Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Too much Biotin or MSM?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have started to take Biotin and MSM to see if it helps my hair get thicker. Im just wondering how much I should be taking to see results. As of now Im taking 4 grams of MSM and 2500 mcg of Biotin daily, plus Vitamin E,Vitamin C,a multivitamin and fish oil. Any suggestions as far as dosage goes for the MSM and Biotin? Is there such a thing as taking too much of these?
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi angelwings - Once I began a regular routine of taking MSM daily, I noticed that my hair and nails were growing faster within the first 3-6 weeks. Keep in mind that my nails and hair typically grow on the slow side, so I was happy to see any positive results within a 4 week period. I really don't know if there is a cap on how much Biotin you can take, but I can share what I know about MSM and dosage levels. From what I have read you really cannot take too much. I personally take 4 to 5 grams a day and would not hesitate to up the dose to 7 or 8 grams should I ever require additional joint relief benefits, etc.

Not all MSM products are created equally and the quality does differ a great deal from brand to brand. I originally started with MSM tablets until I realized that they contained a lot of fillers, which would explain why I wasn't noticing any perceivable improvements. Once I switched to water soluble crystalline powder, I noticed a HUGE difference! The brand I've been using since the summer is called Flora and the bottle contains 300 grams of MSM (so it lasts a good long time!). It also clearly says 'no fillers' right on the label. HTH's a little. Smile

Edited to add: I also take Greens+ Powder, Proteins+ Powder, Vit C, daily Multi, and Omega 3 Fish Oil (liquid).

pcnetwrx wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:

Hi, thank you for your informative post. I was just wondering if there's a limit as to how many grams one can take per day. I am currently taking 2 g in the morning, and 2 g in the evening. I also take it with Vit C each time, and was wondering if I can just take one of the times with Vit C and the other time without.

Do you know if there's any correlation between taking MSM and helping someone to quit or reduce the alcohol consumption? I saw someone posted this on another forum. Have you heard of this before?

You can take quite a bit more than 4 grams a day. I personally take about 8 grams a day and my wife, who is half my weight, takes about 20 grams a day and has been at that amount or more, both of us for the past 10 years or so. The vitamin C does not need to be taken every time you take the MSM. If you start taking more MSM, you may want to take more in the morning than in the evening--it does not have to be equal amounts.

The only thing I have heard about MSM and alcohol consumption is an unverified statement that someone reported feeling the effects of the alcohol faster and by drinking less. That same person felt it was helping him in his decision to cut down and that he had less of a craving for it. But I don't know how much can be inferred on the basis of one report.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know about biotin, but I remember an indepth discussion on EDS about the need to gradually increase the dose of MSM. The discussion was in the lounge about a year ago. The consensus seemed to be that MSM helps with detox of the body, but if you take too much MSM too fast, you will rapidly release more toxins than your body can process and you will get headaches and other hangover-like symptoms as a result.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:42 am      Reply with quote
Gosh, I forgot all about this, Jeannine, but this is definitely something to keep in mind when you're altering your dosage. Too much MSM introduced to a body that's never tried it before can cause some intense (but temporary) detox symptoms! The nasty feelings are actually the die-off from toxins (which may include the elimination of parasites in your GI track). When I first began taking MSM (1 gram), I had terrible die-off symptoms for the first 7-10 days. But by the end of the second week everything stopped and I've never looked back! I can increase the dosage without any difficulties now. Thanks for reminding everyone that there are potential side-effects when you first start taking MSM, and to increase your dosage slowly in the beginning. wave

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to you both. As of now I am taking MSM capsules that I bought from GNC. I wonder if it has a lot of fillers. Confused The bottle is at home, but will it say on the label if it has fillers or not? I have noticed my nails improving; they are whiter and stronger and its only been about a week! This gives me hope for my thin hair. Very Happy Im interested in the powder form of MSM...where do you purchase it?
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Also, ScotsLass, what is Greens+Powder? (Im assuming Protein+Powder is protein powder mixed with a drink) And do you take Vitamin C in a capsule form, or also as a powder? Thanks for all your help!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
I always refer to this link when I have questions about dosages.

http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2461007.html#V

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that sharing that link with us, Yen! Think I'll go take a peek at it right now! Smile
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:
Thanks to you both. As of now I am taking MSM capsules that I bought from GNC. I wonder if it has a lot of fillers. Confused The bottle is at home, but will it say on the label if it has fillers or not? I have noticed my nails improving; they are whiter and stronger and its only been about a week! This gives me hope for my thin hair. Very Happy Im interested in the powder form of MSM...where do you purchase it?

Hi there - my bottle of MSM crystalline powder says right on the label that there are "no fillers" (I'm using a brand called "Flora"). I can't comment on GNC's capsules as I've never used them, but if you are happy and see results this quickly, they can't be half bad!Wink Here is one out of many links for MSM powders that look worthwhile -www.msmpure.com. Take some time to perform a search of the EDS database (enter 'msm powder') and you will retrieve a lot of good info and links to products that others have tried. I purchased my own MSM crystal powder from a local health food store. HTH's....

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:
Also, ScotsLass, what is Greens+Powder? (Im assuming Protein+Powder is protein powder mixed with a drink) And do you take Vitamin C in a capsule form, or also as a powder? Thanks for all your help!

Hi again - Greens+ is made by a company in Toronto called Genuine Health. In a nutshell, this stuff is an AMAZING supplement that I simply LOVE for a multitude of reasons, which is why I take it every day! Below you'll find some background info from the Genuine Health website that explains all of the wonderful benefits of this product. If you live in the US or outside of Canada, the only place that I know of to buy this exact product (and formulation) is through an online store called Feel Good Natural -www.feelgoodnatural.com/search. Due to distribution rights that were created several years ago between Genuine Health and another company in the States, they cannot ship their Greens+ product outside of Canada. To learn more, read this link as I discussed the details of this arrangement earlier in the year -www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=282611&highlight=greens+distribution#282611

The Proteins+ powder I use (and love! Wink ) is also made by Genuine Health. I either dissolve the powder in water or in lactose-free milk - both work and taste equally nice. I also add the greens+, MSM powder, and Vitamin C powder to the proteins+ drink and start each day with this powerhouse concoction!

Quote:
Greens+ by Genuine Health
Achieve more energy for work and play from the original, research-proven and healthy source!

greens+ contains a perfect balance of 23 essential ingredients - encompassing a variety of 18 natural colours, phytonutrients and fibre - which combined, make it the ideal natural whole food supplement.

Why go greens+?

Quite simply, greens+ will make you feel better. And when you feel better you can live a more vibrant, energetic life. We know it works, greens+ has substantial clinical research conducted by a pharmacist from the University of Toronto proving its results, along with tremendous, positive feedback from greens+ users, who consistently report an increase in their energy levels and overall sense of well being.

Gram for gram, only greens+ has:
6 times more Calcium than broccoli
2.5 times more Magnesium than spinach
3 times more Folic Acid than orange juice
4 times more Vitamin A than tomato juice
7 times more fibre than cooked oatmeal
…and more!

greens+ is proven successful!

greens+ is research-proven to provide:

*Increased energy and improved overall well being - guaranteed*

*Energy-enhancing ingredients such as bee pollen, royal jelly and licorice, without any added sugar, artificial sweeteners or salt

*Highest Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity (ORAC)reduction - a measure of antioxidant ability for anti-aging support (greens+ contains both fat & water soluble antioxidants).

*Bone support through the production of osteoblasts**

*Antioxidant equivalent of 6 servings of organic fruits and vegetables

*Highest Potential Renal Acid Load (PRAL) - a measure of alkalinity (a more alkaline body = a healthier body)

*100% standardized herbal extracts to guarantee optimum levels of active ingredients and to ensure consistent results.***

----------------------------------------------

*As found in a clinical, double-blind, placebo-controlled study conducted by a pharmacist from the University of Toronto and published in the Canadian Journal of Dietetics Practice and Research.

**The findings from the University of Toronto suggest that greens+ may be used effectively in the management of osteoporosis.

***Standardized Extract: Why is this important and generally considered the best? The amount of active ingredients in unstandardized herbs can vary as much as 50-90% depending on factors such as climate, soil conditions, genetic potential of the seeds time and conditions of harvest transformation methods and storage. Standardized extracts are the most effective, due to their premium quality and consistent results.

Recognized as the original and most award-winning supplement in North America, it’s no wonder that greens+ is chosen by more Canadians than any other green food product of its kind.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Angelwings...you have to take Biotin with other B complex for it to be assimilated. It will not "take" on its own.

Vitamin H (Biotin) - This vitamin is a B vitamin but is a very important hair loss vitamin. Lack of this vitamin shows up as thinning hair and loss of hair. So it should be on the top of your list to supplement with it. However it should be used and taken with the other B vitamins so to get the best absorption. Use around 300 mcg and if the B100 do not have enough biotin, you may have to supplement with biotin separately

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:15 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Angelwings...you have to take Biotin with other B complex for it to be assimilated. It will not "take" on its own.

Vitamin H (Biotin) - This vitamin is a B vitamin but is a very important hair loss vitamin. Lack of this vitamin shows up as thinning hair and loss of hair. So it should be on the top of your list to supplement with it. However it should be used and taken with the other B vitamins so to get the best absorption. Use around 300 mcg and if the B100 do not have enough biotin, you may have to supplement with biotin separately

Very interesting, mountaingirl. I never knew that.
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Wow. A wealth of information. I love this forum! lol. I was told by a GNC employee that my multivitamin was packed with B vitamins and that it wasnt necessary to buy the B-Complex vitamin that I had in the checkout line. (I believed him seeing as he doesnt really benefit by telling me to buy less stuff.) But I had heard that you need to take plenty of B vitamins in order for the biotin to take effect. In fact I think I read on another thread that the B5 vitamin is really key in helping the biotin along. (Which my multivitamin does not contain, of course Rolling Eyes ) So I might have to invest in some B5 to get things going.

ScotsLass, thanks for the info on the greens powder and the msm (which I will be purchasing as soon as my capsules run out!) I could definately use more energy and all the vitamins I can get!
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
my guy friend is going to bald, do u think biotin is safe for guy to take?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
It's perfectly safe for anyone to take Biotin (no contraindications at all.) I hate to say this, but I don't think Biotin will help a balding man. That is a whole 'nother issue. Rolling Eyes

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
fishzebby wrote:
my guy friend is going to bald, do u think biotin is safe for guy to take?

If you type Biotin in a search engine you will find some sites/forums where men are taking biotin to help with balding issues. When I looked it up on yahoo it listed some forums where men were talking about this exact thing. Apparently they have been using Biotin as a remedy for hair loss for years. Im not sure about its effectiveness rate, but it wouldnt hurt for your friend to check it out. Smile
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking 1500 mg of MSM for a month now. My acne has cleared up, my skin is smoother, and my hair is growing like a weed!
Eyes_green
5% products discount

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies,

I have been taking Healthy Hair and Skin vitamins, by Irwin Naturals for almost 2 month. Formula contains 3mg of Biotin in each capsule, plus many other things, but NO other B vitamins included. Does that mean that 3 mg of Biotin (which is a LOT compare that other multi-vitamins usually have no more than 500mcg) - is really not working and not effective? If so, why such reputable company like Irwin Naturals would create a formula with so much Biotin, knowing that they must include other B-group in order for it to take effect??
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
Eyes_green wrote:
Ladies,

I have been taking Healthy Hair and Skin vitamins, by Irwin Naturals for almost 2 month. Formula contains 3mg of Biotin in each capsule, plus many other things, but NO other B vitamins included. Does that mean that 3 mg of Biotin (which is a LOT compare that other multi-vitamins usually have no more than 500mcg) - is really not working and not effective? If so, why such reputable company like Irwin Naturals would create a formula with so much Biotin, knowing that they must include other B-group in order for it to take effect??

Do you notice a change in your hair and nails? If so then the Biotin is working for you without the extra vitamin B supplement. I would be interested in hearing if the vitamin is working for you. And yes, 3mg is a lot of Biotin!
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:01 am      Reply with quote
divalovesmusic wrote:
I've been taking 1500 mg of MSM for a month now. My acne has cleared up, my skin is smoother, and my hair is growing like a weed!

Thats wonderful! I was thinking about recommending this to my sister who has acne. Now I have to tell her for sure!
archdunk

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:22 am      Reply with quote
have any of you guys heard of irwin naturals immuno shield? is it the same thing? i was asking about it and they say it can be an alternative.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |