Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

copper peptides / obagi question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I'm hoping to get some opinions on copper peptides vs. obagi. I'm thrilled with my obagi results, but understand that hydroquinone doesn't actually lighten dark spots, but temporarily "turns off" the pigment, so you have to keep using it or you're back to square one.

I recently started using Skin Biology Protect and Restore on my neck, since I've heard CPs have good results on skin tags. Although the skin tags are still there, my neck feels really nice and smoother than it has in years.

I hear that CPs also help with discoloration, which is why I use the Obagi.

Which do people think is more effective and for what, and can you use them together, or is that an invitation to disaster (i.e. burns). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Nanci from NCN replied: You definitely can use CP with Obagi - in fact it's a combination that I personally think is the best you can do for your skin. I have so many clients using Obagi or Retin-A and then following up with Copper Peptide (after a 20-30 minute wait time) with exceptional results. You can gradually switch over to only CP as well. And they can be alternated. You could even continue to spot treat (no pun intended LOL) with the Obagi on your trouble spots while using CP. CP is also great for hyperpigmentation but I found that the stronger versions of CP are better for that - you would have to work up to them very gradually.

So for all of you Obagi users who have considered incorporated CPs into your routine, here is our answer!
chuck
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:46 am      Reply with quote
Thank you will print you reply ,so I can recall the formula
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the post Margot. I am currently taking a break from CPs while doing Obagi but am planning on reintroducing them once I hit the maintenance phase, so this information is helpful.

The info on hydroquinone has me concerned. This is the first time I've heard that hydroquinone just turns off the melanin temporarily. I knew you had to be extra-diligent with sunscreen to keep new brown spots from forming, but does this mean the brown spots I currently have (I've got three on the lower side of my left cheek that bother me plus lots of regular freckles I've had since I was a kid) are going to come back once I'm done with Obagi, regardless of sunscreen use? I am going to be disappointed if so but I don't want to use hydroquinone daily long-term.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
They will return if you don't keep on maintenance with HQ. I know, it has happened to me! After going through 4 1/2 months on Obagi and having great results, I did not do maintenance for 2 weeks (due to some personal issues). I also used the jan marini sunscreen instead of Dr. Lewinn's and Hello freckles. A lot of them have returned.
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Wow. I didn't realize the same brown spots would come back. I just thought the old brown spots would be gone and with a good sunscreen you could prevent new ones from forming. Do you find that using HQ just a couple times a week during the maintenance phase is enough to keep them from coming back?

And I was using the Jan Marini sunscreen too before Obagi but am still undecided as to what I'm going to use once this is done. Right now I'm using the Obagi one which seems okay but am wanting to find one I really like. I am planning on trying the Devita one since it's supposed to be non-greasy for most days since I'm inside the vast majority of time then the Dr. Lewinn's one you mentioned for days I'm going to be outside more. I know you've mentioned it in other threads but I can't remember - do you find the Dr. Lewinn's leaves a matte finish? I am oily and so turned-off by the greasy finish most sunscreens leave on me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:19 am      Reply with quote
mamawalnut, you may not like the Dr. Lewinn's, but you can try it. It is not very expensive. It is still the best sunscreen I have used for keeping my face "white" and freckles off. It is a thick cream, but absorbs in almost instantly and after a wait of about 10 mintues, it is matte, at least on me. I am using the Devita one right now, and that seems to be keeping more freckles from popping up. I am really loving the Devita s/s but am not sure about how it would do in the hot summer months in FL for me. If I was positive about the SPF factor in this, I would not hesitate, as it is the best "feeling" sunscreen I have ever used!

I have not stuck with obagi for maintenance as I developed several brown nails that I finally figured out were from the HQ. That made me rather uncomfortable, so I did not want to continue with the HQ. If I get very annoyed by my freckles, I possibly would do another 6 weeks on the whole obagi routine, and then use the Dr. Lewinn's sunscreen. I have learned my lesson on s/s and I will stick with what I found works! (Definitely no more jan marini s/s for me)
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your help Rileygirl. I think I am going to try both the Dr. Lewinn's and the Devita sunscreens when I'm done with Obagi. Neither are super-expensive and I would so love to find a sunscreen that I didn't dread using.

As far as maintenance HQ goes, maybe I could continue to apply it to just those three brown spots that bug me on my cheek. I would be okay for some of my regular freckles to come back since I've always had them on my nose, upper cheeks, and forehead, but the larger spots on my lower left cheek bother me more. I'm going to continue to research HQ more and try to figure out exactly what I'm comfortable with once Obagi is done.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome, mamawalnut. You probably won't have the darker areas you are concerned about once you are done with obagi. If you remember where they where (!) you could just spot treat a few times a week. Good luck to you. How much longer on Obagi do you have?
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
I am only four weeks into it so I've got fourteen weeks to go but I am very happy with the results so far. My days of redness and peeling seem to come and go but I can see smoother skin coming through, especially around the mouth area where my peeling is the greatest. And those brown spots are already fading a little.

I saw your before and after pics on another thread and they were awesome. If my improvement is anywhere close to yours I'll be one happy camper. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks mamuwalnut! I am sure you will be extremely happy. Wishing you continued good luck. Obagi is just great!
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
mamawalnut wrote:
Wow. I didn't realize the same brown spots would come back. I just thought the old brown spots would be gone and with a good sunscreen you could prevent new ones from forming.

mamawalnut, this is what made me think about incorporating or eventually switching over to CPs, which seem to pull double duty improving skin texture as well as addressing photodamage. I think I'll probably end up doing a combination of both, as Nanci suggested.
stovetop
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I am just starting Obagi maintenance and am finding my brown spots are returning. Any suggestions for getting rid of them permanently? Has anyone tried the products on cellbone.com for hyperpigmentation?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Margot, I used the copper peptides for 3 months before starting obagi. There was no change in my freckles. I think copper peptides are great, and Nanci is a doll, but be prepared for it to take many, many months for freckles to disappear with copper peptides.

Stovetop, the nurse that I went through while doing obagi did say that some people have to use the blender/RA combination at least 5 times a week, but I was not willing to do that! I have started the NIA 24, so I will report back in a few months if this helps or not. The only other thing that seemed to help was the skinceuticals C, E, F, which did help diminish them along with obagi.
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Margot, I used the copper peptides for 3 months before starting obagi. There was no change in my freckles. I think copper peptides are great, and Nanci is a doll, but be prepared for it to take many, many months for freckles to disappear with copper peptides.

thanks for the heads up! Crying or Very sad darn it, i was hoping to wake up looking as good as she does. ah well. at the risk of sounding irreverent, when I gave my hubby POA for healthcare, I gave him two choices - pull the plug or apply my Obagi Laughing
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
No problem, Margot. I was hoping for the CP's to work also. Some people get results, but it takes a LONG time. Very Happy
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
No problem, Margot. I was hoping for the CP's to work also. Some people get results, but it takes a LONG time. Very Happy

yeah, and a LONG time is what I ain't got, already being in the winter of my life. Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |