Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

70% glycolic kit....what is the acid reducer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:57 am      Reply with quote
I want to buy the 70% kit (from make up artists choice)with the acid reducer but am wondering if the acid reducer is something I can make myself? has anyone ever used this product before?

Dr. Strength Glycolic Full Kit
Included with your kit:
1.01 oz 70% glycolic acid
2 oz pH prep,
2 oz acid reducer
mixing bowl
glycolic brush
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:35 am      Reply with quote
I've got this kit and although I haven't used it lately, I like it very much. It looks like it will last forever. I don't mix up quite as much solution per peel as it directs because I had a lot left over the first time.

The ingredients for the acid reducer are listed as water, witch hazel, essential oil of lavender, metylparaben, and propylparaben.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:42 am      Reply with quote
thank you for that! I can live without the parabens and dont think they do much to reduce the acid its probably the witch hazel and water diluting the glycolic.....thing is I dont need the prep and would rather just buy 2 bottles of the glycolic for the same price as that kit...but I should get that kit for the first time I suppose for the recipe...otherwise dont know how much witch hazel solution to add to the glycolic to reduce it.....
what percentage do you use on your face?
have you ever used the 70% anywhere (arms etc)
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure of the proportions of water and witch hazel in the acid reducer. You could probably make your own pretty easily but I don't know how to figure out how much water and witch hazel to use to make an acid reducer similar in strength to the one that comes in the kit.

The recipe for how much acid reducer to add to the glycolic acid is pretty simple. Equal amounts of acid + acid reducer cuts the strength of the acid by half to 35%. For higher strength, use less acid reducer; for weaker strength, use more acid reducer. The instructions do come with a chart specifying how many drops of acid + how many drops of acid reducer to make exact strengths from 20% to 70% but this is based on using their included acid reducer. I'll be glad to give you those numbers if you want to try and make your own reducer but they will only be accurate if you can make a reducer the same strength as their's.

I've only used this on my face in strengths of 20% - 35%, never tried it any stronger than that anywhere. I may try it stronger on my hands though, they're looking pretty rough lately. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I noticed on the instruction sheet that the glycolic acid solution itself has water in it so I would think that the proportions of water to witch hazel in the reducer probably aren't that important after all. I'd had the idea that adding straight water to glycolic acid somehow renders it ineffective but apparently that's not the case since the acid solution itself contains purified water as the second ingredient. You could probably just use water alone as a reducer but I'm not sure.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
wow water in the mix...I didnt realise....Yeah I was thinking whichever acid reducer I cook up it wont be accurate anyway...
I will buy the kit ...at least at first....did you see the 2 bottles of 70 % are cheaper than the kit....
I want to use the stronger percentage for my paws which look so crappy! and my arms...want to get it done before summer so that I can repeat the process and keep my hands and arms covered to lessen sensitivity from the sun....
thank you for all that info!!!!

TheSkinGirl82
5% products discount

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
My question to you is what is the ph of the 70% glycolic? Ph is one of the most important things. You can have a 70% glycolic and have it be a ph of 4.0% and a 35% glycolic and a ph of 2.5% and the 35% is a lot stronger. Also, anything below 1.0% ph should be done by a doctor, I am not even legally allowed to do it being an Aesthetician. You can really burn yourself.

The preps and acid reducers are VERY necessary. They are both alkaline to prepare the skin for an acid and then once you are done peeling balancing the skin back to the correct ph for the skin. If not used the ph is off and can either make you break out, or dry out your skin. I always recommend using a hydrating calming mask after a peel, even if you are oily. It helps lock water in the skin, not oil. Water neutralizes glycolic, that is why it is in the acid reducer. How I like to peels is use the prep, glycolic peel, cotton pads with water to neutralize, acid reducer to balance.

You can use glycolic on the body, but make sure you use sun protection daily, even on the face sun screen is absolutely necessary. Glycolic dissolves 3 layers of dead skin cells. Also, darker skin, should NOT use glycolic at all. You can hyperpigment the skin. It’s best on people with fairer skin.

Also, after 6 months, glycolic peels loose their strength. So it won’t last forever.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
thank you TheSkinGirl82
thats great info!
I want the higher % for my body...I use 30% on my face and only a few minutes (once a week)
Whats the highest percentage you can go on your face and is there a way to do a deeper peel that takes a week to recover from using glycolic acid? I seem to remember having one here in tokyo (and it wasnt TCA) and it peeled for about 5 days and then the skin look great!.....was in glycolic and what would the percentage have been?
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
70% is it too strong?
TheSkinGirl82
5% products discount

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Well like said in my other post it all depends on the ph of the glycolic peel. The lower the ph the stronger it will be. Anything that would take a week to recover from I would recommend seeing a medical Aesthetician at a Doctors office or having a doctor do it.

As a licensed Aesthetician I can’t even buy a 70% glycolic peel. A medical Aesthetician can’t even do it. It HAS to be done by a doctor. So my guess would be that is this particular product is VERY buffered.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |