Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Facial exercises might be bad?Check this out!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I had been using the facial flex for awhile,I actually stopped using it because I had the permanent filler artefill and wasnt sure if I should use it right away....anyway I know there are 2 sides to this :one side says yes,you exercise your body to keep it in shape,why not the face?BUT I saw Joey Buttofuco's wife on Utube.com. She had plastic surgery because when she got shot by Joey's lover(remember Aimee?) she shot her in the face and hence one side of her face was paralyzed. Well,years later geuss what!The side of her face that was paralyzed had not aged:no wrinkles,whereas the face that was not paralyzed had aged and had wrinkles-she needed surgery to "even out her looks". SO........does that mean its bad to exercise your face and maybe just botox yourself to paralyze all your muscles so it cant make a wrinkle might be better???!!!!Confused here!
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
I guess not making face movements prevents lines forming but i dont think face exercises cause wrinkles....its just all the repetitive smiling frowning etc over the yrs that will do it. Toned muscles should stop the sag happening making skin more resistance to lines/sagging. Just what i think anyway.

And id rather have a few lines that be botoxed to death - some people just start to look odd with it. Their faces have no character.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I think if its done properly it looks natural,nobody had ever noticed I had been botoxed,just that I looked younger.It seems even drs. cant agree on this subject,some drs. say botox is not the way to go,others say its good because it prevents you from getting a wrinkle because you cant keep doing those bad habits like frowning.....who knows!I love botox but I dont do it very often anymore because it only lasts 6 weeks, not 6 months.
TheSkinGirl82
5% products discount

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
You age from two things. Loosing collagen and elastin in the skin. (You loose 1% of your bodies collagen every year after you turn 40.) And over use of muscles. That is why you get smile lines. Think about it. If you have a piece of fabric for example, and every single day you fold it in the same spot hundreds of times. After 40 years don’t you think you would have lines? So if you add extra movement to it like these “facial exercises” it would make lines worse.

My best advice for aging skin:

Staying out of the sun, SUNSCREEN!

Antioxidants, fights off free radicals, Vitamin A (Retin A) Reduces fine lines/exfoliant and Vitamin C Helps stimulate collagen

A hyaluronic acid serum, hydrates, plumps and smoothes and what the body naturally produces.

And a little secret for women going through menopause…..bio identical hormones. Look it up!
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Well going by my own experience doing some eye exercises i dont agree it makes them worse. My upper eye lids are firmer. my lower eye lids arent creasing up as much when i smile. Most who do them swear by it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
The repetitive everyday expressions are what causes most wrinkles, they don't call them "laugh lines" for nothing.

Being a nurse, I've taken care of many patients who had strokes; not one, no matter what their age, had wrinkles....The reason why they don't is simple, the facial muscles, along with every thing else, experiences paralysis. All muscles are in a "relaxed" state.

As far as facial exercise goes, in my humble opinion, it's a good thing, especially from age 40 on. But do it while looking in the mirror, so you don't squinch your face unnecessarily.

I also recommend a piece of tape across the horizontal lines on the forehead every night before going to bed........You'd be amazed at the contorted faces we all make while we sleep. And for those of you that sleep on your back, you'll experience wrinkle free skin for a hell of a lot longer than those of us who cozy up on our sides......

Just my two cents.........sleep tight!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
ok Kassy but why would you exercise a face when you think paralysis is good for a face? On this one I am perplexed! I was using the facial flex but have stopped and am considering redoing my botox every 3 mos, that longterm you may actually have less wrinkles if you use botox because you wont expressions that give wrinkles. And yes I sleep on my back and sometimes I use "frownies",those little tape things, they actually do help a lot when my husband sees me he just rolls his eyes and shakes his ead! Rolling Eyes
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
ok Kassy but why would you exercise a face when you think paralysis is good for a face? On this one I am perplexed! I was using the facial flex but have stopped and am considering redoing my botox every 3 mos, that longterm you may actually have less wrinkles if you use botox because you wont expressions that give wrinkles. And yes I sleep on my back and sometimes I use "frownies",those little tape things, they actually do help a lot when my husband sees me he just rolls his eyes and shakes his ead! Rolling Eyes

The point I was trying to make is that when muscles are paralyzed, as in stroke or botox, no wrinkls forms, because the muscle can't contract.

Exercising the face muscles, keeps everything from getting flat and atrophied. And I suppose the puffed up muscles, would fill out wrinkles a bit as well.

Good for you though that you can sleep on your back, I wish I could.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Image Morjorie Newlin is an 84 year old great grandmother.

It is difficult to imagine that this body belongs to 84 year old! Shock Newlin got this the body by exercising. Now imagine how she would look like with good skin care, but without exercising.... It is a parallel example with the facial exercises....

Multiple elements contribute to the appearance: skin + muscles + bones + attitude. We need to take care of ourselves from all the different angles, and find the right balance. I feel that facial exercises can help with muscle tone.

I have been doing facial exercises with positive results. As with everything, we need to find what is right for an individual through trial and error, and with suggestions from each other. Facial exercises are not an exception.

Kassy_A gave excellent suggestions on exercises such as mirror, etc.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
reference for the image in the previous post:
http://www.momsonthemove.tv/show_detail.asp?id=45
Mau
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
mpstat, thank you for sharing! It is quite motivating!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
I dont really like the muscley look on men let alone women and it look a little freaky on an 84 yr old.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Different people have different ideas of the beauty and where they want to go. I do not want to look "age natural" from the muscles prospective, I want to have toned muscles... This is where I see exercise might help.

Need to say that I do not exercise in general, (I am slim and have good figure) but realise that need to start exercising if I want to have toned muscles as opposed to sluggish ones. At the same time I do facial exercises and see progress, in some areas more then the others, but there is good progress overall. Smile

PS: Morjorie Newlin is a body building champion, not many can achieve what she did.... I do find her example as inspirational one.
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:33 am      Reply with quote
mpstat wrote:
PS: Morjorie Newlin is a body building champion, not many can achieve what she did.... I do find her example as inspirational one.

Absolutely!
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure whether facial exercises are good or bad in the long run but let me tell you a story about me. I love running. I live in Vancouver near the stanley park and I run a few times a week around the seawall. it's absolutely gorgeous. I see raccoons, swans, ducks and sea otters and big ships sitting in the mist on the horizon. It's such a joy and I get a real high from running fast and pushing myself. Well, about a year ago I read an article about how running causes the face to droop and sag from the constant pulling on the facial muscles. All of a sudden my runs went from pure bliss and enjoyment of nature to panic about what I was doing to my face. I started picturing all those gaunt, hollow-faced marathon runners. So I started power walking. Well, nothing replaces the buzz of running. Finally I woke up and realised that a few runs a week wasn't going to ruin my face and if it did, well so what. Running improves circulation, mood, builds muscle tone and creates a sense of well-being. I could be a prisoner of beauty or I could do what I love doing. I chose running.

That said, I love my botox. (Hey, I admit I'm a hypocrite) Wink
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Wow the 84 year old looks great! She looks better than most 40 year olds! Once we are past 40, for every year we don't use our muscles, we lose 1% of them. Thats why we see people with skinny arms and legs, flat butts and big guts! Exercising is essential and face muscles too! I also beleive in Botox, I use it in my forehead as I also squint at the computer or when I concentrate then I get a headache, no more with Botox! Amen!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Actually running does cause facial sagging,not only that it ruins your knees, but makes a lot of orthopedic surgeons wealthy. Laughing I do work out with weights daily,it helps to lose weight, firm muscles burn more calories to maintain than fat.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
I began a couple of weeks ago doing Facercise and Facial Flex. At first I didn't like the Facercise. It almost made me nauseated when I did it, a strange, queasy feeling. I was exercising muscles I had never flexed before, but I spent around $50 getting 2 DVDs and a book, and I was determined to keep at it. Glad I did. It's feeling good now. I wake up in the morning and do the exercises before I get out of bed.

My face is already developing shape where there was none, my eyes are looking wider, and I "feel" the muscles even when my face is still.
When I smiled today at a friend, I realized that I used to smile just with my lips, and now I feel it all over my face. I'm on the beginning exercises now, but I plan to do the whole program.

I don't want a face lift or injections, and this is something I can do for myself.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
pink_apple
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing a link. I've never thought such age still able to build muscles & live like that. It's amazing & encouraging!

Keep up to live good and nothing is impossible.
TheSkinGirl82
5% products discount

Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
You can "tone up" muscles in your face all you want. Sure your eyes might look brighter because of the muscles. BUT, your SKIN, NOT muscles in your face will crease from over use of muscle. You can have the nicest face muscles around...but wrinkled skin. Does that make sense?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
TheSkinGirl82 wrote:
You can "tone up" muscles in your face all you want. Sure your eyes might look brighter because of the muscles. BUT, your SKIN, NOT muscles in your face will crease from over use of muscle. You can have the nicest face muscles around...but wrinkled skin. Does that make sense?

Actually, it doesn't...might I suggest that you look into dermarolling? If you review all of the studies on this topic, you will see that you CAN indeed rejuvenate the skin if you are interested in doing so.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:22 am      Reply with quote
face exercises improve skintone and elasticity so actually help to decrease and prevent wrinkles

additionally the increased tone and volume in your muscles will help to fill out pre existing wrinkles

there are many factors involved with facial ageing, wrinkles are a small part, what will age you much more is loss of volume in your face

as we get older we lose fat and muscle in our face causing it to thin out, look flatter, and causing cheeks and eyes to sag

building your facial muscles through exercise reverses all of this and would make you look much younger than someone with a flat saggy botoxed line free face

ive been doing them 6 months and recently saw someone i havent seen for a few years and they were amazed at the difference in my face. i didnt say id been doing anything but they said i looked totally different

my face is a totally different shape now and i look 100% better. i would never touch botox again, if you use botox you are causing all the muscles around your eyes to atrophy which will also in the long run cause your eyes to sag droop and make you look older, not to mention a waste of money
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I have had the same experience as ellie and I have been doing facial exercises for one year. There are so many techniques, devices, and additive to improve the aging face, one does not need to look like a prune Laughing
Toby
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:14 am      Reply with quote
I have good results with facial exercises. I can't live without them.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
I've been running for years - and I'm 50 - mistaken for 30's - I dont overdue anything. Use sunscreen, have genetics on my side... No surgeries. I do an occasionally botox - forhead only since I have a terrible tendency to furrow and frown. It's been a Godsend. I've recently had Artefill (One carpule) and it was just enough in my nl folds (dang them). I use comprehensive skincare without fail.
sunscreen is a daily thing. And I don't hang in the sun.
Running has increased bloodflow, decreased fat. My body is tight - ex-gymnast and always worked out - weights and nutrition and cardiovascular work are the fountain of youth. I just ordered Flex Effect for my face and I'm ready to hit those "weights' next. I know it will be a good thing.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |