Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
HELP - ENLARGED PORES!!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I will look into the OBagi product. Thanks
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
microdermabrasion is supposed to help with the pores-you need a series of treatments though,so if you are willing to invest Smile
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:51 am      Reply with quote
The microderms do work pretty well...before my wedding, I got a really good facial, cleaned everything out, and then started on a series of the microderms. I was really happy with the results. However, it's something that you have to keep up very, very regularly.
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:29 am      Reply with quote
I second the facials...I actually have one scheduled for today. I try to do them every 1-2 months and they seem to keep the blackheads and other pore cloggers at bay. I don't know if extractions really enlarge pores, but my pores seem to become less noticable after a facial. For at-home treatments, I also reccommend Phytomer OligoPur Sebum clearing masque...it's a thick green clay masque that always illicits giggles from the boyfriend, but it does seem to shrink those pesky pores around my nose. Tryto leave it on until it dries...which varies depending on how humid it is, so I generally have to leave the bathroom and sit around for a while (hence the boyfriend giggling as I watch TV in my green masque). I would only use this one once a week at most though as it's somewhat drying and be sure to add some moisturizer or a moisture spray after you wash it off.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Feliz: I totally sympathize w your large/clogged pore problem. For most of my life, I suffered terribly with this problem, and regardless of what I did, nothing helped.

Within the past yr, however, I started using DPL, regular Microdermabrasion (see NCN's website for both DPL and her Micro machines),CPs, VitC, MaMa Lotion, emu oil, PSF's O2, HA. Important for me also was learning and respecting wait times after applying products.

My most important discovery was my skin's reaction to two ingredients that are commonly found in many skin care products: sodium lauryl sulfate- SLS (or its derivitives)and Dimethicone.

My normally thickish, very tolerant, oil-prone skin becomes dry, scratchy, and irritated if SLS is in any products I use. But what really clogs & enlarges my pores, making my skin generally look pukey in colour, & every other thing we don't want for our skin is Dimethicone. It is widely used in skin care products to provide 'slip' to ease the application of the product. However, it does terrible things to my skin, regardless of the forumulation, the reputation or the price of a product.

This thread contains many excellent suggestions to help you with your problem but having suffered with it myself, I thought I'd share something that was worked wonders for me and noone else has mentioned: eliminate from your routine anything containing Dimethicone. Try it as an experiment for about 2-3 months. If it works - wonderful, if not, well, you've got lots of other great suggestions.

My large, clogged pores are gone!!!!!! This is a TOTAL miracle for me. Once I realized Dimethicone was the culprit, and eliminated it, I was on my way & have never looked back. My skin is in better condition than it was 10 yrs ago!

There are lots of quality products that do not contain Dimethicone - but be sure to research the ingredient list very carefully (call if in doubt) before buying anything - sometimes only active or 'hot' ingredients are listed on websites and the full list is only available on the packaging. This is especially true of pricier products - they often contain laundry lists of ingredients you don't see on the site but which in the end may cause you problems.

One final note - white flour and sugar also do awful things to my skin, as do cola drinks. Luckily, I'm a fruitaholic, love greens & whole grains & prefer drinking water.

Honestly, if I can beat the problem, anybody can.

Good Luck Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:

There is an upside to having large pores: Because this skin type tends to be more oily, it wrinkles less than dry, fine-textured complexions.

Great! So I guess my nose won't get any wrinkles! LOL.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Arya2,

Wow, thanks for the extensive advice. What brand of Vit C do you prefer? I am on the list to purchase CP, do you use Skinbiology CP?

I don't use SLS, or Dimethecone. I have found that propylene glycol is VERY clogging to my pores, and it is in the Proheal serum that helps keep my skin clear.

I think almost EVERYTHING clogs my pores. I have used a few oil products like Dr.H normalizing day oil, HA products will....and the list goes on.

MaMa lotion looks like a good product, do you recommend it more than IS Clinical??

Thanks, it is wonderful to get advice from you, and maybe time for a few product changes in my skin care regime.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Arya2,

I was just looking at the MaMA lotion and noticed they use Dimethicone in that product?? Isnt that strange if it is clogging to the pores?
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
one more things....I noticed that both JI and True Cosmetics BOTH use dimethicone in their makeup....NO WONDER my pores are always and issue!! I use MMU almost every day....actually everyday!!!

What do you recommend for makeup, or other MMU that do not clog pores!!!!
FizzyBubbles
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
I cannot personally attest to this but I thought I would share it....

Not sure if you watch QVC but QVC is a top seller of Bare Escentuals. The CEO, Leslie Blodgett, is the spokesperson and does 90% of the presentations. Rare Minerals, their "revolutionary" skin care product decreases pore size. Ok, not the "appearance" of pore size but actual pore size. As noted in previous posts, experts say this is almost impossible. QVC, HSN, ShopNBC all have brutal legal departments and the hosts and vendors have to be VERY careful about claims. Everything is scrutinized by legal and you will often hear the hosts correcting vendors or customer callers with disclaimers..."individual results will vary, etc." Anyway, Leslie is always very careful to be clear that all her clinicals and studies have passed the scrutiny of the brutal legal team and indeed, it reduced the ACTUAL pore size. Measured before, measured after, and diameter of pore was smaller.

Reviews on Rare Minerals is mixed - seems to be a love or hate. For some it has been a miracle from fine lines, to age spots, to hydrations and other found it to be completely a waste and even pore clogging.

All I can tell you is this is the very first time that I, a skin care fool, have heard any product claim it reduces the ACTUAL pore size rather than the "appearance" of pore size.

Leslie's explanation is very detailed about all the properties and benefits of Rare Minerals but I've just focused this post on what she says about pore size.

Regardless, I think reducing pore size will take a long term commitment so be patient regardless of what you choose.....retin a, vitamin c, copper peptides, etc.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
I find that the appearance of my pores has diminished greatly after having a series of microdermabrasions done. It's also helped with the oiliness of my skin, as well as significantly helped lightened some hyperpigmented spots from old breakouts (the older brownish spots tend to be harder to get rid of than newer reddish marks, at least for my skin)

I've been reading that AHA/BHA also helps to keep pores clean, so i'm looking into that too. Good 'ol informative EDS Very Happy
bahesmama

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using a BHA/salicylic acid cream followed by a retinol every night and morning for about two months and have seen a great deal of improvement on my pore size. My pores have become enlarged from acne breakouts and, I guess, age. I'm 38, but people are always shocked. A lady recently told me I look like I'm in my early 20's! So, I don't have wrinkling as much as the pore issue. I'm olive-skinned and oily. My ethnic background is American Indian. I never really had bad acne, just one or two now and then, but after some 24 years of it it has taken a toll on my skin. No craters, or ice pick scars, just enlarged pores and red marks left from old acne. I had IPL done on my nose for one red mark that would not go away and it worked great and was gone. I was pregnant or nursing for most of my 30's and so, couldn't use alot of acne medicine.

I use Green Cream as a retinol and that has been great. I started with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-wrinkle cream, than worked my way up to Green Cream 6 over the past several weeks. Healthy Skin has a retinol of I think .02 and Green Cream starts at .03 then to .06, which I'm using now. I plan to add Green Cream 9 in a few weeks than after a few more weeks add Retin-A, which my dermatologist has prescribed. Retinol's work well at reducing pore size and increasing collagen which helps reduce the appearance of pores.

I also use a BHA/salicylic acid cream. Many like Paula's Choice 2%, but I went with Olay Age Defying Daily Renewal Cream because I could buy it right away! It has a BHA in it and cleans out the pores, so that it minimizes breakouts caused by pore shrinkage. I put the BHA on first, then wait 30 minutes and put on the retinol. Yeah, my skin looks much better. I am now looking at some other creams as well the Derma-E DMAE I read about on MUA and C15ie Advanced C-Serum Antioxidant Treatment recommended by Futurederm. And of course, the Baby-quasar I read about on here!

I had microdermabrasion a year ago or so, and it is good for getting off a couple of layers of dead skin and letting the creams work better. I think that either Paula at Cosmeticscop or futurederm said that a recent study found that the benefits wore off after two treatments. Collagen did not improve after that and even decreased. So, it's a good start, but for real collagen growth (to hide the pores) retinol or retin-a is your best bet.
vnewskin
5% products discount

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:37 am      Reply with quote
I have large pores on my nose. I don't have spots or acne though. Is it too extreme to use retin a just for pores?
POPO
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:39 am      Reply with quote
clarisonic? does this gonna help with black head? caz i do not just have huge pores on my nose but blackheads...
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
SylphideNoir wrote:
Dr. Brandt has been quoted as saying that flaxseed thins sebum and shrinks pores. Never tried it but an interesting thought.

I'm not sure if it this is so............
AnahimSkywalker

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi I'm on a mission to help people with large pores as I have suffered with them for years. I finally found a simple fix using silicon scar patches. It was suggested by Ava Naturals, details below:
Search for avanaturals(dot)store blog called "my-gigantic-ass-pores-finally-gone"
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:04 am      Reply with quote
I have given up on topical products to minimize pores. I am saving up for ND YAG Q switch laser....
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I heard from a few friendw who are using Makeup Artists Choice
Mandelic Acid Toner

and they swear by it. May be worth a try?
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |