Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

dry shampoo recipe?????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
I heard cornstarch makes a good dry shampoo...but does anyone have a great recipe or other ideas? Frequent washing is drying out my hair and I have noticed that not washing everyday helps with shine and speeds up the growing process as ends stay healthier longer.....
any ideas for a dry shampoo?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Talcum powder makes a great dry shampoo.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:53 am      Reply with quote
but I have heard such bad things about talc... Confused ...but there are several companies that make talc free powder so I could use that right?
will try and hunt some down and test it..... Very Happy

thanks
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:57 am      Reply with quote
pls forgive my ignorance... but what is a dry shampoo? how does it work??! Rolling Eyes
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:27 am      Reply with quote
a dry shampoo is a shampoo that isnt a liquid that doesnt require water to clean your hair or scalp...usually its made of some absorbant powder that sucks up the oils on your scalp then is brushed away.
the benefits are that you dont have to use stripping shampoos and water as often or when you are in a rush.....
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
I posted several recipes for DIY dry shampoos in the DIY recipes thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=197

Dry shampoos can be used in between hair washings, as a mid-day pick-me-up to revive flat hair or to absorb excess product when you’ve applied too much styling gunk!

Originally created as way to revive and refresh “day old” hair when there’s no time to shampoo, it has since been discovered that dry shampoos are a great way to introduce weightless, non-sticky volume to flat hair and is a gentle alterative to strong astringents for chemically-treated, fine or thinning hair!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
WOW This is very new for me, I've never heard about dry shampoo before. Embarassed

Thanks annachan and carekate.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
wow carekate that is a TON of recipes Shock ....I love the vit c serum...must get some crystals and try that ....so many great ones. ..but I cant find the dry shampoo......there are a 1000 pages of home made goodies....help!
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Thx anna and carrie!

anna, fyi, the dry shampoo recipes are on P.8 of the DIY discussion (near the bottom).
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
Thx anna and carrie!

anna, fyi, the dry shampoo recipes are on P.8 of the DIY discussion (near the bottom).

oh god page 8? ok will check then can I copy and paste it here? I didnt get that far....at first was just scanning then got caught up reading all the great recipes and ideas!
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I second this. I use talcum powder as a dry shampoo frequently. Also, baby powder is great, but I don't like the baby powder smell so I'll use the Burt's Bees Wax baby powder which doesn't really have a smell. Use any of the powders sparingly though because it can make your hair look very dry and gray if you use too much.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 am      Reply with quote
SnowWhite wrote:
Keliu wrote:

I second this. I use talcum powder as a dry shampoo frequently. Also, baby powder is great, but I don't like the baby powder smell so I'll use the Burt's Bees Wax baby powder which doesn't really have a smell. Use any of the powders sparingly though because it can make your hair look very dry and gray if you use too much.

I love the idea but not the ingredient
here is something I found about talc;

Talc is closely related to the potent carcinogen asbestos. Talc particles have been shown to cause tumors in the ovaries and lungs of cancer victims. For the last 30 years, scientists have closely scrutinized talc particles and found dangerous similarities to asbestos.

YIKES!!!!! Shock
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
I understand your concerns about the talc, that's why I use talc free mineral makeup. However, I don't know why the same reservations haven't flowed on to the talcum powder market - aren't mothers still sprinkling it on their babies bottoms - and have done so for years Confused

Maybe the Burts Bees product that Snow White recommended would be the shot, Burts Bees products are supposed to be good for you. Bumble and Bumble also have a dry shampoo but it's ridiculously expensive. I had a look at the DYI thread, but don't know about grinding up nuts and putting them in your hair. I wouldn't have thought that you could grind them up finely enough - and aren't nuts oily? Anyway, I haven't tried this myself, so don't know. Maybe you could check out the health food shops for an "organic talcum powder", although I don't think that a bit of talc sprinkled into the hair every now and then is going to kill you!
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I found a talc free powder from Crabtree & Evelyn

Lavender
Talc-Free Body Powder made with finely milled natural corn, rice and oat flours and infused with lavender oil.

sounds nice!?! thing is not sure where that is sold in japan.....
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
annachan wrote:
I found a talc free powder from Crabtree & Evelyn

Lavender
Talc-Free Body Powder made with finely milled natural corn, rice and oat flours and infused with lavender oil.

sounds nice!?! thing is not sure where that is sold in japan.....

Sounds absolutely perfect to me - I'm going to check it out. Here's a link to their website if you can't buy it in Japan. Very Happy
http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:58 am      Reply with quote
I just checked...they dont ship to japan....but you know now that I am thinking I am sure lush doesnt use talc either....will check that....could be interesting (and there are tons of lush stores here)
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:05 am      Reply with quote
I just checked lush and they do have talc in one powder but one sounds great for hair (not the name however)thing is what would bicarb be like on your scalp?
T For Toes
Ingredients:
Kaolin, Sodium Bicarbonate, Powdered Horsetail Herb (Equisetum arvense), Powdered Walnut Leaf (Juglans regia), Powdered Broom Tops (Ruscus aculeatus), Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia), Lime Oil (Citrus aurantifolia), Perfume.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
have made no progress finding something that works,....am thinking what if I make a liquid spray with witch hazel or herbs and water and spray that into the scalp between shampoos....ahh...its never ending...the endless search for the perfect products...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |