Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

A cry for help!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone! This is my first posting to this sight but I've been reading reviews now for the last month or so are you ladies seem to know what you're talking about! So I guess I'll tell you my situation...I am 25 years old and starting to see the signs of premature aging... and I have normal/combination skin..fun fun! I'm passionate about skin care but have never found a product line that I loved and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions to combat those first signs of ageing, prevention is key! I've been looking at a few Bioelements, Osea,Kate Somerville and dermalogica products but would like some input from you guys! I want something effective! Help! Thanks so much!
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi jenw and welcome Smile

You will get lots of good advice from EDS members. The very first products you should use are:

1. Sunscreen
2. Vit. C Serum

Do you use a C serum and sunscreen daily? In my opinion they are the best defense for premature aging skin.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I do use a sunscreen but not a vitamin c serum. I am currently using a clinique cleanser and toner and their moisturizer with antioxidents but I'm really not loving it.
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi jenw,
You need to STOP your clinique - have you read the "worst products"topic? Almost everyone has had terrible experiences with Clinique.I too have a combination skin and tried many different products, always going back to clinique in the past as it didn't cause clogging, but it was also like putting paint stripper on my face - the clarifying lotions.(I am also quite abit older than you but have been trying many products since I was 16) You need to get used to the non-squeaky clean feeling, squeaky doesn't mean clean, it means stripped of oils, which ahs taken me a long time to discover. Emergin c has a good range of vitamin C products. I am currently trying decleor and loving it as well as some dermalogica. Good luck with your search.
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't realize that so many people had adverse reactions to clinique! You're right though, as it's coming into the cooler months, we skin is really stripped of every little bit of moisture it has. I can;t wait to see what suggestions I get, whether its about the lines I mentioned above or not, I have to change soon!
littleprakhem
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:59 am      Reply with quote
Hello Jenw,

Maybe our situations are close. I am 26 and looking for the products that prevent signs of aging though i have dry skin. Confused

In search of my skincare, I started off by reading posts in EDS and other websites. What i have learned so far is that using sunscreen is really important. Also, As Winnie mentioned, you should consider Vit C serum. But i'm afraid that i can't suggest the particular brand as each individual has different reactions to different Vit C serum. To help you make decision, there are quite a lot of threads in EDS discussing experience of using different Vit C serums. Here are some:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=26196
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=26138

For me, i decided to start with 12% concentrate and chose Cellularskin RX as my first choice for my dry skin type. So far, I'm quite pleased with it. HTH some.

Best wishes,

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:12 am      Reply with quote
I would agree with the advice of #1: Sunscreen, but no 2 on my list would be a Retin A product. I use Tazorac. My #3 product would be a vit C serum. (SkinMedica's, Skinceuticals, Vivier all seem to be popular.) I am doing a "homemade" version. I think if you do all 3 of those and maybe eventually incorporate a Copper Peptide, you will be in good shape.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
joseibi
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:32 am      Reply with quote
peppy wrote:
Hi jenw,
You need to STOP your clinique - have you read the "worst products"topic? Almost everyone has had terrible experiences with Clinique.I too have a combination skin and tried many different products, always going back to clinique in the past as it didn't cause clogging, but it was also like putting paint stripper on my face - the clarifying lotions.

Great advice, peppy!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a similar experience like you had too, with Clinique. I still vividly recall that awful burning sensation of the Clarifying Lotion and to this day, I am surprised Clinique is still around! I am just glad that my student days are over and I can afford better products now!

(I wouldn't even use the Clinique soap to wash dishes, let alone my skin)

jenw, welcome to this forum! Very Happy
Chloelee
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Sunscreen and moisturizer are two unavoidable steps. I have known this for years but still don't apply sunscreen for my daily use. Can anyone recommend something for daily use?

When I went to vacation, I just use Neutragena 30 for sunny days.

Strongly recommend a moiturizer, Decleor's Hydra Flora. I am using its new Anti-pollution Hydra Flora, somehow it feels a bit different. I mean I still like the previous one. It is just like its name, smells good (a bit strong for me now since I am using all smell-free products). But good enough for winter in Toronto.

Good luck
joseibi
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Chloelee wrote:
Strongly recommend a moiturizer, Decleor's Hydra Flora. I am using its new Anti-pollution Hydra Flora, somehow it feels a bit different. I mean I still like the previous one. It is just like its name, smells good (a bit strong for me now since I am using all smell-free products). But good enough for winter in Toronto.

Good luck

Hi Chloelee! This Decleor moisturizer - what is the texture like and what type of skin do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I wouldn't mind trying it. I live in Toronto and with my dry skin I need something to last me through the cold, bitter winter here! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
I am 100% with the sunscreen and if you smoke stop, I think Sun damage and smoking are the 2 most aging things you can do to your skin.
Also a healthy diet and stress free lifestyle anti-age your skin too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks so much for your advice, I'm definitly going to be on the right path now! The clinique is out the door!
I really do want to use a sunscreen everyday but I find that it makes my makeup break apart and look REALLY bad! Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions of one that doesn't do this? I'm using a liquid foundation that has an SPF of 15, is this just as good?
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I use either the dermalogica ultrasensitive faceblock SPF 25 that is tinted for light coverage or else the True Solutions All Day Moisture SPF 30+ tinted sunscreen for a heavier coverage (ie. instead of a foundation) and don't seem to have a problem with makeup over them. Any extra SPF is a big bonus. Even on a cloudy day in winter the UV rating can be extremely high, do you have daily UV rating reports with your weather reporting? It is quite frightening to see how high the UV index can get and how important it is use a suncscreen daily. I agree with rosebud - if you smoke, stop asap.
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Thankfully I do not smoke. I have never even had one puff all my life! That is how I justify spending extra money on skin care and makeup!! Those are my only nasty habits! My mother did smoke for about 20 years and you can definitly see the damage that it has done to her skin. She quit about 5 years ago and I got her started on a good skin care regime but alot of the damage will always be there but her skin sure does look better since she quit!
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
In terms of trying products, if there is a particular brand you are keen on trying eg.dermalogica, you could always find a salon/spa that uses the products, have a facial and skin analysis and see what the beautician recommends. They usually give you some samples to try. Then, you get onto EDS and order the ones you like - the salons/spas are so much more expensive. I am lucky I have a sister who is also a skincare junkie and we pass things on to each other to try. I also love facials though.
yuangao2
5% products discount

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:47 am      Reply with quote
You may try the deep tissue repair.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums!

I'm 23 and sort of like you, I wanted to find something to combat pre-mature aging as well. Something that I can use daily. I just bought a full jar of Kate Somerville's Daily Nourish Moisturizer. I tried a sample of this and it's great! Contains matrixyl and retinyl palmitate, and they recommend this for people who are just starting off.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/kate-somerville-nourish-d-p_7336.htm

I don't really think you have to be afraid of using Clinique, the moisturizer obviously didn't give you any adverse side effects but as for the cleanser and toner, I'd definitely switch those for something a little less harsh.

If you do consider starting to use a generic retin-a product (I think it's great but a bit harsh since it does get the job done), please please please start slowly. I made the jump to a retin-a 1% while on Obagi and was complete shocked during the process. The KS Nourish moisturizer I mentioned also contains a form of retin-a (retinyl palmitate) and is a great prep for beginners

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Well I just bought a sample of the Kate Somerville Nourish moisturizer off ebay and I can't wait to try it. I think I will also book a few facials at different spas to get a chance to try the product. I just moved to a new city but it seems that the spas are here a little limited in their product, they all seem to carry the same ones! But I think this will be the best way to go!
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:41 am      Reply with quote
Good luck. Let us know how you go. I am thinking very seriously of trying the Kate in a jar. Would be very interested to hear how the Nourish moisturiser goes.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |