Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Which sunblock(s) do you use?????.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:35 am      Reply with quote
I am interested in this.

Currently m using the bioderma SPF 50+ the fluid version, it has quite a high PPD factor which i look for.
I have been using bioderma for more than a year now, have tried different versions along the way.

Anyway from reading round and just noticing my skin in general. It just looks tanned. Even in winter it looked tan. Not tooo tanned but stil i can see a tan lol you know what i mean. I happen to be in doors most of the time. Slather on sunscrean in the morning but i dont think re-application is abig deal as i happen to stay inside all day in front of a computer screen lol.
Anyway cause of the tan factor i am wondering whether it is the suncreans Confused
And i remeber a couple of years ago when i used to use zinc and titanium oxide based sunblocks i happend to be much lighter my face even though the sunblocks used to be much lower in SPF, although i did use to use brightening/whitening products along the way to.

Before i used to be paranoid about sunblocks, i use to wear it when im home and even indoors lol. Iv come along way since then, now when im home i just use the declor moisturizer which has SPF in it. Sick of having slick shiney look from sunscreans/blocks

Also by the way i still use a brightening product, i.e. decleor night whitening cream. But i dunno how effective that is as i havent seen any changes, but it makes a good moisturizer Confused lol so not going to waste i guess and i apply that when i can remeber Exclamation

Anyway back to the subject.
I am interested in which sunblock/sunscreans you all use. What is the SPF rating, your skin shade and whether it gives a whitish/grey look on application.

Thanks ya all Smile
guntz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I'm using Anessa SPF 50 from Shiseido, it's japanese product. The white milky lotion absorb quickly and does not left oily on my face. Wink
vanna
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I'm fair-skinned and burn quite easily, so I need a good sunscreen. I've been using LRP Anthelios L (SPF 60) for a while now and love it: it's light, absorbs easily, and doesn't leave a whitish cast.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the Avene SPF 50 (mineral sunscreen) which I really liked. However I think Boots in the UK have stopped stocking it Sad . I am currently trying the Clarins UV Plus which is just great but too expensive really. I am considering trying a L'oreal SPF 50 for the face if I can't find my Avene again.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Devita Solar Protection Creme 30, and I use a bit of macadamia nut oil beforehand if I'm craving moisture, since it's a lighter formula. It has a totally different texture than any other physical SS I've ever tried, and it has NO white cast at all. With a zinc-only formula like that you only get a PPD of about 8, but after hearing tales of tan-thru problems with euro sunscreens like Bioderma and Avene, I'm skeptical about pretty much all PPD claims these days. Rolling Eyes

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
LisaAnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch. I cannot stand the smell of most SPF products but this has a nice clean smell that doesn't bother me for everyday use.
Northerngirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
LisaAnn wrote:
I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch. I cannot stand the smell of most SPF products but this has a nice clean smell that doesn't bother me for everyday use.

I love Neutrogena dry-touch too - It has a nice clean smell. Walmart was blowing it out for $5.00 this past weekend Very Happy
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Northerngirl wrote:
LisaAnn wrote:

I love Neutrogena dry-touch too - It has a nice clean smell. Walmart was blowing it out for $5.00 this past weekend Very Happy

I use this one, too. I'll have to check my WalMart for the $5.00 special! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi simran,

I am noticing the same thing since switching to LRP Anthelios. I am going back to SS that are comprised of mostly physical blockers.

Kris

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I use Kiss Me Sunkiller Clear Water Milk SPF50 Wink
skincarefun
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone used obagi sunscreen? I read lots of good reviews, but it gave me red rash, does same for my son. I'm not sure it's ok for kids, my son is 11.
littleprakhem
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I'm using Lancome DNA GUARD SPF30 and Korres Sweet Orange SPF 15 Face And Body Milk.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:58 am      Reply with quote
[quote="NortherngirlI love Neutrogena dry-touch too - It has a nice clean smell. Walmart was blowing it out for $5.00 this past weekend Very Happy[/quote]

Well of course it was! As I bought a brand new bottle a week ago at Walgreens.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:19 am      Reply with quote
I'm of the school of thought that thinks PYHSICAL sunblocks (zinc & TD based) provide a better barrier from the sun. Chemical sunscreens always allowed me to get some color no matter the SPF or PPD. They also always broke me out and caused chemical sensitivity on my face. I also believe that physical sunblocks provide a longer protection time because they don't break down on the skin like chemical ones.

The key to find a physical SB that doesn't leave a white cast is to look for a tinted one or one that uses nano-zinc technology, basically the particle is smaller so the pigment is finer and more easily dispersed.

I'm currently using Megan Gales Invisible Zinc Junior. Its 18% zinc which is pretty high. I really like it so far, its not white and dries to a nice matte finish, its also the least greasy SB I have ever used, I'm still testing it but so far I give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

Dr. LeWinns moisturizing SB is 19% zinc and also really nice, no white cast. It was however, too moisturizing for my oily skin but, didn't cause clogged pores or breakouts.

I'm about to try another SB sent to me by a very kind forum member, I'll report back on it. Smile

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:21 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I'm a big fan of Devita Solar Protection Creme 30, and I use a bit of macadamia nut oil beforehand if I'm craving moisture, since it's a lighter formula. It has a totally different texture than any other physical SS I've ever tried, and it has NO white cast at all. With a zinc-only formula like that you only get a PPD of about 8, but after hearing tales of tan-thru problems with euro sunscreens like Bioderma and Avene, I'm skeptical about pretty much all PPD claims these days. Rolling Eyes

I just got your decant today, Im so excited to try it! Thanks again!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
sats
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Vonstella,

What do you think about dhc white, sinceuticals sunblock? what is their % of zinc?have u tried them? & where do u buy Dr. LeWinns?thanks
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Vonstella, I appreciate your summary of why you prefer physical sunblocks -- I'm in total agreement with you, but I never seem to be able to articulate why! I have had the exact same experiences as you -- breaking out, tanning through chemical SS, and very increased sensitivity.

I'm pleased to see the list you posted, and I think I may have to check those two out. Of course, I've been blabbing all over that Devita is my HG, but as all EDSers know, an HG is only an HG until the next best thing comes along. Laughing

Here's a question for you, or anyone else who wants to weigh in -- do you think particle size has an effect on how effective the protection is in physical sunblocks? I recall reading in a recent thread that certain particle sizes really only protected against certain parts of the UV spectrum. Sadly, I think it's so hard to find a good SS with the right active ingredient, right consistency/transparency, and right natural ingredient base, that I don't even worry about particle size specifics at this time. But in theory I'd like to have a better handle on that part of the equation.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:

Yayay, I do hope you like it! I think it's hard to get SS that works well for humid climates, so here's hoping it helps. I'm becoming quite evangelistic about the stuff. Smile If anyone's interested you can get it here:

http://devita.net/ -- argh, I keep trying to permalink to the product and their website kinda sucks and won't let me, but it's in the "products" link.

The stuff is HARD to track down, in my experience, but their state-by-state distributor list does seem accurate.

vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Vonstella, I appreciate your summary of why you prefer physical sunblocks -- I'm in total agreement with you, but I never seem to be able to articulate why! I have had the exact same experiences as you -- breaking out, tanning through chemical SS, and very increased sensitivity.

I'm pleased to see the list you posted, and I think I may have to check those two out. Of course, I've been blabbing all over that Devita is my HG, but as all EDSers know, an HG is only an HG until the next best thing comes along. Laughing

Here's a question for you, or anyone else who wants to weigh in -- do you think particle size has an effect on how effective the protection is in physical sunblocks? I recall reading in a recent thread that certain particle sizes really only protected against certain parts of the UV spectrum. Sadly, I think it's so hard to find a good SS with the right active ingredient, right consistency/transparency, and right natural ingredient base, that I don't even worry about particle size specifics at this time. But in theory I'd like to have a better handle on that part of the equation.

Oh thanks! Your Welcome. Very Happy

I have never heard that about particle size...do you remember the thread you read it in? I know there is some concern about nano-size particles being able to penetrate the skin and people were scared about the product getting into their blood stream or something. Personally I'm not too worried about zinc poisoning! Razz If its not one thing Im gonna die from, its another!

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I agree about zinc poisoning, but then again, I will be paying attention to new research about nanosized particles as more information becomes available.

Here's the original thread, entitled "Is PFA the same as PPD?". It got a little hot in there, honestly, with some snippish back-and-forth, but it also had two skincare professionals, Dr. Karl Gruber and Aurelian Lis, and I found their contributions to be very informative... yet I still have questions.

It doesn't help that many companies neglect to post PPD or particle size. Devita, my SS baby, doesn't even put "SPF" on there -- I'm not sure if that means it hasn't been officially tested or what, but it frustrates me. Obviously, the FDA ratings for SPF and such are lacking, but it's better than nothing, ya know?

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
I'm having trouble finding an ingredient list for Dr. Lewinn's sunscreen. Any chance you could link to one?

vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
All I can find is:

Ingredients
- Zinc Oxide: Natural Sunscreen
- Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil: Moisturising & Rejuvenating
- Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride: Moisturising & Protecting
- Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf: Soothing & Moisturising
- Hydrolysed Soy Protein: Soothing & Moisturising

On my bottle is lists only zinc as the active ingre. and perservatives as--Phenoxyethanol 0.3% w/w, Total Hydroxbenzoates 0.3% w/w.

You may want to try emailing the company, also you can request a sample from this site too.

http://yhst-44653400301623.stores.yahoo.net/shallpr.html

vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
vonstella wrote:

Yayay, I do hope you like it! I think it's hard to get SS that works well for humid climates, so here's hoping it helps. I'm becoming quite evangelistic about the stuff. Smile If anyone's interested you can get it here:

http://devita.net/ -- argh, I keep trying to permalink to the product and their website kinda sucks and won't let me, but it's in the "products" link.

The stuff is HARD to track down, in my experience, but their state-by-state distributor list does seem accurate.

Well, I really like it so far, you were right it soaks up immediately and I'm not greasy/white at all, in fact I cant tell I have anything on. The only way to tell if I will really love it is to get the full size and see if I still get color when wearing it. Will keep you updated!

ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Cool! I thought you'd love it. I actually just sent a VERY detailed request for more info to their creator, so hopefully I'll get an answer on my questions about particle size, PPD, and rhatany root (an herbal extract they claim has UV protection benefits). I'll keep ya posted!

For what it's worth, I don't find myself getting any color with the Devita, but then most sunscreen research shows that you can be getting damaged even if you don't tan or freckle. So I'll look forward to their response to my barrage of questions, haha.

And thanks for the tip about samples/ingredients for Dr. Lewinn's -- I'll definitely write them and ask for some!

yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
I am using MDF SPF 30+, its very good.. it didnt cause pimples.. Smile

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |