Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

review: sofina rise uv spf 50
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:58 am      Reply with quote
now that it's gotten quite cold my skin has been getting really dry, and my usual sofina perfect uv is just too drying for my skin, since it's a great mattifier in summer. i decided to look around for another sunscreen with a bit of moisturizer and after a lot of hemming and hawing settled on sofina's rise uv after i noticed that they've got a new spf 50 one (it's usually spf 23 or 30, i think. i live in northern california, where the winters are chilly but very bright, so i need a higher spf)

rise uv is a light moisturizer and sunscreen in one, and the box says that it's suitable for 25-30 year old skin and older. i'm 24, and figured what's the difference of one year, plus i figure i've got a lot of damage from ignorant beach bunny days. i've been using this spf for several weeks and find that i like it a lot. it's runny but slightly thicker than the milky texture of the perfect uv, and the moisturizer is light and drinks into my skin; you don't need very much, which is good because the container is tiny (30 ml) and quite pricey (i forget off the top of my head, but more than 3000 yen). since my skin is combo it can't tolerate too much moisture but the rise seems to have not too much, not too little- and for the terminally dry patch around my mouth and nose, i just smooth a bit of my night cream. what i like about the rise uv though is that it seems to give my skin an almost satiny texture! my skin feels soft and soothed after smoothing it on. i'm also acne prone and it doesn't seem to be clogging my pores or causing breakouts (i only broke out around my time of the month, but that's normal as my acne is hormonal- if i start breaking out at other times of the month it means a product is breaking me out)- however, i use fancl mild cleansing oil to get the sunscreen off at night.

i know there are a lot of perfect uv fans on this board, so if any of you are looking for a more moisturizing sunscreen, i do recommend this one.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:07 am      Reply with quote
amami aya, do u happen to know the % of Zinc Oxide & Titanium Dioxide in this sunscreen?
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I am in Canada, do you know where I can buy this?
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review amami aya...I have a bottle of this sunscreen but I've yet to use it (I actually have 3 more Sofina ss to try out!).

Hi bugaboo,
You can buy it here:
http://www.beautykat.com/Product/Sofina/so_rise_s1.htm

or from bobodave: http://www.bobodave.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_9_42&products_id=727

I bought mine from HK, but I've purchased from bobodave too and their CS is great...fast shipping, kept me informed, very freindly emails. But only thing is that they dont give out free samples, even when I ordered over $200USD (I'm so used to EDS' orders with free gifts and samples!).

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
So does anyone know the % of Zinc Oxide & Titanium Dioxide on this ss pls?? Thanks. Smile
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
stardusty, i checked the box and all it says is spf 50+ pa+++, and the sofina website doesn't say either; sorry!
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:19 am      Reply with quote
sounds great.....is this a european sunscreen? does it have any chemical ingrediants in it

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:11 am      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
sounds great.....is this a european sunscreen? does it have any chemical ingrediants in it

As far as I know, it's a Japanese product. Not sure about the ingrediants, but the texture of this product is quite nice.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:23 am      Reply with quote
is this like FDA approved or something?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered this and the sunkiller from bobodave so I should be able to report back in a month or so about them.... I have my fingers crossed that they won't make me break out.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
I am always curious for reviews on asian brands. I have heard good things about their sunscreens, and I am glad to read something positive about sofina on EDS.

I found another website that sells this product for $29 +$2 shipping. They ship with signed mail, so it is quite safe:
http://www.adambeauty.com
click Sofina, then click rise, and then the sunscreen...
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:39 am      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
is this like FDA approved or something?

I don't think it's sold in the Americas so no, there wouldn't be an FDA approval...which to me isn't bad considering it's a Japanese product and they are way more strict over there.

Seems like MUA has a huge sofina following, there were a lot of information on someone's notepad on sunscreen and the Sofina brand was mentioned.

If you do a search here on sunscreens, Sofina pops up constantly!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Would like to know if anyone puts this around the eyes since it has moisturizer in it? Is it drying and such? Thanks Smile
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
in japan they dont do fda but there's another institution in place... i forget the name. but i think they're stricter in general than the fda which approves and recalls crap all the time Rolling Eyes

now that it's warming up i've gone back to my sofina perfect uv and use the rise just around my eyes over my eye cream- don't find it drying at all, instead my eyes feel nice and nourished, and as an extra plus it makes a great eyeshadow base (as i use it all around my eyes and up to my browbone)
moonshadow
5% products discount

Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Sofina is my most favourite sunscreen throughout these years. Normally I use SPF24 instead of SPF50.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi amami aya, do u put concealer or foundation under the eyes too? I find that my concealer caked in the undereye areas Sad It looks nice too before concealer. I thought it's supposed to be a nice primer but my concealer doesn't seem to go smoothly on.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I bought both the Sofina Nuance Up and Sunkiller Whitening Water from bobodave a while back. I prefer the sunkiller because I could feel the silicones in the Sofina one that I could not feel in the sunkiller, and I don't like that chaulky feel on my face. So after I finished up the sofina sample, I bought more sunkiller, and have since stuck with sunkiller. I since bought the clearwater and skintone ones. I like them both. My co-worker tries the skintone at the gym (she goes to bally with me), and she really likes it, too. She is very picky with skincare products because of her sensitive skin, so I was surprised she liked this one.
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
hmm... i dont put concealer or foundation (i use bb cream) under my eyes so i'm not sure about caking Sad sorry!! but i use the rise as eyecream now and i've never had a problem with my eyeshadows creasing or anything- makes them vibrant and last all day, actually.
i think my way of thinking is that the undereye area is so delicate i dont want to put makeup on there, just skincare Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
for those who are interested in the actives of Sofina sunscreens,

SOFINA
PERFECT UV White Protect SPF50/PA+++
Zinc Oxide 13.87%, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate 4.00%

SOFINA
VITAL RICH UV CUT MILK SPF50/PA+++
zinc oxide 13.87%w/w,
ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate 4.00%w/w

I have the full ingredient listings of most Sofina SPF50 sunscreens but not the exact % of actives, but seems like they are pretty much the same.

I have also considered SUnkiller in the past but it is known to be unstable so I avoid it.
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
So day 1 of Sofina sunscreen has gone well. (yes, I know you can't tell anything from one day) But I didn't break out during the day, so at least there's that. With some products it's immediate.

However, I'm having a really strange problem. I don't know if it's off or not! So normally I use Cetaphil & a clean washcloth to take off my makeup, and follow that with Dr. H CC. Because of everything I read here, I bought a cleanser with a castile soap base (Desert Essence Facial Wash) and used that after the cetaphil. So now I can't tell if my skin feels weird because of the soap or the Sofina. Rolling Eyes

I'm feeling very skincare-challenged right now. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am      Reply with quote
sgresnic, Sofina ss is best to be removed with an oil based cleanser cuz of its high silicone content. Does your skin feel smooth and clean afterwards or does it feel a bit chalky?
Uno
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Most Jap milky sunscreens are best removed with a cleansing oil.
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
sgresnic, Sofina ss is best to be removed with an oil based cleanser cuz of its high silicone content. Does your skin feel smooth and clean afterwards or does it feel a bit chalky?

Crying or Very sad I don't know!! that's the skin-care challenged part.

I guess the problem is that I don't feel the chalky feeling when I put the ss on.

I used jojoba oil the last few nights. My skin did feel soft, and I did a pretty thorough massage, so I assume it was all off...

Confused

(I just noticed your post now. I didn't get an e-mail saying that there was a new post... I wonder why?)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I got one uv cut milk, and opened several months ago and left there till now. Now it went bad, so be careful about the expiration date.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |