Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What's the MOST POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT for skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Ok everyone, let's put our heads together and come up with the most powerful antioxidant product for our skincare regimen. There should be some science, or at least some expert consensus/thought, to back it up.

The ones I can think of are: vit c, idebenone. I've also heard of Isomers (from Steffers), vit E, ferulic acid, green tea, red tea.

If we only wanted to put 2 antioxidant serums into our routine, what should they be? Any outstanding products?

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:32 am      Reply with quote
Astaxanthin!!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:38 am      Reply with quote
I think it depends on not only the ingredient, but also how many percentage there.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Theres LOTS of good antioxidants and I don't think a person should only use the "flavour of the day or month". The important thing to do is TO USE an item that has A LOT of antioxidants in it vesus using only 1 antioxidant product.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Right SusieQ, that's what I was hoping to find out. Are there 2 or 3 products that contain a number of powerful antioxidants at the right levels?

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
30&desperate

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, what is the best combo antioxidant serum that doesn't have any parabens or other synthetic fillers? Are there any, or do I need to go the DIY route? I'm afraid with the DIY route I won't want to stop or limit or be able to choose which ones I add. What about synergy?
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:

The ones I can think of are: vit c, idebenone. I've also heard of Isomers (from Steffers), vit E, ferulic acid, green tea, red tea.

Thanks for the mention, tsjmom
Very Happy

I am antioxidant obsessed, and have just googled "Astaxanthin" to find out more about it.
Will report my findings!

steffers

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:06 am      Reply with quote
steffers - so good to hear from you! I remember your wedding pic and how beautiful you are, so when you talk skincare, I listen Laughing Keep me posted on your findings.

THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR:

In the Nov Allure mag on pg 56:

"The Numbers Game - We know that an SPF rating measures a product's ability to protect against UVB rays, but a new acronym has us stumped - EPF. Short for Environmental Protection Factor, it measures the potency of an antioxidant against sun and pollution. The number is based on a study led by top derms and chemists that ranked topical antioxidants for their ability to resist UV rays, neutralize free radicals, and protect the skin's lipid barrier.

Idebenone came out on top with an EPF score of 95 (out of 100), followed by vit E (80), kinetin (6Cool, CoQ10 (55), vit c (52), and ALA (41). (Coffeeberry and green tea, two potent antioxidants, were not included in the study.) EPF ratings are already starting to appear on product labels - most notably Priori Bioengineered Skincare, a line created by one of the chemists who worked on the study, which capitalizes on that info by combining SPF 40 and EPF 95 in one moisturizer."

Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
anyone ever tried the PSF berry antioxidant serum?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:24 am      Reply with quote
lefemme wrote:
I thought Ibedenone was a form of CoQ10, no?

Not exactly - Ibedenone is a synthetic molecule that is similar to CoQ10, but not exactly the same. I hear the side chain on the Ibedenone molecule is shorter than that on CoQ10. They both should work as anti-oxidants though. However because Ibedenone is a synthetic molecule there are some people who are sensitive/develop allergies to it, whereas CoQ10 being a molecule we normally have in cells has less allergic/sensitivity issues.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
This is actually from a different home based company, not the one you mentioned. Just FYI.

lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:56 am      Reply with quote
WOW! Thanks for this information, Mom! Never knew that. Is that information somewhere on the bottle itself? Thanks!
MarkeyGoW
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Oh! I saw it mentioned above and figured it was safe. Thanks, I will be more careful in the future.

Markey
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
You can't just single out any one good antioxidant cuz there're all pretty good don't you think? The more the better in your products are best.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Some are more potent than others, and they need to be at a certain percentage for them to be effective. I already have 6 steps to my routine morning and nite, so I just want to add in the big guns! I don't want to have 20 different things on my face - it might blow up Laughing

tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
So basd on the EFA results, I've found a product I'm lemming - the Super AOX moisturizer w/ 1.5% idebenone and 1% CoQ10 from Cellbone Tech that I've been reading about in the over 55 thread.

Does anyone know of a product that has Tocopherol and/or Kinetin in it, as those were the 2nd and 3rd highest antioxidants, respectively, according to the EFA scale?

skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Excellent topic tjsmom! I tend to get confused with all these new ingredients and it's nice to have a basic, tried and true list of antioxidants.

Kris

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I know what you mean Kris. I've come to the conclusion that there are tons of really good products out there, but we simply cannot use them all (they all might combust on our face Laughing ) So I'm just trying to get the most important issues covered.

My routine (still in development Wink ):

AM - cleanse, bha/aha, vit C, Remergent DNA Repair, emu oil, s/s.

PM - cleanse, bha/aha, Green Cream, CPs, emu oil.

So I've got vit C, CPs (not sure about keeping them b/c I've seen NO difference in 4 mos of use), a retinoid, s/s. I just would like to add in more antioxidants. I'll up the retinoid as my skin adjusts.

VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Although innumerable antioxidants play a vital role in skin health, I think that vitamin C is probably the most important one.
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Just like breathe comes in and breath comes out
and that consists pretty much what you are on physical level ,so oxidizers and antioxidants exist.The skin NEEDS this constant tension otherwise it wouldnt be a skin.
Just like you wouldnt exist on the physical plane if inhalation only existed.You need the exhalation.

Without this polarity your skin wouldnt exist.
So your cure is to be aware of this constant change and need of the different and contrary forces(breath in-breath out/oxidizers-antioxidants). And then you break free and leave this forum Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
Astaxanthin!!!!

Astaxanthin is a great antioxidant but if you're going to use it topically, you should know it's VERY orange. I ruined an entire jar of face cream by adding astaxanthin to it and turning it neon orange. Shock Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
So basd on the EFA results, I've found a product I'm lemming - the Super AOX moisturizer w/ 1.5% idebenone and 1% CoQ10 from Cellbone Tech that I've been reading about in the over 55 thread.

Does anyone know of a product that has Tocopherol and/or Kinetin in it, as those were the 2nd and 3rd highest antioxidants, respectively, according to the EFA scale?

Idebenone is an excellent anti aging antioxidant. I've used it myself in the past.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I personally use a 20% Vitamin C serum with Ferulic added from a company who makes it fresh when it's ordered. There is another company who sells a Vitamin C serum with Ferulic and Vitamin E but theirs is patented and costs $153 a bottle, which is a one-month supply. I simply don't wish to pay that price for a little bit of added Vitamin E when I can simply add some myself.

It's funny; I saw a warning on some site or another about adding the Vitamin E yourself and how this might violate Skinceutical's patent and yada, yada, yada. I'm not going to NOT add some Vitamin E to my own serum for my own personal use simply because some company has a patent. LOL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Are we still talking about this thread?? WOW. I still feel the same way about antioxidants. Look for as many as you can in your product and use that product line. There really is no one antioxidant that can do it all. Cheers!
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Bummer. Idebenone and/or coQ10 applied topically for me give me horrible skin reactions -- extreme swelling and my skin acts like it got burned. I've tried it twice now, years apart and got the same reaction.

What would be the next best topical AOX that I could try?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |