Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Power combo for hyperpigmentation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ahutukel
5% products discount

Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
I am Ahu and have been following this forum about hyperpigmentation for the last couple of weeks when I first started using Meladerm and I am hoping you could share your experience with me.

I have a very big square brown patch right in the middle of my forehead (which covers the 1/3 of my whole forehead)and couple of other smaller patches on my nose, under my eyes and on the side of my cheeks + acne scars on my cheeks. I started using Meladerm 6 weeks ago together with Body Shop Vit C, I saw some very slight difference in some of the spots but very minimal change on my forehead. So out of desperation I have ordered Lactic Acid %40 from Makeup Artist's Choice but have not started yet (I wasn't brave enough to order TCA) and I am also considering CPserum from platinium skincare but not really sure. I have sensitive skin with a light color.

SO...my question is for the ones who had discovered a good combination of different products and managed to win the battle for hyperpigmentation. What is your power combo of products?
What is your experience with Meladerm, Glyco, Lactic or TCA peels and CP Serum? What other products would you recommend\/

Please I am really desperate to hear from you.
Many thanks
Ahu
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ahu! Welcome to the forums!

You might want to do a search for "Obagi" on EDS. You'll find a lot posters like me who were worried about hyperpigmentation issues. I found that of all the reviews I've read, Obagi is still the one product that got rid of hyperpigmentation even among all the issues around the line.

EDS is doing a special right now on Obagi, and you're going to be busy reading everything about it!

Before you start your peels though, you might want to do more research and if you've never done any before, 40% might seem a little too high for a beginner.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using Obagi, I think it is the best on getting rid of age spots, however I also did laser treatments at the same time (once a month, for 10 months). I don't think you can remove those very dark spots without laser.
stovetop
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I am currently using Obagi (week 13) and highly recommend it for hyperpigmentation issues.
ahutukel
5% products discount

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for your replies, I have heard of Obagi but never tried before. I will search it though after your recommendations. Currently I am using Meladerm, it is working great on the spots with no irritation but very very slow. And I have not seen much difference on the dark patch on my forehead that's why I am considering the peels (little bit scared though)

I also heard of MSM pills to help hyperpigmentation? Do any of you guys use it?
Thanks
Ahu
stovetop
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:07 am      Reply with quote
I take MSM and use Obagi - so it is hard to know which product is getting rid of my hyperpigmentation. Check out Skin Biology's website for more info on MSM - Dr. Pickart highly recommends it. I have recently noticed bruising on my arms and according to the Health Food Store that I deal with MSM can cause bruising.
guntz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:27 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered Obagi from EDS once I used it I can let you know the result. Rolling Eyes
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Obagi!
Melona
5% products discount

Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
After reading all the threads on Obagi I also want to try it but am scared of the hydroquinone! I'm thinking of trialling out Fincea which is 15% azelaic acid. I'm wondering if anyone has had any success or experience trying out Fincea.
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:13 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I've heard and read about Fincea. Apparently 20% azelaic acid along with IPL treatments have been effective at removing/treating hyperpigmentation in (at least Asian) skin according to Dermatology Times archives.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:15 am      Reply with quote
ahutukel wrote:
Hi, thanks for your replies, I have heard of Obagi but never tried before. I will search it though after your recommendations. Currently I am using Meladerm, it is working great on the spots with no irritation but very very slow. And I have not seen much difference on the dark patch on my forehead that's why I am considering the peels (little bit scared though)
I also heard of MSM pills to help hyperpigmentation? Do any of you guys use it?
Thanks
Ahu

I have been following the Obagi thread and amazed at the results people are getting.IMO Obagi would be great for your concerns.

As far as Lactic Acid 40% you are quite safe. Lactic acid has no down time to speak of. Do a patch test before using any strong products. Follow the direction that came with the lactic acid.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
ahutukel
5% products discount

Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys,
Have you tried Lactic Acid Peel before? It is great to know that it is safe but is it also effective?
One more question? If I want to incorporate TCA and Lactic Acid peel how would I do that?
Thanks
Ahu
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
ive been intrigued by the obagi system ever since reading an article about it in MAQUIA but scared after seeing all the posts here about peeling and "the uglies"...
also im not sure if obagi in america is different than the products they have released in japan, which might be more suitable for my asian skin.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Meladerm *meh* just ordinary and the usual suspects:
The major Meladerm ingredients are:
· Kojic Acid
· Alpha Arbutin
· Mulberry Extract
· Bearberry Extract
· Licorice Extract
· Lemon Juice Extract

I use the following which helps me fade sun damage:

Sepiwhite (undecylenoyl phenylalanine) + amino ascorbyl phosphate + L-ascorbic acid + NanoWhite (the ingredient, not the brand name products).

NanoWhite contains in liposomal form:
• Natural arbutin from bearberry strongly inhibits tyrosinase, the key enzyme of the pigmentation process.
• Reduced glutathione and vitamin C palmitate reinforce NanoWhite’s safe and proven activity with their whitening and anti-oxidant properties.
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
I already using a couple products for melasma/age spots: lactic acid peels (love them! ♥) and Alpha Hydrox in between peels (just started with this). But I remember reading a few posts on here about a product called Devine Derriere ( http://www.divinederriere.com/beforeandafter.htm ) that some people said worked well.

I'm not about to purchase any more products at the moment, but I would love to hear from others here who've used this bleaching cream and what their thoughts were about it.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Murad Sheer Tint Sunscreen +
Eminence Organics Stone Crop Line +
NeoStrata HQ Lightening Gel (4% HQ).
Determined
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:14 am      Reply with quote
sandooch wrote:
I already using a couple products for melasma/age spots: lactic acid peels (love them! ♥) and Alpha Hydrox in between peels (just started with this). But I remember reading a few posts on here about a product called Devine Derriere ( http://www.divinederriere.com/beforeandafter.htm ) that some people said worked well.

I'm not about to purchase any more products at the moment, but I would love to hear from others here who've used this bleaching cream and what their thoughts were about it.

Hi Sandooch, I used an entire jar of Devine Derriere - no results. Fortunately it was not expensive. But as we all know, it didn't work for me - but it might work for you! I love lactic acid peels too. I do them monthly - 30 % gel.
Gremlynn
5% products discount

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:25 am      Reply with quote
I have been using a cream that has both Glucosamine & Niacinamide and I have been very happy with how much it has lightened my melasma and old acne scars. I tried to post some links to studies about these two ingredients, but was not allowed. If you are interested, you can do a search on these ingredients and effects on melasma/hyperpigmentation.

On another skin care site I frequent, a couple of us have been using this for a few months, and I think the results have been pretty positive. Some of the ladies have gone the DIY route to make this cream and it is fairly inexpensive.
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply determined. Boy, their before and after pictures were impressive, but I'd rather go by the word of people on this site, so I appreciate your honest feedback.

Gremlynn, your results sound great. Could you pm me with more information and give me the link to the other skin care site you frequent? Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
i would highly recommend Obagi or Skintx system for hyperpigmentation. Or go for IPL treatments at a dermatologist's office. I wouldn't waste time and money on other products that probably won't be effective.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl, I found out after having several IPL treatments for my melasma that it can actually make it worse over time. At least that was the case for me. Thank God I found peels. It's taken a while to fade them, but at least they are going away.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:01 am      Reply with quote
My power combination, in truth the only combination that ever worked for me, was rosehip oil and a microfibre cloth. That's it. Nothing else. Six months of twice daily use reduced my pigmentation 80%, it's so light now you have to go searching to find it. My skin tone is super-pale so my pigmentation was never extremely dark although it was several shades darker than my natural skin and noticable enough that I'd spend an hour applying makeup in the morning to cover it up.

I guess it depends on the individual. For me, this was the only thing that worked. Vit C serum actually made my pigmentation worse, as did lactic acid. I only took up the rosehip oil routine after these other items failed and worsened my skin.

I had two types of pigmentation. Post inflammatory which covered 1/2 my forehead and 1/3 of my cheeks and sun damage which showed up on my upper cheeks. The PIH is gone completely while the sun damage is the slowest to heal.

Pigmentation goes through healing cycles. In any 4 week period I would experience a week where it looked really improved, 2 weeks where it seemed to get worse (as the damage moved to the upper layers of my skin) before it sloughed off and looked better than where I started. This cycle at first freaked me out but as I became accustomed to it I realised that temp darkening was nothing to be concerned about as long as it improved a few weeks later.

It's also worth mentioning that giving up 100% all forms of instant coffee and switching over only to fresh, roasted, ground and brewed coffee seemed to help as well. I have a completely unfounded and unscientific theory that rancid coffee oils (stale coffee) contributes to pigmentation by adding to free radical damage in the body. Take that part with a grain of salt although it did allow me to justify the purchase of am espresso machine I'd long lusted over...Lol!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I would see my doctor for some Tri-Luma and use for 3 months and then switch to some OTC products.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Tretinoin and azelaic acid mixed together works almost as well as 4% hydroquinone. Took away most of my melasma in six months. I'm Asian and have hyperpigmentation on my cheeks and extremely dry skin. Best to use the highest strength 0.1% tretinoin because that was what they used in the studies.

Now I just started Obagi Nu Derm to take away the last of the pigmentation and also to rebalance my skin - hoping to lessen the use of moisturizers.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
Skinceuticals phyto+ is doing good things for me. But I'm fascinated by the idea of rosehip oil used intensively, and will definitely bear that in mind. Rosehip oil is powerful stuff!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |