Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Baby Q/Quasar SP and in-salon IPL - results?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I know they work differently, but I would like to know if it's worth getting both of these done or not.

I'm thinking of getting the Baby Q or Quasar SP. I have always been meaning to get a course of in-salon IPL treatments too, and I thought winter would be a good time when I'm not tanned.

Does anyone have experience of both - is it worth getting both and do you get different benefits from each one?

thankyou very much
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have had a number of IPL treatments over the years - I always go for one aggressive treatment, rather than a course of less invasive treatments. The first couple of treatments I had were to address very noticeable broken capillaries that were all over my face. I was very happy with the results. I've had IPL maybe once a year since, just for its anti-ageing benefits and to fix up the persistent broken caps that keep appearing around my nose.

I also use a Baby Quasar. I bought this in the hope that it would also stimulate the production of collagen - and there has definitely been an improvement in the look of my skin although I am also doing lost of other things as well. I do not think that the Baby Q has done anything for the broken caps though.

I do recommend having IPL if you have hyper-pigmentation or broken caps (in my case it was a quick fix). The Baby Q is a home use device so its good to have - I feel as though I'm doing something proactive for my skin.
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much Keliu for that great reply, I was thinking maybe no-one would have experience of both Very Happy

I don't have big issues with broken veins, just a few. But I do have brown pigmentation all over my nose, freckles on my forehead, and permanent redness on my chin from acne scarring.

IPL is expensive, so I'd expect quite a lot from it! I would expect a much bigger effect from the Baby Q/Quasar SP.
I would like from the IPL:
- skin to be all one colour, with no brown or red pigmentation, freckles or broken veins
- more luminous looking skin
- firmer skin

Are these expectations reasonable?

Baby Q/Quasar SP I would use for better blood flow, firming, increased product aborption.

The reviews here on EDS for the Quasar sound great - but if I was to do IPL too, I'd expect a much bigger improvement!
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry I meant to say I'd expect a much bigger effect from IPL, THAN from the Baby Q/Quasar SP Embarassed
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu I seem to remember you are in Australia. In queensland maybe? Is so can you tell me who you use for IPL.
Sorry for the hijack!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Chickenlittle,
As I stated earlier, I had IPL for broken caps but my daughter had very bad hyper-pigmentation all over her face so she had that treated at the same time as me. Initially the pigmentation looks ten times worse - the brown spots turn much darker but eventually they flake off and disappear. So you can expect to look a bit gross for about a week - 10 days. Note that this was with one aggressive treatment, not a series of minor ones. Make sure when you go for the treatment that you discuss your issues and expectations before hand with the doctor or nurse. If possible, get a guarantee that they will re-treat, if necessary, until you are completely happy with the result.

Hi Kate,
Yes, you're right I live on the Gold Coast. The first time I had IPL I was in Brisbane and went to Dr. Michael Szalay phone (07) 3839 7222. Now I go to the Envisage Clinic at Bundall phone (07) 5561 0993 - a nurse called Rachel does the treatment.

HTH Very Happy Carol
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi carol,
just pmed you to save thread jacking chickenlittles thread Laughing
indira
5% products discount

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I'm wondering the same thing as the original poster--Is there anyone else who would care to share/compare their results with these two treatments? I'm considering both options and would love to here different peoples experiences... Very Happy Thanks in advance.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
An IPL is a much different procedure than the LED treatment of the Baby Q.
An IPL zaps blood vessels, caps, redness, etc. I would google a Photofacial, which is a type of IPL treatment. It penetrates beneath your skin.
The Baby Q will not penetrate to remove broken caps or blood vessels. It does firm temporarily and can even out the skin tone.
I have had 6-7 IPL's and use the baby q every couple of weeks. If it could have replaced the IPL, I would be a happy camper.
You will get much more noticeable results, but a higher overall cost from the IPL.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I had four IPLs at my dermatologist's office, a month apart, to refresh my skin, which diminished but did not eliminate the broken capillaries around my nose. After the IPLs, I bought a Baby Quasar (red) and started using it every other night. The capillaries are now completely gone!!

I also started Skin Bio products, so I'm not sure if it's a combination of the BQ and SB, or just the BQ (which I love, by the way).

My husband also does the BQ and his skin has really changed in only a couple of months. Our experience is that the BQ really does have lasting changes, not just temporary. Maybe different people respond differently to LED?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Wow, that's amazing. I used it for several years for every other night and it did nothing for my capillaries, since it is just LED lights, not a laser. How I would have loved it if it did and I could have talked many a person into buying one. But I would not recommend someone spend the money for one hoping to eliminate caps alone and I would bet many would second that opinion.
It will plump your skin, even skin tone for some and help products penetrate as long as you continue to use it and for those reasons alone, I still use it.

5% products discount

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Ladies who are in Australia, where you do get your Baby Quasar from?

I'm weary of buying it off US site due to potential voltage issues with using with Aussie electricity (240v).
Am I worrying needlessly as its multi-voltage?

Are you still seeing lasting changes and do you think it will work for shallow acne scars that I have across my cheeks?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:04 am      Reply with quote
I did see your pics under your thread on the scars and sadly to say, LED's won't help with scars. An IPL will help clear up some acne/acne scars/red spots but you still need to treat for the recurring acne if you have it. It looks like from your pics that you need a more ablative type such as the CO2 laser or Fraxel.
I strongly recommend a derm appt. to discuss your treatment options. Then maybe you can dermaroll, but lasers and that type of treatment will make acne surface. I have been through that as both made me break out for six months after the lasers. It brings everything to the surface and that can make more red spots, etc. I had to be on antibiotics. I am finally doing a short course of accutane which has been a miracle worker to my skin. I can use the Baby Q and that is great for helping to keep skin plump and even but it is a fine-tuner at best.
I love the IPL's for caps and red spots, but it did not help scars.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 am      Reply with quote
lilpil wrote:
Ladies who are in Australia, where you do get your Baby Quasar from?

I'm weary of buying it off US site due to potential voltage issues with using with Aussie electricity (240v).
Am I worrying needlessly as its multi-voltage?

Are you still seeing lasting changes and do you think it will work for shallow acne scars that I have across my cheeks?

I'm in Australia and I bought mine from the seller's website http://www.babyquasar.com/ but it's also available from EDS now. There is no problem with the voltage, they'll give you the appropriate plug.

Like Annie, I don't think that LED therapy will do anything for acne scars - your best bet there is a Dermaroller. But you can't roll over active acne.

I should also mention that I prefer the Anti-Aging Lightstim LED over the Baby Q - but that's just my preference.

5% products discount

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your advice AnnieR.
These are quite old scars (5 years) and I still get the occasional breakout but nothing as bad as my 24 mths of crazy outbreak back in my uni days. The reason why the pic is red is because I took the picture straight after derma rolling so my skin was quite inflamed.

I have booked a derm appt but appt it is not till August. He is just a GP referral derm though, do I need to seek a cosmetical dermatogolist as well?

Also, can anyone advise me of Aussie prices on approx costs of CO2 or fraxel treatments?

5% products discount

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I should also mention that I prefer the Anti-Aging Lightstim LED over the Baby Q - but that's just my preference.

Keliu - where can I find more info on the lightstim LED and why do you prefer that over the Baby Q?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
lilpil wrote:
Keliu - where can I find more info on the lightstim LED and why do you prefer that over the Baby Q?

See this thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29297

I just had a Pearl Laser treatment done in Sydney and was very happy with the results. See here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=38363

5% products discount

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link to your pearl laser thread Keliu.
You look beautiful - so radiant and absolutely not 60 at all.

I'm fairly early into researching what treatments are available for my conditions and what the prices are.

My main concerns are the scarring, large pores, skin lumps and some broken capillaries along the side of my face.

Do you have any recs on what treatments I should be enquiring/researching on to address these concerns?

You are Sydney based aren't you? Anyone from Melb who can recommend a good derm that I should try to see?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your lovely words!

Actually, I'm not in Sydney, I live on the Gold Coast - but currently I'm living on a boat in Cairns. As far as your conditions are concerned - you really need to go and have a personal consultation and see what they recommend for your issues.

If you are in Melbourne, I can recommend a lady called Katrina. She's at a clinic at Suite 101, 2 Collins Street, Melbourne, phone: 03 96546365. She will give you good, honest advice.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 am      Reply with quote
I paid 400.00 for one Fraxel treatment here in Texas. Don't know how that compares to there?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I paid 400.00 for one Fraxel treatment here in Texas. Don't know how that compares to there?

In general, cosmetic treatments (and plastic surgery) is much more expensive here than in the US. My daughter visits the US fairly regularly, and she tells me everything is much cheaper there - cosmetic dentistry, everything.

I paid AUD$2000.00 for my Pearl Laser!

5% products discount

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have a feeling I'm going to be incredibly broke if and when I go ahead with any of these procedures.... Sad
I better start saving up.

Keliu - have you experience the Skin Physics LED light therapy device? I think this is the locally made one and is available from Myer (only $299 too) and am wondering whether that is an option to take rather than looking at offshore devices that I can't see before buying, and possibly hard to get warranty service with.

Any one else who have experience with them able to compare and give feedback on it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:38 am      Reply with quote
lilpil wrote:
Keliu - have you experience the Skin Physics LED light therapy device? I think this is the locally made one and is available from Myer (only $299 too) and am wondering whether that is an option to take rather than looking at offshore devices that I can't see before buying, and possibly hard to get warranty service with.

Any one else who have experience with them able to compare and give feedback on it?

I accidentally fused my Anti-Aging Lightstim so, yes, I did check out the Skin Physics device. The treatment time is longer, 3 mins pre-treatment, 4 mins per spot - so that put me off. So I contacted Lightstim and they immediately arranged for a replacement at a discounted price - incredible, seeing that it was my fault. They just have the best customer service. As for ordering on line from overseas. I've never had a problem - and quite often I find I receive goods from overseas faster than I do from local sellers.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:34 am      Reply with quote
I have had - fraxel, IPL and Omnilux in a salon. all are effective but all do different things.

IPL is great for reducing diffuse redness and improving the texture of the skin. It didn't get rid of stubborn capillaries though - I got these with another laser treatment (I can't remember the name).

The Omnilux treatment has to be one of my favourite spa therapies. It's non-invasive and relaxing. Immediately afterwards my skin looks a bit red but the next day my skin is amazing. It looks plumped-up and dewy. I would do this every week if I could afford it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:51 am      Reply with quote
PosyLee wrote:
The Omnilux treatment has to be one of my favourite spa therapies. It's non-invasive and relaxing. Immediately afterwards my skin looks a bit red but the next day my skin is amazing. It looks plumped-up and dewy. I would do this every week if I could afford it.

This is the reason many of us buy our own home-use LEDs.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |