still is super oily. I quit using the Stieva A because my skin started to show signs of aging so I thought I would try something stronger. I now use Tazorac gel .1%. Stieva A seemed better at controlling my acne but the Tazorac is better for aging. Tazorac is supposed to be the strongest of the retinoids. Neither the Stieva gel or the Taz gel will clog your pores. If you start off with the weakest Stieva gel you probably won't have a problem. If you get a prescription for the Taz be aware that it takes some getting used to. I had to do short contact therapy for a month or so before I could leave it on all night. HTH.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |