Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Where to stay in NYC???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
My son wanted to go to NYC for his birthday, so I booked airline tickets a few weeks ago. I started looking for hotels tonight and can not believe how much they are, I don't know if its the week I am going or if I am just cheap...$600.00 a night is CRAZY~. Can anyone recommend a decent, moderately priced hotel??

I'm not that familiar with the city, but wanted to take him to Rockefeller center, FAO Schwarz, etc.

We are arriving Friday 11/30 and leaving Monday 12/3.
Thanks to all!~~
Chris & Harrison

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I know! I was looking at hotel prices a few months ago and New York surely must be the most expensive city to stay in the world. Even not very nice hotels seem to be charging a ridiculous amount of money. It makes London seem like a bargain in comparison.

Maybe you could stay a little way out of/on the edges of the city? I think prices should be lower there.

Sorry, I have no suggestions myself, as I couldn't find any reasonably priced decent hotels.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
I think that has a lot to do with the season, right after Thanksgiving. Sometimes you get much better deals by calling the hotels themselves versus internet searches.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Staying in Manhattan is always expensive, no matter what time of the year you visit. If it's cheaper then it's probably not a place you want to be, unfortunately. I would recommend staying in a hotel in Queens or Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights Marriot is really nice, and it's right over the Brooklyn Bridge - only 10 minutes into Manhattan via subway.)

Definitely take a look at priceline, too.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:18 am      Reply with quote
No advice, just sympathy Sad . Hubby and I are going to New York (first time - woo-hoo!!) the week before Thanksgiving and I couldn't believe how expensive the hotels were - had to have a stiff drink and a lie-down after we made the reservation! Hope you find something more affordable for your trip.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
No advice, just sympathy Sad . Hubby and I are going to New York (first time - woo-hoo!!) the week before Thanksgiving and I couldn't believe how expensive the hotels were - had to have a stiff drink and a lie-down after we made the reservation! Hope you find something more affordable for your trip.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in thinking the hotels are expensive. I have a couple of friends in the city, they offered their air bed, but (not wanting to impose) I said I get a hotel. That was before I knew I would have to sell a kidney to afford a hotel room in NYC. Laughing
I think I might be crashing on their floor.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I will be there the same period. It is the X-mas holiday perios and even when I went to Priceline I got $600. You need to know someone to get better (I got something through a friend who is a high muckidy muck in a big company but still using one of their rooms it is $380/night. I usually stay at the Parker-Meridian (has a pool for dd). The prices are MUCH cheaper at other time periods (at least half). The only suggestion is to go to the city edges.. There are many nice hotels near subway or PATH lines just outside the city (20min. ride). We did this last Xmas.
EskieServant
5% products discount

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Agree with other posters - NY is very expensive in general but more so at time you are going. I am going to suggest something awful only because my husband has to go to Newark, NJ this week on business. There is a Hilton Family Brand Hotel in Newark near Newark's Penn Station. I don't know whether you have to take the hotel's shuttle to the train or if the hotel is located right by it, but apparently it takes 40 minutes by train to get to Manhattan. He is actually staying at the Riverwalk, NJ Hilton othewise I could give you a report Sat. night when he gets back. I expect though that you are flying into/from LaGuardia, but just a thought. If you check on Trip Advisor for the Penn Hilton you can read reviews etc. by other travellers who have stayed at this hotel to save money.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Hrmm..I'm not sure if I would suggest staying in Newark. It's not such a nice area, in my experience. If you want to waste 40 minutes traveling into Manhattan you can always stay in a nicer part of Long Island. Having said that, double check any hotels you book through an online site, because I did a search for hotels in the "New York City Area" and some of the areas that showed up were very much not NYC! I can't imagine how many disappointed travelers book their discounted NYC hotel only to find they are in the middle of nowhere...
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I love staying downtown but would not pay $600 for a just OK room. They're doing it because the occupancy during the X-mas holiday is high, people will pay it. You can, however, get hotels a walk from a subway or train line in nice neighborhoods that should run 200-300 or less. Make sure as someone above said that you scout the area. I'm sorry I can not give specific suggestions because my favorites are booked so I begged a friend for help (companies often book blocks of rooms for their use at fixed rates.

Good luck.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think this is going to be much help but, whenever we go to the city we stay at a hotel in Jersey. It doesn't take us that long to get to the city by way of the Lincoln tunnel. I'm sorry I can't give you the cities name or the hotels name as my ex BF use to always make the arrangements. Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find something..in Jersey anyways Cool

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Have a look at Priceline.com, in particular in combination with biddingfortravel.com to see what the current winning bids for hotels are. I have used Priceline a number of time for NY accommodation. Last time (March) I got my mum a room at the Rockefeller Centre Hotel for about $130 instead of the $500 rack rate. The time before that, I got her the Hilton (TS) for not much more during Thanksgiving!

Best results with Priceline.com are usually had a bit closer to your travel date. I'd start looking about 2 weeks before I go. Make sure you read the bidding strategies on biddingfortravel.com to get the best price for a higher * hotel. HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
My absolute FAVE is the Mandarin Oriental. However, I usually pay about $1600 Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:40 am      Reply with quote
i stayed at the quality crown times square last time i was in nyc and was very impressed..the hotel was going through major renovation (transforming into a small boutique hotel) and it's just off 47th and around the corner is time square
location is perfect to go either uptown or downtown
room was decent size since probably not alot of time will be spent there anyway..very clean and modern decor..rate was around 150/nite
highly recommend it and i would stay there again!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
It really depends on the exact date. I like the Parker Meridian because it has a pool for dd. I got an e-mail saying that it was $150/night the three days before thanksgiving. The price I got on Travelocity was over $600 for the next week.

Also until last year I was able to use Priceline for reasonable prices at X-mas. Last year that changed and we did not stay in a downtown hotel during the X-mas holiday because we could not get anything reasonable even through Priceline. This discount WEBsites work but only when they are relatively empty. Also about 14 months ago their seemed to be a huge price increase.

MPER: You must be joking $1600per night!!! No room is worth that. Even if you're really rich there are better things to do with $$$$$
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
You could rent an apartment in Manhattan for $1600. Per MONTH!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |