Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I need help ladies!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Becz21
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I need some advice ladies!!

I'm want to experiment with some different brands of makeup as i really am board with the current cosmetics i use (BE, Philosophy, YSL, Laura Geller)!!. I have read so much in magazines about the following brands and they seem to be used a lot by celebrities:

NARS
Laura Mercier
Bobbie Brown
MAC
Stila

Please can you tell me if you use any products from these ranges and what they are?

Also what colours etc you would recommend for a light/Medium skin tone with yellow undertones, green eyes and chestnut colour hair?

I would be looking for:

A Face Primer
Eye Primer
Foundation (not a lover of liquid but would try a tinted or balm)
Concealer
Eyeshadows
Mascara
Lipstick
Lipgloss
Eyeliner
Blush
Highlighter
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I have pale skin, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help for colour recommendations, but I can let you know some brands and products I love:

Foundation - SK-II Airtouch Spray Foundation (an absolute miracle and so easy to use)

Eyeshadows - MAC, definitely. I love Paint pots and Paint tubes for staying power and colours. You can also apply some MAC powder shadow on top. The Paint tubes and pots can also act as a primer in neutral colours.

Mascara - Dr Hauschka for great, natural ingredients that offer staying power and don't make your lashes feel dry or brittle.

Lipstick - Julie Hewett does some fab lipsticks, but I'm now an addict of Victor Longo's Lip & Cheek Stains. Great staying power.

Lipgloss - Stila's Lipglaze is beautiful.

Eyeliner - MAC Fluidlines. Fantastic range of colours, brilliant staying power and can also be used as eyeshadow.

Blush - Stila Rouge Pots. Easy to apply and give a lovely, natural look.
Seaera
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
I have tried lots of MAC and Stila. As for recs for the products you're asking for, I'd recommend:

A Face Primer: Can't be of help for this.
Eye Primer: Try MAC Paints.
Foundation (not a lover of liquid but would try a tinted or balm): I've heard Laura Mercier has fabulous foundation but haven't tried it personally
Concealer: Ditto on the Laura Mercier
Eyeshadows: Love both MAC and Stila. MAC's eyeshadow is more pigmented though. The Stila is more of a natural look (for me anyways)
Mascara: I use drugstore mascara...so no recs here.
Lipstick: MAC has fabulous lipstick and a huge range of colors
Lipgloss: MAC again...tons of fun colors.
Eyeliner: I use shadow for liner and love Stila and MAC
Blush: Love Stila's convertible color
Highlighter: Heard great things about NARS multiples but haven't tried yet. MAC has recently come out with loose beauty powders which would be great as highlighters as well.

I hope that helps! Smile
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
I used to love and use Laura Merciers primer and make up but since I discovered Smashbox I am totally addicted its the best I have ever tried and the primer closes pores and has spf 15
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
I have pale skin, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help for colour recommendations, but I can let you know some brands and products I love:

Foundation - SK-II Airtouch Spray Foundation (an absolute miracle and so easy to use)

Eyeshadows - MAC, definitely. I love Paint pots and Paint tubes for staying power and colours. You can also apply some MAC powder shadow on top. The Paint tubes and pots can also act as a primer in neutral colours.

Mascara - Dr Hauschka for great, natural ingredients that offer staying power and don't make your lashes feel dry or brittle.

Lipstick - Julie Hewett does some fab lipsticks, but I'm now an addict of Victor Longo's Lip & Cheek Stains. Great staying power.

Lipgloss - Stila's Lipglaze is beautiful.

Eyeliner - MAC Fluidlines. Fantastic range of colours, brilliant staying power and can also be used as eyeshadow.

Blush - Stila Rouge Pots. Easy to apply and give a lovely, natural look.

majorB?
Tell me about the SK II. I've always been curious and foundations are my weak spot. I have visions of having it everywhere but my face. Does it appear matte? That's my pet peeve, matte foundations.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
BluesHeart wrote:
majorB?
Tell me about the SK II. I've always been curious and foundations are my weak spot. I have visions of having it everywhere but my face. Does it appear matte? That's my pet peeve, matte foundations.

You actually wear your powder underneath and that, I think, gives the perfect finish. Not too shiny, not too matte, just right.

You don't need to protect your clothes or hair either. The charged particles only adhere to moist surfaces, such as skin, so it just doesn't go onto your clothes. I know this sounds amazing, but it really, really does work like this!

Anyway, here's a review I wrote a while ago that might help, but if you have any more questions about it, just let me know and I'll try my best to help:

I'd read all of the advertising blurb about SKII Air Touch Foundation - and decided it was all a load of utter tosh. My previous foray into spray foundation was with Era, which is a nice product, but had several major faults as far as I was concerned: messy, wasteful, coverage not so perfect as it's supposed to be and shiny finish. I really couldn't see how this could possibly be much different, except perhaps for the fancy packaging.

Then I read Blacklace's and stellamaris' reviews earlier in this thread. Now whilst I tend not to trust advertising hype, I do have a lot of faith in the opinions of the people here.

So, at the weekend, I just so happened to find myself in Harrods, London. And whilst in Harrods, I just so happened to find myself right slap bang next to the SKII counter. How could I resist giving it a whirl? Not that I was actually going to buy the thing, oh dearie me no.

The lady explained to me about applying most of your makeup beforehand, except for mascara and lipstick. I stifled my pitying laughter at her crazy talk, but let her go ahead and spray me anyway.

I was instructed to close my eyes. Apparently, the charged particles only stick to moisture, hence the fact that it doesn't coat your hair or eyebrows, but your eyeballs would probably end up coated and looking a wee bit weird. I decided that I didn't want to look weird(er), so kept my eyes tight shut. All I could feel were gentle little pffts as she slowly moved the spray from side to side, gradually moving down the length of my face. (For smooth coverage, you need to keep the sprayer at a distance of 10cm from your face.)

When I first looked in the mirror, I immediately thought that she had only been making little pfft noises and hadn't actually bothered to spray anything onto my skin. (These sales assistants can have quite a sense of humour, you know.) Then I realised that something was different, after all. My skin looked flawless.

As stellamaris wrote, my pores looked softer and less noticeable, and there was no sign of any blotchiness or blemishes. Even the dark circles under my eyes looked dramatically improved. Yet I couldn't see any foundation on my skin. I've never seen anything quite like this in my life.

Before I knew it, I found myself squealing, "Ooooooooh, oooooooh! I'll take one, please!!!!"

Next day, I thought I'd try it for myself. Still wasn't convinced how I'd manage with having to keep my eyes shut, though. However, it turned out to be exceedingly easy. I did it perfectly first time.

Not only does this give a beautifully smooth, light as air finish, it's also easy to use, fast and doesn't involve any mess.

One thing I did discover, quite by accident, was that applying mascara first instead of last worked fine for me. Lipstick definitely does need to go on last, though.

My "face" stayed in place all day long.

I can honestly see a day when we'll chuckle at the foolish olden times when we used to have to use those old-fangled bottles and tubes of foundation. Oh, how we'll laugh. I also wouldn't be surprised if more manufacturers developed similar products, with the idea eventually filtering down into cheaper brands.

I've seen the future of foundation - and I blummin' well like it!
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I just peeked at the Saks site for the SK. The colors have me concerned so I'll have to take a trip to Saks and check it out in person. Thank you so much, great review.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
My recommendations are:

A Face Primer - LM
Eye Primer - LM
Foundation - BB
Concealer - BB
Eyeshadows - I like Japanese brands such as Shiseido/ Shumura. They offer a wide range of beautiful colors
Mascara - Helena Rubinstein
Lipstick - Shiseido
Lipgloss - BB/ Shiseido
Eyeliner - Shiseido
Blush - BB
Highlighter - BB

(LM - Laura Mercier, BB - Bobbi Brown)
Sangria1269
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Smashbox has the best primer, hands down. I also tried Bare Essentials as well as Laura Mercier. I love Smashbox because it dissolves immediately on your skin.

I do not recommend using foundation if you are going for the natural look. Usually a bit of concealer will do the job.

A Face Primer: Smashbox definitely, I like it better than Laura Mercier
Eye primer: What is this? isn`t the face primer also for eyes?
Foundation: MAC, the only one I would use
Concealer: Amazing concealer: lasts forever....u only need a small dab
Eyeshadows:MAC
Lipstick: Helena Rubenstein, Chanel
Lipgloss: Nars, Too Faced Extreme
Eyeliner: MAC, Dior
Blush: Nars orgasm, or Tarte`s cheek stain
Highlighter: Benefit`s flamingo or hollywood glo
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:23 am      Reply with quote
BluesHeart wrote:
I just peeked at the Saks site for the SK. The colors have me concerned so I'll have to take a trip to Saks and check it out in person. Thank you so much, great review.

You're very welcome. And it's definitely a good idea to try the colours in person.
kez
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there, i have used a few items from your list. The ones i like are

Stila Lipglaze

Stila tinted moisturizer in medium, this gives me a nice healthy complexion, though i still use a moisturizer underneath.

Laura Mercier mineral foundation(there is a huge thread on this.)

Stila eyeshadows kitten and twig

Chanel teint innocence foundation
Becz21
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!!

Thank you for your responses, i just wondered if anyone has tried the BB moisture tint balm and if so whats it like?

I don't like liquid foundation much but a tint sounds good.

Also just wondered for those of you that use LM, what shade would i be in either the tinted moisturiser or the mineral makeup?

The reason i ask is that there are no counters near to where i live in the UK and we cant get a refund if we order a product on-line and it is the wrong shade etc!!

Also is the LM range good? (lipgloss, eye colours, primer etc.)
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I use MAC primer. Comes with SPF 50. Very nice, blends easliy and quickly.
bamboo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely use Stila for lipgloss... Others, I'm not so sure. But I'm not a great fan for MAC's mascaras though Sad
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:34 am      Reply with quote
bamboo wrote:
Definitely use Stila for lipgloss... Others, I'm not so sure. But I'm not a great fan for MAC's mascaras though Sad
I agree! Love MAC eyeshadow and liner but the mascara is no better than a drugstore brand.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |