Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Boo -- BF got laid off first day back from vacation!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
My boyfriend and I just got back from a trip to Sonoma, CA for a friend's wedding, and we were in England for a couple weeks just a little while before then. We had a great trip both times, but our travels were of course more expensive than we had hoped, so we were a bit freaked out to see our travel credit card bill upon returning. We knew we'd pay it off, though, it was just daunting before the holidays.

And then Tuesday, when he got back into work (after we were stranded in San Jose for the night thanks to a canceled flight and both missed work on Monday), he got laid off. A lovely welcome home! Honestly, he'll be better off elsewhere anyway, as his company was really not treating him (or most of their employees) well, and he was already thinking of looking for something else.

But it was still a bit of a shock, and I think we both feel a bit freaked out that I'm the sole breadwinner right now! We'll be fine and we'll get through it and he'll find something fabulous in no time at all, as his industry is very well-connected and he's very talented and hireable. But I just wanted to put a note here that your positive thoughts in our direction would be most appreciated. It never hurts to have those good vibes on your side, and this has always been such a sweet and supportive and caring community.

Man, I'm so glad we have the lounge to blab about non-skincare-related stuff, it just makes a gal feel better! Very Happy

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about this, but it's great you had a good time beforehand. It's good to get away for some stress relief! Sounds like he's well prepared - or as well prepared as one can be for this sitch.

BTW, when I first read the thread title, I thought it said "BF got laid."

Phew, this is much better by comparison...
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Lots of good vibes from me.
Where abouts in England did you visit?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hahahahahahaha. "BF got laid" -- I mean, I know this is the Lounge and all, but... Very Happy Glad you kept reading! You're right that it was good for us to have some fun first, and to be honest, any new job he gets will be a massive pay increase, since his old company was famous within the industry for underpaying its employees, so we'll manage the travel expenses eventually.

And we did have a great time -- first we were at my family's farm in Gloucestershire, near Newent, and then we went up to Edinburgh for a few days, and then down to London for a few days. Too much moving around from place to place, we decided, but we did really enjoy ourselves everywhere we went. And he was a hit with my family, so that was nice too. Smile How close was I to EDS-ers, I wonder?

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
ouch! I just sent you a PM with an invite to join a networking site. He may be able to land a job more quickly by joining...

Good thing you just got a new job with more $$ eh? Very Happy

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Good thing indeed -- we'd be REALLY screwed if I didn't have my current gig, so this is definitely not the worst timing in the world. It's still just a total shock given that he was a) recently hired on by a different team for a whole new project, and EVERYONE was excited to have him on it, and b) people who have under-performed haven't been laid off, but he was. It just sort of came out of left field. But it's sure not the tragedy it could've been.

Thanks for your PM, by the way, just pinged you back!

majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I hope he finds a better new job soon. What a horrible surprise to come back home to.

Glad you enjoyed England and Scotland, though.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Blah -- so know how I maintained that great, chipper, optimistic vibe early on? Well, it's starting to fade, ever so slightly. Just seems like the timing for this was HORRIBLE -- the company my BF had a sort of standing opening with just filled their last slots about a week before he got laid off, and every other place he's interviewed at or even just contacted has been a closed door.

He's doing everything right -- got great references and recommendations, networks like crazy, is checking in with everyone he knows in the industry and calling in every favor imaginable, it's just kind of crappy how nothing is coming together how we figured it would.

And I just hate seeing his spark faded a little -- he has a really good attitude and is generally a pretty hard-to-ruffle guy, but I can tell it's getting to him. He misses doing the awesome creative work that was the good part of his old job, and he misses actually doing ANYTHING -- I know he feels trapped being at home and just sort of cold-calling and emailing. Sigh.

Anyway, I just had to whine, because it breaks my heart to see him downtrodden about it. You'd never know it from interacting with him, but, well, I know it, and I just hope something comes together soon. It's looking like he may have to accept any job he can get, whether it's the kind of work he was after or not, and that's really a shame, too. Of course he can keep looking even after he gets something, but that's not the ideal outcome.

Ah well, just wanted to mope on here a little and thank you guys for your supportive messages and vibes -- it's nice to know a bunch of people out there are crossing their fingers for someone they've never even met! Restores my faith in the Internet even if it does have some nasty sides to it. Bad Grin

iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Your understanding and support is what he needs the most and I can see that you are doing a great job of this. Wish for your good news soon!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Okay, this is seriously the most ridiculous thing in the world, but get this:

I just got laid off today.

Good times!

Grant and I are going to apply for some sort of local irony fellowship.

I've been so darn excellent at this whole positive attitude thing, let's hope it sticks! But yeah, needless to say, words of support and encouragement will not be discouraged right now. Smile

fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Wow ginnielizz Crying or Very sad I feel so bad for you guys!

Someone once told me that all the problems that we are dealt are really nothing more than 'traffic' to contend with on our way to where we need to be. Sometimes the traffic is light. sometimes heavy and occasionally we hit a complete traffic jam! But like all other traffic predicaments it will eventually clear-up and be smooth sailing once again. (corny yes I know but it does help to keep things in perspective Wink )

Take Care & I really hope things turn around quickly for you both

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
OMG, ginnielizz, I am so sorry you are both dealing with this!! At least you guys can both relate to each other. Keep at it, perhaps you'll both find your dream jobs and this experience was just a necessary step.

lol @ the irony fellowship...
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, you guys! You're right, too, iamei -- we support each OTHER now, but we do so marvellously, so this really could be a lot worse.

The first thing my mom said when I told her was that anecdote about how the Chinese character for "crisis" is the same one as for "opportunity", haha. Cheesy but true, indeed! Actually I don't know if the proverb is true. Laughing But the sentiment I get.

Truth is, we've BOTH been working jobs where we were either undervalued or underpaid or both, so we'll definitely both be better off. Eventually. It's just this initial bit that feels like crap. I firmly believe in the bigger picture that this will give us a nudge in a much better direction -- we just have to hang in there!

And hey, now maybe we'll have time to do all the home improvement projects we keep putting off. Laughing

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
OMG! Didn't you just start your new job? What happened? Geez, talk about a company not having the welcome mat out for ya! I'm so sorry to hear this and hope things get better for you both soon. Keep your head up!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hah, yeah, this is a very recent new job for me, and it definitely had its ups and downs but I was committed to trying to make it work, and I don't feel like I was given a fair chance at all. They have a 60-day initial "trial" period, and today would have been exactly the fiftieth day. They cut me today so they wouldn't have to pay me severance pay, since after the initial period the contract states that they'll give two months' severance pay if they ask you to leave.

So that gives you a little sense of what my employer was like, in the first place. Smile Keep in mind, he knew Grant had just been laid off two weeks ago today, so that's nice, too. I'm DEFINITELY going to be better off in healthier and more supportive work environment, that's for sure!

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Ah ginnie, that absolutely sucks! Crying or Very sad I'm sending positive thoughts your way,

Big hugs

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that Ginnie. I can't believe your company would do that, but like you said, it is probably a good thing that you are getting away from a company that would treat an employee that way. I am sure with your writing skills that you will have no problem finding another job quickly. Gook luck to you and your BF.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |