Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone ever have a Sebaceous cyst on the face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
My sister used to get those and yes you can get them injected to go down-she always did. Do not let a dr cut it open or surgically excise,that happened to my sister and she was left with a big crater on her face....very hard to repair .
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for bumping this one CMAYC! I wish this forum had been around 20 years ago when I was a teenager, and battling what sounds like these types of cysts. (Thank goodness for the internet now!) If I ever get a cyst again, I'm definitely going for the injection! Unfortunately, I had a couple that they cut, and as lucyluc says, the result years later is still not good, and I am very self-conscious of the scar. Sad

Speaking of a Naturopath, does anyone have any recommendations in the SoCal area?
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Is it a cortisone injection that you're speaking of? I've heard that it can make the condition worse...is that true? If not, how long is it effective for?
msaries1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'm presuming it's the cortisone. I've heard that the cortisone injections do wonders in bringing down the cyst, and relatively quickly.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I had the cortisone injection a while back and posted that I had no side effects. Well, it initially seemed to deflate the cyst but within several weeks it came back and the dent from the injection also surfaced. So I now, I feel like the cyst is smaller again--it just doesn't seem to be as poofed out, but maybe because I'm distracted by the dent! Rolling Eyes BTW, the dermatologist REALLY didn't want to do the injection because of the potential for the "dent" but I begged and begged. So more recently I have been "rolling" the dent and the cyst area, as well as the rest of my face, with a 1mm dermaroller and I feel like it is helping everything. I didn't want to post about it until I saw more definitive results, but oh well..I just did Surprised I'll keep ya posted....

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Mountain girl....if you had to do it over again, would you still get the cortisone injection? I'm wondering if I should try it, but the nearest derm. is 4 hours away. How bad is the dent. My cyst is in the center of my chin - I'm afraid I'll end up looking like John Travolta!!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
I just don't know what to say about whether or not I would do it again. I guess it was worth the risk and hey! the John Travolta chin look could be cute Wink Honestly, the dent seems to be diminishing really quickly and I am attributing that to using the dermaroller. I can't help but also wonder if the dermaroller is also impacting the cyst. I can feel it but it doesn't seem as poofy. I have to say though, that the dent was bigger and deeper than I expected. It is just to the side of my chin in a place that a Shirley Temple dimple might be, so it didn't bother me all that much. If you go for it, just be prepared for a sunken pit in that spot on your face.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
It's funny that I have to choose between a lump or a dent....pimple or crater?! Decisions, decisions!!

I'll have to look into this Dermaroller thing. How long did you use it before you saw results?
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I know, I know...what a choice. To answer your question about how long I've used the dermaroller: Only about 5 times. I just got it! I'm tellin' ya though, the mini-crater seems to be flattening back out all of sudden and all I can think of is it might be repairing itself from the needling. I really didn't want to post about it yet until I could observe the results after more extensive use of the dermaroller, but what the heck!

bathedinshadow

Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
At the risk of digging up an old topic again....

I'm curious to know how things went with the roller.

I too had an injection and ended up with a dent. The dent eventually went away on it's own for the most part, but now it is like a little dark spot on the middle of the cyst.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have tiny little holes left where I've had cycsts removed and have been rolling over them. I can assure you that I am seeing some improvement but it's a long slow process. BTW I've been rolling for about 12 months. To be honest, nobody else would probably notice them - but, of course, I'm fixated with them!
Freer

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I was just wondering if this forum was still active im new on here and i just spent the last little while reading you're posts and it sounds like good information. I have a cyst right on the bridge of my nose and i have no idea how to get rid of it, i could really use some tips thanks guys.
Tillyful

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I posted this in the EDS Lounge but seen this and thought it may be useful here as well.

I first noticed my cyst about 9 years ago, it was tiny and deep in my cheek. I seen a DR. who told me to leave it be, it was too small to make a difference and not worth the scar of having it removed. A few years later it was bigger and a bit bothersome, I seen another DR. who told me again to leave it be. I knew it was growing but I never realized how much until people started asking me about it and a few years ago I knew I needed to do something about it. I seen a DR. who told me to expect a 4 to 5 inch scar down the front of my face and that it would be hideous for at least a few years. I freaked, didnt go back and kept trying to hide my cyst from myself and others. A few monthes ago I realized that I was changing..my personality was standoffish, I wanted to stay at home more, I didnt want to meet new people..All because of this damn cyst! I decided to email a plastic surgeon in my area and he wanted to meet with me. He told me he could help and I would have a tiny scar and feel so much better. I decided to trust him and quit being so scared to have this taken care of and I had the surgery Friday January 22nd. Prior to the surgery I was all over the net trying to find pictures and stories similar to mine, I just wanted anything to ease my mind and really see for myself what was in store for me. I wanted to post this just in case there is someone out there like me, leary to have a surgery and curious as to what to expect; Maybe this will ease your mind and encourage people to get a 2nd opinion, or a 3rd, keep getting one until you find a dr. you can trust. By the way, I paid for this out of pocket and though I thought it was going to cost 4 to 5k the plastic surgeon charged me $500.00. He said that with all the boob jobs and tummy tucks he does, it was nice to do a surgery that meant more to someone. I finally am going to get my smile back. Finally. I hope this helps someone. I have before and after pictures I would like to post, I will try to figure out how if anyone is interested.
garbath
5% products discount

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Tillyful you're right about getting the cyst removed by a plastic surgeon.

My sister had one for more than 8 years and it got bigger and bigger. Her cyst was just below the lip (on the left side nearer to the chin) and it was really bad. It soon got inflamed and grew larger. My sister is really fair skinned and the cyst was green (got infected).

She didn't opt for surgery cos she feared it would leave her with scars. Finally this month, she had it removed by a plastic surgeon. My parents were amazed to see the size of the stiches. It was really small. The doctor said it would leave the smallest of scars.
Alladin

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:15 am      Reply with quote
Hello, just want to share... The other day I had a sebeceous cyst excission on my left cheek. It's an out patient procedure so I didn't have to stay long in the hospital. Anyway it was done in the operating room. My face was covered and only the part of my left cheek was exposed. First thing they did was disinfecting the surrounding skin area, after which they injected local anesthesia then made an incission. Then I could feel something weird as if they were trying to pull the cyst away from the flesh... and while doing that they would carefully cut by layer... It took about 20 minutes to remove the cyst... It wasn't painful thanks to the anesthesia... but as they were stitching it to close thats were I felt pain... I think it's because the anesthesia was already wearing off? So I felt the 4 stitches they did. Man! That hurt alot. They showed me the cyst they got out... It was marble size... color is close to black... and shape was almost perfect round. Whoever have cyst on they cheek... do have it removed. Dont be scared. If you touch your cyst and it moves with your finger then you have nothing to worry about... most ofthen than not its benign after a biopsy... biopsy is SOP evertime they remove a cyst. According to the doctore the coplicated cyst to deal with are cyst that doesn't move... ( It's like being prominent, or fixed on a certain part) Hope I helped out anyone who reads this. Thanks
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:04 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad to see this thread revived. I am still dealing with that same sebaceous cyst. I have researched sebaceous cysts online, and read about a "Minimal Excision Technique," where the opening is very small (minimizing scarring,) but apparently not commonly performed by the average Doc. I wonder if that is what you had Tillyful? Where did you go? Are you and the other posters, who have had it cut out, seeing any scarring?

MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:27 am      Reply with quote
oops, double-post. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:28 am      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
My 16 year old son has a sebaceous cyst on his cheek close to the under-eye area. It is the size of a marble "now." He does have some pimples, so I figured it was a pimple and waited for it to come to a head. It never did. But underneath the skin it kept getting bigger. My son is scheduled to have it removed at the hospital next week by a plastic surgeon. The reason that sebaceous cysts have to be cut out is because not only do they have to drain the contents, but there is the sac (lining) that needs to be removed. If they just remove the puss and the sac remains, then the sac will continue to fill again and will keep getting the same problem coming back. I am hoping that there is minimal scarring as he is only 16. My son wants it removed and is not worried about a scar, he just doesn't like everyone asking him on a daily basis what is that on his face.

Since this thread poppped back up I thought I would give a followup on my son's face. It has been a little over 2 years since he had the sebaceous cyst removed. He just turned 19 years old. Initially, the incision area of about 1/2 inch on his cheek showed a pink line for some time on his face. Now, the incision line is barely noticeable and has faded in nicely with his fair skin. The plastic surgeon did a great job. For my son, I don't think there was anyway to remove it without having done the surgery route. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I had three cysts removed over 30 years ago. They did leave small scars, but they've faded over time and don't worry me at all. But I would imagine that surgery these days would be much better than when I had it done.

Mountaingirl - my only comment is this, even if you do end up with a tiny scar - that is still allot better than the lump of the cyst, which seems to get bigger every time you look in the mirror!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with you Keliu. Lump or divit. I'd rather have the divit or a line. I need to find a Plastic Surgeon who does the Minimal Excision Technique....hoping someone will point me in a direction. Absolutely no dermatologist I've seen, will touch this thing.

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I agree with you Keliu. Lump or divit. I'd rather have the divit or a line. I need to find a Plastic Surgeon who does the Minimal Excision Technique....hoping someone will point me in a direction. Absolutely no dermatologist I've seen, will touch this thing.

Here is a write up on exactly how they do this...it says that most doctors receive any necessary training during their residency. I wonder why the reluctance to do yours?

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/units/family_medicine/media/excision_sebaceous_cyst_-_AFP_Zuber.pdf

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I have been diagnosed with a sebaceous cyst just to the side of my chin and have a visable raised spot. I am wondering if anyone has been able to reduce the size or get rid of one with a steroid injection. No doc wants to cut it out because of the scarring (and I tend not to be a good scar healer anyway.) HELP! Confused

I woke up one morning with a sore, black and blue bump on the bridge of my nose that turned out to be a sebaceous cyst. The doctor gave me antibiotics for it, and it went away in 10 days.

After the cyst on my nose went away, I developed three others that did have to be surgically removed. I was lucky - my dermatologist sent me to a good surgeon, and even with stitches I have no scarring at all.

hth
miaouss

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:45 am      Reply with quote
I have a sebaceous cyst right in the middle of my forehead!! About 1cm of diameter. It appeared a month ago, out of nowhere!

I have now this lump 2 cm above my eyebrows and it gives me nightmares... People say it's not that noticeable, but I can see only that whenever I look at photos of me.

I went to the university doctor and she told me there is no other solution than to have it surgically removed.

I'm very concerned about the cost of the surgery. I'm a student and I will have to pay out of my own pockets. Problem: there is a 12 months wait for the public surgeon. I took an appointment in 3 days with a plastic surgeon here in Hong Kong.

I'm also very worried about having a scar.

Let me keep you posted.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Twenty-five years ago, I had severe cystic acne and had several cysts that had to be injected with cortisone. Some went down, but I do have one on my lower chin that is left with a large raised scar (well large to me). Once I had started on the accutane, the cystic acne stopped.
I have asked several of my derms if there is anything I can do for it, and they all gave me the same "it will leave a scar and will be just as noticeable" remark so I left it be.
Guess I will bring out my dermaroller for it and see if that helps. I also tried peels, tca and glycolic but that didn't help. I wonder if retin-a on the spot would help?
If I ever go under or have any plastic surgery I might ask them to remove it then.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:38 am      Reply with quote
Dermarolling didn't do diddly for mine. Sad

AnnieR wrote:
Twenty-five years ago, I had severe cystic acne and had several cysts that had to be injected with cortisone. Some went down, but I do have one on my lower chin that is left with a large raised scar (well large to me). Once I had started on the accutane, the cystic acne stopped.
I have asked several of my derms if there is anything I can do for it, and they all gave me the same "it will leave a scar and will be just as noticeable" remark so I left it be.
Guess I will bring out my dermaroller for it and see if that helps. I also tried peels, tca and glycolic but that didn't help. I wonder if retin-a on the spot would help?
If I ever go under or have any plastic surgery I might ask them to remove it then.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |