Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
How to keep skin from getting fried during radiation therapy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have a friend of a friend who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer at a very young age (27, I think). She's getting married in December, and she's going to have to be in radiation therapy nearly every day up until her wedding. She's worried that it's going to make her look totally fried, and our mutual friend asked me to look into some tips for how to keep her skin from getting too damaged so she doesn't look terrible in all her wedding photos, etc. (And of course, she'd like to fend off long-term damage too!)

Normally I'm a physical-only sunblock gal, but this is a special case. I'm thinking of getting her into some Anthelios stuff, as well as some other high mineral protection sunwear to layer, but I also wanted to ask about some of the stronger, prescription-strength sunscreens that contain silver - i.e. they look totally opaque and white when you wear them, and they're obviously no good for daily wear, but she could maybe wear them during treatment.

I'm really not familiar with radiation therapy or how the exact process works, or whether ANYTHING I've written above will be able to help. But I figure some of you may have good input and tips for how she can protect her skin and look okay for her big day, as well as help fend off longer-term damage. All of your input would be most helpful, and I will pass on all your wisdom and tips. Thanks in advance! I'll also post more relevant details if I find out anything specific that will help refine this topic.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Ginnieliz,
I met an aesthetician at a retreat for cancer survivors, we were there as practioners, and she had become interested in skincare for those undergoing radiation and chemotherapy treatments. I know she did a lot of work with several agencies so I'll give her a call and ask what tips she has to offer.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, BluesHeart -- that's very generous of you! I'm happy to know that such experts do exist out there. Looking forward to your updates, and thanks again!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
elly22

Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
While I am much older than your friend, I did undergo radiation therapy for breast cancer 5 years ago. My skin is fair, and I had very little redness or irritation. The only thing I was allowed to use was Aquaphor (sp?). Everyone's skin is different, but hopefully she will not have a severe reaction. My heart goes out to her to be dealing with this at such a young age.
lorisu
5% products discount

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:44 am      Reply with quote
When my mum was undergoing radiotherapy for breast cancer the she found that Jurlique's calendula cream was the only thing that made a big difference in terms of keeping the skin moisturised and also calming some of the redness.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
ginnie, no advise on this topic but I'll send positive thoughts your way for your friend.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
When I was undergoing radiation several years ago, I was advised not to use anything at all on the skin during treatment, but that I could use products to soothe afterward as long as they were very gentle. I found that Lush's Skins Shangri-la moisturizer was my best friend--I must have gone through six or seven pots of it. I still use it sometimes, partly because it reminds me of a scary time that I nevertheless got through...
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:23 am      Reply with quote
Egyptian Magic Cream is good for this purpose.
k! (orangewasabi)
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
OP: I hope your friend is doing okay now.

I just finished a 5 week course of radiation treatment on my hand for a fast-growing but thankfully benign tumour.

I assume you know by now, but your friend should not use anything at all that might have metals in it -- so no minerals, no silver based protectants.

Actually wearing any kind of skin protection during radiation is not advised at all.

Also, fyi, getting radiation is kinda like microwaving food, 30% of the 'cooking' is done after the food comes out of the microwave.

Likewise, it's entirely possible that your friend's skin will be getting worse the week after radiation, and won't start to turn around until 1-2 weeks after radiation stops. You might want to prepare her for that. Once radiation is done, the salt soaks really really help and I've been loading the area with heli, rosehip oil and emu oil.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |