Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
I'm concerned, Is my skin suppose to feel like this...?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dksnf68
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I've recently started Stieva A (same as Retin A ) .025% gel. I have only used it a couple times so far, about 2 or 3 times a week. I'm wondering if it is normal for the skin to feel tight and dry after applying? I'm worried it will give me lines because of this, and I'm using it specifically for antiaging Confused I have the cream, but it's to rich for my breakout prone skin. Can someone reassure me, or let me know if this isn't normal. Thanks so much.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Id say a gel would be drying. i use retin a cream and even find that a bit drying.

Have you tried moisturising afterwards? I do, and it still seems effective as i still peel.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Id say a gel would be drying. i use retin a cream and even find that a bit drying.

Have you tried moisturising afterwards? I do, and it still seems effective as i still peel.

Hi, Yeah I do use Emu oil afterward. It still feels kinda tight. I didn't know if it was normal, or if I should stop using it. What do you use to get the peeling skin off? I applied makeup today and it looked terrible because my skin was flaky Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
AAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!
There should be a Retin-A Support Group!
I went thru the same thing with Retin-A.
I never could stand the tight, dry, leathery feeling. Not to mention the windburned look.
You could try using every other nite until you get accustomed to it. If you go too fast you will peel like a lizard! Then you should back off and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize til the peeling subsides. If it irritates that badly you will just get frustrated and quit. Go very slowly.
Be sure not to use a drying cleanser/toner too. Try something very mild.
Be sure to use sunscreen with it.
Some ppl just don't tolerate it tho.(like moi)
Thankfully there are plenty of anti-age potions out there! Try try try til you find one you like!
I just gave up on the retinoids and went for microdermabrasion and glycolic peels at the office. That way it's done under supervision and you don't end up like a scalded dog! MD Forte works better for me than Retin-A and doesn't irritate as much.
HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:11 am      Reply with quote
dksnf68 wrote:
carolb69 wrote:

Hi, Yeah I do use Emu oil afterward. It still feels kinda tight. I didn't know if it was normal, or if I should stop using it. What do you use to get the peeling skin off? I applied makeup today and it looked terrible because my skin was flaky Embarassed

I use NCN's microdermabrasion cloth and it gets rid of the loose skin well. i only use retin a twice a week now as im sick of peeling.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

I use NCN's microdermabrasion cloth and it gets rid of the loose skin well. i only use retin a twice a week now as im sick of peeling

Thanks! I'm going to get myself a microdermabrasion cloth!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:27 am      Reply with quote
I use tazorac (same thing essentially). I have been using it for YEARS (and I love it) but if I put in on clean bare skin and leave it on overnight I look like a burned red molting monster. I have been 'buffering' for years, meaning that I apply it either BEFORE washing my face for the evening for a couple of hours -- i.e. I put it on after dinner and then wash it off when I normally wash my face before bed, OR I apply it over a moisturizer, which acts as a bit of a barrier. I highly recommend trying this out -- it has not made the product less effective for me, it has just reduced the irritation. you do NOT have to be a red peely mess to get results.
good luck -- retinoids are awesome and worth the hassle!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
A few years ago, I remember buying into the hype of Retinol products, even though I was only in my late twenties and have no lines whatsoever, I gave in and tried a few high concentration Retinol products. My skin was so sensitive to it and it burned, stung and got really raw and red, I swore off Retinol ever since.

So if you ask me, I am very biased against any retinol products...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I apply a face cream first that i really like but cant mention,sorry or my post will get deleted. Then i wait half an hour and apply retin a, then moisturise over the top. Doing that has stopped me going red and it still seems effective as my pores are staying clear and i do peel somedays even with all the buffering. This is strong stuff!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:40 am      Reply with quote
I think the redness, feeling dry and peeling, is par for the course when you first start using Retin A. I would push myself through it. Rolling Eyes Gradually increase the frequency of your use, over the first year. The benefits will be worth it in the long run. I'm old school and don't believe in diluting it or washing it off or anything, BUT using it straight all night long! Very Happy

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe it's just the preparation? I was pretty scared to hop on the Retin-A band wagon because my skin is sen-sit-ive. My derm gave me some samples and Retin-A Micro 0.04% and it took me a year to try it. Rolling Eyes (Not exactly a risk-taker.)

Decided to give it a try recently and started out with a once-a-week application. That was successful, so slowly moved up to every night. I really love the stuff. Never a bit of redness (and believe me, my face turns red without any provocation whatsoever) and it has really made the skin around my eyes and forehead look smooth and fresh. This is with only a month or so of use. (I know it's supposed to take 6 mos to see improvement, but I noticed it right away.) Have never had visible peeling even once. Just nice plump, fresh-looking skin.

Should mention that I do add a moisturizer (Shea butter based) as per usual before I go to bed.

When I stop seeing improvement, I'll just move up the the next strength.

Good luck!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |