Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How do you layer moisturizers, etc?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I've always considered myself pretty good at applying makeup and ending up not looking "made-up". These days, though, (late 50's)I still have pretty good skin texture, pores a bit larger than I'd like; I don't even know if skin texture is part of the problem, but when I put on a sunscreen moisturizer, possibly a primer, and sometimes a lift serum,(trying to leave a few minutes between for them to settle in) then begin adding foundation, either liquid or powder, it begins to look like Spackle! And in places it will start to roll up. That's real attractive Embarassed

I'm not wearing more makeup than I used to. Is it that my skin has changed and isn't as absorbent, or is there a secret as to what moisturizers and foundations blend together better? Y'all are giving me sooo many good tips on what to buy, but before I go any further, I'd like to discover where I'm going wrong.
Any ideas??
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if this helps, but perhaps you could leave the sunscreen til last and just pat it on. It is not supposed to be rubbed in - according to the Aust. skin cancer council sunscreen should just be put on without rubbbing - maybe you will avoid that "tackiness" this way. I always wear a sunscreen in the morning that is tinted and moisturizing and I put this over my daily moisturizer, eyecream etc... I am 40 yo. even if i have foundation that ahs SPF this goes on under the sunscreen. Give it a go, it might help. otherwise, sorry couldn't help.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
My experience is: The longer you wait between layers the higher chance they ball up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
I think it probably depends on the specific formulation of the products you're using. I find that in particular, primers and certain sunscreens are the worst for this -- I've used an SS that balled up even when it was the only thing I applied on my face. If you wanted to get super-technical and post ingredients here, we might be able to dig this apart some more... just a thought!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not fond of layering product because of the "balling" thing. And besides how would you know if a product is working (or which one it is for that matter?) Its a waste of product.

I would just wear the sunscreen with foundation over and skip the primer and serum altogether.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, I appreciate your responses! I'm in awe of the wisdom on this site. I'm like, what took me so long?
Mostly what I'm wearing is still the stuff I had before I found you.
The SS is Olay Regenerist, and yes, I'm looking for a good physical SS, now that I know what that is Smile
The lift is Loreal RevitaLift, and the primer I'm trying out is one I read about on these boards which is actually Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel. My foundation and loose powder are Estee Lauder Lucidity, and when I put these on, things really get gunky!
Are mineral makeups mostly for young skin, or do they work well on..uh...mature skin? I ordered a Try Me kit from Lumiere, but the pots are so tiny, I can't really do much with them.
Anyway, I've always just picked and chosen what I like from a lot of brands. Do you think they might blend better if we use everything within a line of makeup, moisturizers, etc?
I know, too many questions, but I've been reading here for weeks, and I've got some catching up to do.......
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
This is just a guess, but I'm pretty sure the Monistat is your culprit for balling. I say this because a) gels seem to do this more than other products, at least in my experience, and b) anything that has a liquid-to-powder thing going on is usually funkier in texture and doesn't play well with other formulations.

This is mostly because the ingredients they have to use to achieve that liquid-to-powder consistency are sort of spackle-like in and of themselves, so it makes sense that layering them is only going to aggravate the weird balling syndrome. Also, similar formulations I've tried (I'm thinking of a very old Cover Girl cream-to-powder compact foundation, and a couple of crappier primers I've used) seem to contain lots of silicones, which is what gives them that dry slip feel - but those don't work well with water or oil in other products (they need to be specially blended/emulsified with oils to avoid balling).

Sorry, to the point -- try your routine without the Monistat you're using as a primer, and see if it works any better. If that doesn't work, you could always try your routine but eliminate a different product each time, until you find the one that's the worst culprit.

Lastly, you may want to try mixing a couple products together before applying, instead of layering them. This doesn't work great for all products, but for example, I sometimes mix sunscreen and moisturizer (though I know I may not get the best-ever PPD this way) and I also sometimes mix moisturizers and serums if I don't think there will be a conflict with the active ingredients.

Hope this helps! Obviously there's a TON of info about what mixes well and whatnot on these forums, and I certainly don't claim to know much of that - but at least you have a resource if you're determined to figure something out! Very Happy Good luck!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, ginnie. I have been experimenting, leaving off one or the other, and I'm to the point that lately I've ended up wearing sunscreen, lipstick, eye makeup and just a dusting of loose powder over all.

Something that may factor into all this is I'm using Renova at night, have for over a year, and I think it changes the skin properties.

A member sent me a PM link that I would share, but I think I need more posts under my belt in order to post a link here. Anyway, it looks like good info on this topic and is at Melbourne Dermatology.

Since I discovered these boards, I've ordered a DermaWand and LightStim, (should be here any day) so as soon as my pocketbook can stand it, I think I need to invest in a single line of higher end makeup/moisturizers. The line suggested at Melbourne Dermatology is Jan Marini. That's a new one to me, but then most of the ones I see here are new to me. I've also been trying some of CareKate's (forgive me if that name isn't right; I've always had the memory of a fruit fly) DIY recipes. I adore essential oils, and now I have a real use for them.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:54 am      Reply with quote
The SS is Olay Regenerist, and yes, I'm looking for a good physical SS, now that I know what that is Smile The lift is Loreal RevitaLift, and the primer I'm trying out is one I read about on these boards which is actually Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel.

I've used the Monistat as a primer and didn't experience any balling up. However, I did have this problem with Olay Regenerist moisturiser - used to drive me crazy. Leave that one out of your routine and see how you go.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Ah-ha! That's the one I haven't tried leaving off. I used to have brown spots on my lower face, so I've been religious about this ss. Thanks, Keliu. If you don't mind my asking, which ss are you currently using?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
I use Sofina Nuance which isn't available in Australia so I have to buy it on the web but it lasts for ages. This SS leaves your skin looking so smooth so it does away with the need for a primer (that's why I stopped using the Monistat). Plus its non-greasy and gives a lovely canvas for makeup. Living in Queensland, I spend allot of time in the sun - swimming, boating etc. so I have tried out many of the facial sunscreens - but this is the best, hands down. For a moisturiser, I use rosehip oil or emu oil - The Sofina also counteracts the oiliness of the oils.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Idea Thanks, Keliu. I'll try it. I Googled it and it got good reviews at MU, too.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, so glad you found the culprit! I've never used Oil of Olay stuff so I would've suggested that last since it seemed inherently like a primer issue and not a moisturizer one. Tricky stuff!

catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Yes, it is tricky stuff, and I've steadfastly used the Olay Regenerist line for about a year. We're all searching for that HG, and I was thumbing through a magazine in the waiting room of my gynecologist and read an article that said Regenerist is one of the moisturizer lines that actually does regenerate new skin cells. I've been faithful, but I think it's time for me to move on from Regenerist. It's okay, but I haven't experienced any results to write home about.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Honestly, while beauty mags can and often do provide a terrific service, I tend not to rely on their product information as the very best in the industry. Even Natural Health Magazine would constantly plug sup-par products that weren't anywhere close to "natural", because that's where their advertising funding comes from to a certain extent.

If you're really into cell regeneration stuff, other EDS members can probably tip you off better than I can - but I think a good starting point would be to check out the Cellcosmet and AlphaDerma links on the EDS main page. Many EDS folks swear by the AlphaDerma stuff, and I have a sample pack waiting for me to test out when I get home. I got it as a freebie, but since you're new you may have to purchase it - I think they do sell it here, though.

Hope this helps!

catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, ginnie. I will check those out. I've seen them here on the boards, but at this point, I'm a little overwhelmed by it all. Maybe in a few weeks or months it will become familiar.

And yes, it's all about money and who's paying for the propaganda; can't recall why but for some reason I chose to believe what I read that day. Maybe they said, "Pinkie promise!" Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |