Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vacuum Recommendations?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have a vacuum that they love? I have been looking at them recently since mine may have to be replaced. I inherited the one I currently have, so I know nothing about buying a vacuum. I like the Oreck Ultra Xl since it is supposed to help with mildew and I am a total germ freak. Anyone have any advice on buying or recommendations?
kez
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
I love my dyson vacuum. I originally purchased the basic one which was fantastic and i have since updated and bought the one with hepa and bactisafe. When i used it for the first time i was horrified at what it picked up in dirt/dust etc. The only downside is that you cant blow air out. HTH
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
I too LOVE my Dyson. I have had mine for several years - I have the motorhead with hepa filter (purple one) and it has been fabulous. Also their customer service is fantastic. Definitely worth every penny that you spend on it. My kids have allergies and my husband has asthma. The Dyson has definitely made a significant difference to their symptoms.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Definitely Dyson. The best vacuum cleaner ever made and worth every cent.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great input, ladies! I am going to try to test drive a few. I believe you can take "the Oreck challenge" at their stores and try out both their vacuums and the Dyson to see which one you like best. Even if you don't buy their vacuum they give you a free cordless iron just for taking the challenge. I figure I've got nothing to lose!
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Dyson is good. Recently I tried the Proteam Quiet Pro. It's expensive but really good if you do a lot of vacuuming.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
I love my Dyson! I have the DC14 (I think) ... it's the purple "animal" version with extra attachments. This vacuum is the only thing that will take the cat hair off our sofa (at least it's done the best job) and it also works extremely well on the carpets, etc. LOVE it! Plus, it's fairly light weight and handles like a dream! Smile
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Another thumbs-up for Dyson. I purchased the Dyson DC14 Animal (purple one) about a year ago and could not be happier. I bought it to replace my Hoover Wind-tunnel. The Dyson is far superior to the Hoover.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:42 am      Reply with quote
I had to send my Dyson back. It was so heavy to use that I tore ligaments in my torso and could hardly move for several weeks. So I'd advise anyone with back problems to be wary. Mind you, I think they've recently come out with a lighter weight version.

I ended up with an Oreck, which is so much lighter and easier for me to use.
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that majorb - I'm not very tall and have a smallish frame - my Dyson is a barrell vacuum and just follows me everywhere without much effort and the motorhead is a real advantage - you don't have to push hard at all. Admittedly I used another model at work today and found that I did have to push it quite hard - the motorhead is by far easier to "drive", costs considerably more, but worth it.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:23 am      Reply with quote
peppy - what's the motorhead? I haven't come across that before - other than the band! Laughing

Sometime in the next few years, we may have to replace our vacuum cleaner, so that might be worth looking into.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I luv luv luv the Oreck. Slim, lightweight (8 lbs), yearly tune up included, attachments vacuum, 2 speed. This was my first upscale vac after years of reading Consumer Reports and buying Hoovers, etc. By FAR the best - you just can't beat the lightness and "store-ability" (I just made that word up Wink ) and ease of use. It's more powerful than any other vac that I've had. My kids can even use it!

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I have been using a Kirby for 10 years. It is a work horse. It has not lost any suction over the years. The Kirby is heavy but has auto drive so I can easily push it. This machine has served me well. Smile

When I need a new vac I plan on trying the Dyson. I want a machine that requires no bags.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have a Dyson and love how it works. But, like MajorB states there are some issues.

#1 - weight, this sucker is heavy for an upright vacuum. Which wouldn't be an issue, but...

#2 - it's not self-propelled. Be prepared to get a workout.

#3 - it's loud in comparison to other vacuums I've owned over the years.

#4 - accessories are nicely placed & attached, but not the easiest to manuever with.

#5 - my 6 yr olds biggest complaint - it likes to eat Army guys... lol

Overall it is an amazing machine. It works VERY well, easy to clean & store. But, the above issues are something I think you may like to consider before plunking down $200-300 for the machine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
majorb, the motorhead is a motorized brush-head at the end. I was googling the site and the newest model is the DC21 motorhead (mine is the DC05 motorhead). The brush moves when you turn it on, even when you don't move it. As you push it along the carpet it just glides along the ground. The other bonus is that you don't have to change over to a hard floor tool as the brush head changes over automatically with the flick of a switch near your hand. There is nothing to switch (I hate changing parts) and there is no force needed to push it along. I haven't used the upright model before so can't comment on the weight. We have always ahd a barrel style vacuum - our stairs are carpetted and I also find uprighhts too heavy. You might want to check it out when you next repurchase. I will always get this type of Dyson.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:40 am      Reply with quote
peppy wrote:
majorb, the motorhead is a motorized brush-head at the end. I was googling the site and the newest model is the DC21 motorhead (mine is the DC05 motorhead). The brush moves when you turn it on, even when you don't move it. As you push it along the carpet it just glides along the ground. The other bonus is that you don't have to change over to a hard floor tool as the brush head changes over automatically with the flick of a switch near your hand. There is nothing to switch (I hate changing parts) and there is no force needed to push it along. I haven't used the upright model before so can't comment on the weight. We have always ahd a barrel style vacuum - our stairs are carpetted and I also find uprighhts too heavy. You might want to check it out when you next repurchase. I will always get this type of Dyson.

Ah, it's not an upright. Thanks for explaining to me, peppy. Unfortunately, I think the way you move with a cylinder/barrel cleaner is bad for my back. I need to stay more upright and keep my spine straight. It does sound better than the usual ones, though.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Winnie, glad to know that somebody is still using a Kirby. My dad sold those door to door in the 1950's and 60's. Around thirty years ago, I bought a used reconditioned one for 50 dollars, and I suspect it'll last forever. They built them like tanks--in fact, the original guarantee was that if for whatever reason they stopped working, you could send it back to the factory and get it completely overhauled for free. My dad had a customer whose Kirby was salvaged from their house fire--they sent in the burned hulk and got a brand new one!

I can't say I'd recommend one today. True, they probably have the best pick-up of any vacuum (and they do upholstery, mattresses, shampoo carpets, etc.) But they're heavy as all get out (like I said, built like a tank) and a new one is crazy-expensive. Almost as much as I spend on skincare...
jilllpa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
What about a Kenmore from sears? rated # 1 in Consumer Reports. I bought the Quick Clean Model without all the extras and it does really make cleaning a pleasure. Comes with many attachments, and a retractable cord. It is not bagless, I did not have to want to deal with emptying a container.
I have used a Dyson, and the suction on my kenmore is much better.
peppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I have never heard of Kenmore. Is that available in Australia?
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I used to have a Dyson.......and then i had a Henry and now i have a Miele which i am very pleased with..........no matter how much i bash it about ( i have had it more than 2 years).....it never stops giving excellent results.............

I think if my Miele every went bust....then i would definately buy a Miele again........saying that i have read great reviews from the Dyson on Which magazine.......the one that is good for cat and dog hair removal..........from carpets...

When i log onto my Which ........i'll see if they have done a recent review on vaccums and tell you the top 3

Regards

Karina
jilllpa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Kenmore is a Sears, and K-mart brand. I don't know if the sell outside the US. Maybe try Ebay, it would be worth it.
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:03 am      Reply with quote
I like all of the recommendations about the Oreck being light. I have light colored carpet, so I have to vacuum often and lugging something heavy in and out of the closet and then across the floor several times a week is not appealing!
ddang
5% products discount

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
The Oreck seems almost too good to be true. Does it really do an excellent job picking up dirt/dust? I don't have have any pets but I'm a tad obsessed with keeping the floors clean hehe. I'm looking for a vacuum that can go on hardwood and carpet and do a good job without breaking my wallet (I'm a student). I would take the vacuum from my parents' house but that would leave them with a broom. Suggestions anyone?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
ddang wrote:
The Oreck seems almost too good to be true. Does it really do an excellent job picking up dirt/dust? I don't have have any pets but I'm a tad obsessed with keeping the floors clean hehe. I'm looking for a vacuum that can go on hardwood and carpet and do a good job without breaking my wallet (I'm a student). I would take the vacuum from my parents' house but that would leave them with a broom. Suggestions anyone?

I've never tried the Oreck on wood, but it works well on tiled surfaces. Also, it's pretty good at picking up dirt, I think. Sometimes, during the moulting season when there is a huge amount of cat fur on the carpets, it does take a few goings-over to pick it all up, though.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:21 am      Reply with quote
I love my Dyson. My son, who is 21, loved mine so much he bought the one with the extra filters for pets as he has 3 dogs who shed horribly! I never would have spent so much for a vacum, but my hubby insisted and when I tried it, I was hooked.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |