Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
How to tell your skin undertone?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
panther05
5% products discount

Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very confused as to what my undertone is...I know in good light you look at your skin in the mirror with white to offset any colours, but I still can't figure it out. Confused

I've got pale skin, in most cosmetics I'm always about the third, sometimes second, lightest shades, medium brown hair with faint golden highlights (natural from the sun), and brown eyes. So you'd think I'd be yellow/golden undertone...except my skin burns quite easily (although it tends to turn into tan--that's rare though, I always wear sunscreen), and I've got red cheeks in my "butterfly area" across the top of my cheeks, and my skin gets quite pink and flushed sometimes for no reason. All of that makes me think I have pink-ish undertone. Can anyone help me figure it out? Matching make-up to my skin is really hard but if I knew I think it would help. Thanks all. Smile
VegasGirl
5% products discount

Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Panther05,
I used to be a manager at Estee Lauder and from what you wrote, it definitely sounds to me like you're a "cool" with pink undertones. Make-up with blue undertones will probably look best on you if you're a cool (for example a blue undertone lipstick would be a color like wine as opposed to an orangey-red color -- sorry, hard to describe!). Also pastels probably look great on you too. BUT the best thing to do is to go to your local make-up counter at the department store and ask for an assessment of your coloring. They should definitely be able to tell you. Smile
panther05
5% products discount

Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hey VG! I understood what you meant about the wine-coloured vs orangey coloured; thanks for your insight. I do probably need to go do that at a department store, though...hmm if I can ever stop procrastinating Laughing .
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
VegasGirl:
You seem to be an expert!!Can you explain to me that what is an olive undertone?? I have a hard time figuring it out Embarassed is it just another word describing yellow undertone? I am not sure! Probably not! Confused

I believe I have yellow undertone, do you have any suggestions for e/s, lip, and blush colors? Thanks! Wink Very Happy
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
VegasGirl:
I just want to add something if you dont mind Very Happy .. I am wearing neutral colors for my eyes, lots of browns, vanilla, etc. I really wanted to try new funny colors,unfortuntely, I just dont feel comfortable wearing new colors!They just dont look quite right on me, some colors look great in their pots, but just not appealing on my eyes! I tried purple, blue, green,pink, they are just not for me for some reasons! Can you help? What else colors I could try?
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:52 am      Reply with quote
Panther05,
Here is a link for a thread on this topic. I posted a pretty in-depth popst on it. You can check it out at:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2285&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Good luck,
Padme
panther05
5% products discount

Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka wrote:
Panther05,
Here is a link for a thread on this topic. I posted a pretty in-depth popst on it. You can check it out at:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2285&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Good luck,
Padme

Thank you very much!
VegasGirl
5% products discount

Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hey BBiz -- you're a lot like me then, I have an olive complexion as well, and you guessed it right -- yellow undertones. The eye shadow colors you're wearing sound pretty on target - the browns, etc. When I want to get "funkier" I use khaki green or a deep blue (like a navy blue as opposed to a baby blue, I look hideous in pastel type colors) and I especially like purple for my tone -- like a blue-ish purple as opposed to a reddish-purple. I think the key with these funkier colors is to keep a light hand and finish with a light stroke of black eyeliner on the top lashes (only) to tie it in together.

But I really truly think that on yellow toned skin/olive tone, bronze & browns look awesome. My favorite look is lining the inside of my bottom eyelid with black eyeliner (I know, not the best advice in terms of potentially contaminating the eye)then squeezing my eye shut hard so that the eyeliner color from the bottom gets smeared onto the top. Then I line the entire eye (on the outside of the eye, where you normally should wear eyeliner) with a brown eyeshadow, and then top with black mascara. The I dust bronzer on the apples of my cheeks, atop my forehead and down my nose. Finish with a nude or very light colored peachy lip gloss. I think this looks awesome on our skin color.

Sorry I probably went off longer than you needed me to, but make-ups my passion! Very Happy
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know about that statistic - 90% of all women have yellow skin tone. As someone in the cosmetology profession, I'm just curious as to where you got that information. Also, what is this yellow based foundation?
Thanks,
Padme
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
VegasGirl: Thanks a lot for your advice Very Happy Very Happy , you have given me great information~~

pbsadhaka: I dont know whether it's 90% (I dont know the exact %) but according to a beauty book written by Bobbi Brown, she did mention that it was her greatest success if she could convince all women in the world to use yellow-undertone foundation and powder regardless of your "real" undertone, I dont know why, I just buy what she said! Maybe I am truly a yellow undertone girl Wink and I also found her foundation/powder great on me Very Happy
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:10 am      Reply with quote
I'm unsure what undertone I'm but I'm more of a cool undertone. I have pale skin that gets pink quite easily. I'm asian btw. If I used a yellow undertone foundation, I found that under certain lighting, it makes me look yellowish. Now I'm using both a pink and yellow undertone powder foundation. It seems to brighten my skin up a bit without giving me that yellowish cast. So my conclusion is probably use a combination of both a pink/ yellow undertone foundation?
MsMakeups

Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Ok so I'm having trouble with my skin tone. I am asian with dark brown hair that gets lighter at the tips. Also I have black eyes and green colored looking veins (I heard your vein color can tell if you are warm or cool colored). But then I am pretty medium on my skin and neck but my face is very very light so that my friends who are light caucasions, there makeup is just a tiny bit lighter than my skin tone. So when I put on the foundation that matches my skin, it looks unnatural compared to my arms and neck. If I try something darker, it makes me look like im trying to fake a tan. Also I have combination skin. Oh and btw I look like I have redish undertones, but when I use foundations with a bluish tone I look sallow, but when I use golden undertones Its too dark. What is my undertone and is there any makeup (doesnt matter the price I use MAC) foundation that is good for skin like mine? Question Confused
ilusa26
5% products discount

Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
i also have hard time with picking right foundation. i am from india darkbrown hair and eyes so i must be a yellow undertone. but i feel there are alot of choices of shades for cool tones than warm tones. any suggestions for foundation and or cocealers?
woshididi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I have almost the same problem with you. I always try the lightest color of any foundation.
missladybug

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm having trouble figuring out my skin undertone.

I'm a light-skinned Filipina with dark brown eyes and black hair. I have naturally rosy cheeks. And my face tends to flush red when it's hot, or when I perspire. I've checked behind my wrist, and my veins appear purplish. But immediately below that and up to elbow are all green. My palm is pink with mostly purple veins though.

I'm hoping some of you guys could help Smile Thank you!
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:25 am      Reply with quote
HI Missladybug (cute name by the way),
Welcome to EDS!

Here is an easy way to tell if you have cool or warm undertones:

If you look better in silver jewelry you have cool undertones.

If you look better in gold jewelry you are most likely a warm.

Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Some of us are a conundrum, I have both undertones.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I too am very confused. I did the white test and I looked very pink, my veins are green and my hands have a yellow tint. I have fair skin that easily burns, dark blond/light brown hair and hazel eyes (ring of blue, then green with a few specks of brown). I remember once I got matched at the prescriptives counter and was told blue! Any help? Candi
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
I look at my veins on my wrist. Green veins you tend to be warmer, blue cooler. I do not look better in silver nor gold, about the same.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:05 am      Reply with quote
VegasGirl wrote:

But I really truly think that on yellow toned skin/olive tone, bronze & browns look awesome. My favorite look is lining the inside of my bottom eyelid with black eyeliner (I know, not the best advice in terms of potentially contaminating the eye)then squeezing my eye shut hard so that the eyeliner color from the bottom gets smeared onto the top.

I use a trick I learned from Makeup Wakeup: I use Almay cheap liquid eyeliner in black, then put dots and dashes in amongst my upper eyelashes, connecting them. This gives the appearance of thicker eyelashes. Then I line my eyelids as usual using a pencil in a dark bronzy brown. Some days I don't bother with mascara (Careprost makes my eyelashes long and dark).

I tweaked my makeup routine thanks to that book and highly recommend it. Wish I could afford a personal session with Sandy Linter. http://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Wakeup-Revitalizing-Your-Look/dp/0762439351/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327859767&sr=1-1
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |