Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Just a rant about skincare
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
It is fun to research, buy and use new products, but do you ever get sick of getting up extra early in the morning to cleanse, wait x mins, applying AHA/BHA, wait x mins, and go over this step again and again for makeup, sunscreen, spot treatment creams, eye cream etc etc?

Has anyone with acne tried going cold turkey- Just gentle cleanser and moisturiser, no spot creams, BHA, aspirin mask and other acne treatments?

I mean I dont have the courage to do that. Even though I am not that happy with my regime, I am frightened that if I skip a step, I will breakout REALLY BADLY ontop of the acne that I already have!

It makes me think that, if I hadnt known certain things about acne, would I be buying so many acne products Question
Is it "bad" to be knowledgable sometimes?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi yeahyeah, I'm acne-prone. I suffer with clogged pores very easily as my skin is quite oily. I went through a period of using aha/bha and even got a topical acne prescription to use from my doctors. I found that with aha/bha my skin was very dehydrated and with the prescription, I was also dehydrated and sensitive. I started using Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser, multi-active toner, skin hydrating booster (in the winter) and sheer tint moisturiser, once or twice a week I use skin prep scrub and skin refining mask, and now that is all I use (which is still quite a lot, but definately less time consuming). I feel the same way as you do about the long procedure of some of these skincare products. With the routine I now have, my skin is clear and the procedure is much less time consuming. Also, none of these products are for acne prone skin, but I think that in my experience, the acne-prone skincare is very irritating for my skin Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Laughing I laughed when I saw this post yeahyeah! Very Happy Sometimes I do miss the good old days when I would just clean, tone and apply makeup. But during those good old days I HAD to wear makeup to cover all my whiteheads, blackheads and skin looked like blechh!

I've been doing multiple steps in skincare for years now it's become a habit. It's actually quite relaxing for me, but during the days I commute to the office [thankfully only twice a week] I skip some steps because I don't have the time to wait. At the very least, I'll apply Vit C serum after cleanse/tone and hold off on the AHA/BHA until PM routine. About once a week I'll take a break from it all and limit my morning routine to cleanse/EpiII scrub and tone.

I agree that sometimes too much knowledge can lead to overanalysis and unnecessary angst but wouldn't have it any other way. Ah, the price of freedom and choice! Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:14 am      Reply with quote
yeahyeah-would you be willing to change your routine to something a little less time consuming? I ask because I have my acne under control and am extremely reluctant to change anything so I do not know if you are at the point where you would be willing to consider a change.

If you are willing to consider a change then you may want to consider adding a retinoid like RetinA or Tazorac. There is a good possiblilty that a retinoid would allow you to eliminate all your acids and other forms or exfoliation. There could be other options too but maybe thinking in terms of streamlining your routine instead of "going cold turkey" would work well for you.

BTW I have thought about the cold turkey thing but could never work up the courage to try it! Wink

To me it is better to be informed about skincare. I think that the more knowledgable one becomes about skincare the less likely they will be to waste their time and money on things that do not work or that might be counterproductive. So knowledge can be a good thing.
Bunny7475
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:34 am      Reply with quote
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm so jealous of people who can just use 2-3 products and be done w/ it. And I feel literally sick to my stomach when I start thinking about how much $$$ I've spent (mostly on acne products) through the years. Thousands! And I'm only 31.

I've pared it down to about 6 products right now. Still probably too much but like others have said, my acne is sort of under control and I'm afraid to change anything. There have been so many times I've just wanted to chuck everything out the window but my Cetaphil and sunscreen. I've been using Retin-A for a while now so hopefully that will help me eliminate a few steps.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your contribution...

Last month, I only had 3-4 pimples even TTOM. I didnt use that many products on my face either and my morning routine was so simple and FAST so I was really happy...but this month Shock Shock Shock...maybe its my diet...I dont know Rolling Eyes

Definately agree that when I think of the amount of money I spend on my face...I feel guilty cos I could save that money every month to go towards paying back my student loan! But the more I go searching for products for "smooth skin" , "fading acne scars", "elimating acne", "make pores appear smaller" etc and read the ingredients, do searches on EDS and other skincare boards to increase my knowledge of the product and the brand. I get fascinated but end up mostly in disappointment cos a)doesnt work b)takes up all my time c)price.
However, good thing with having this little bit of knowledge about skincare and beauty is that I can sometimes end up NOT buying the stuff due to its ingredients or reputation of the brand/product!

I'm hoping that we can ALL achieve the much desired "perfect skin" and of course with little maintenance!

BTW h.kitty- Im already using a retinoid (Differin gel) but I will be going to the doctors when I break up for Xmas holidays to ask for an alternative treatment

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
omg i agree with this post completely!!!
i miss the days when all i needed to keep my skin nice was cleanser!
now i have a bajillion cleansers, exfoliants, creams, treatments, serums, etc Sad all just to try to get my face back to looking the way it did before! damn hormones!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
I do have a routine and I don't think I could shorten it up at all. They are all essentials and it the basic essentials don't work, then I would go see a dermotologist.
I had to add a prescription to me routine and my skin did improve.
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
I tend to save all the blobs and globs for night time. In the morning I cleanse (in the shower +/- dermalogica microfoliant), tone, moisturize, eye cream then sunscreen +/- foundation and concealer. Abit of eyeliner and lippy, hair then gone! Don't look at a mirror again until come home from work about 130/2 o'clock. I couldn't cope if I had to do more than that.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
hi yeahyeah,

just wanted to sympathize with you. i don't have acne prone skin anymore, but during my teen years, it was bad! i just remember using whatever over the counter product that seemed promising as a teen, and being disappointed over and over again. i am sure my skin has damage from that era too. i really think it's great that a lot of information is available now.

i actually enjoy my daily skin care ritual, so maybe if you start seeing it as fun, it'll help?

sorry i am no help though!

Kris

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
I used to juggle more products, but since coming off of Obagi, I'm trying to keep it more simple. Although it's still layering a few products morning and night after cleansing (AM: BHA spot treat, Vit C Serum, Moisturizer SPF, eye cream / PM: Serum or Retinol, moisturizer, eye cream, and a few times a week: Obagi Clear and exfoliant).

So far it seems to be working for me, but I'm worried now that I'm starting to spend more time on here again that I'll get sidetracked by the latest rave and start to have too many products to juggle again!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |