Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

does idebenone NOT work at all for some people! (irritation)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
youngrace
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:52 am      Reply with quote
i think my skin hates idebenone. i've tried probably five different formulations, and all seem to irritate the heck out of my face. so i'm curious--is this irritation similar to the type you get with vitamin c, and that goes away after a while, or is this something that will keep on going long after i've used up my tubes of ea prevage and prevage md? if so, i probably won't be doing my skin a huge service anyway. Laughing thanks everyone in advance!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I cannot use any Prevage at all, little tiny bumps. but they disappear after a couple weeks of nonusage.

5% products discount

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
seems a little bit horrible, I'm thinking about buying myself idebenone products, but now may should be more cautious><
youngrace
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:51 am      Reply with quote
sorry--i should have been more specific. =) i meant the irritation that goes away after you use the product for a bit; you know how dermatologists are always like, "stick with it--the irritation goes away but the results last forever." that sort of thing. anyone know?
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Some people can have allergies to this. I have made a DIY lotion from the products at skinactives.com where they sell Idebenone in the raw form. They mention in the product description that there can be an alergic reaction. I don't have any though, it does wonders for my skin!
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using a product that contains this ingredient and my skin loves it. It does seem to one that you either can or can't.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I had an AWFUL reaction to prevage. Scaly, reddened patches of skin. I use many products, (too many, lol!) , but this one really wrecked havoc on my skin at the time.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Oops, forgot to add that yes, it does sound like an allergic reaction, many people are sensitive to idebenone.
If I were you , I would not keep using it, hths. Smile
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
It made my face itch and burn also can't use the makeup that has it in it
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
No go for me either...I broke out in a rash all over my face and neck...I didn't even think I got any of the Prevage on my neckt! It was pretty bad and took several days to go away.

Little tiny bumps are also a side effect for me for Vitamin C - can't use that either....

Maria Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
thanks everyone for the feedback! i guess that settles it for me...no idebenone for sensitive skin. Confused i guess it's back to the drawing board...
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:09 am      Reply with quote
I could happen to anyone. Stop to use it if any irritation occurs.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
My derm rec going very slowly at first with Prevage (idebenone) d/t irritation. She rec every other day after a patch test first to rule out allergy. She said some ppl will break out in a rash or acne. Since Prevage MD is 1% and OTC Prevage is 0.5% be very careful with the MD strength.
The info about it is very confusing, also. Skinactives.com rec not using it with acids, but my derm rec using it over my glycolic products.
I personally have not had any probs with it and use the MD strength day and nite. Goes to show how different we are! Bummer that it happened to you tho Youngrace. =(

Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:59 am      Reply with quote
I am in day four of a terrible allergic reaction to Idebenone 1%. My face is swollen, itchy and burning. I have tried everything I can think of to help, but nothing seems to work. I have used many, many, many products for my skin and nothing has ever given me a bad reaction until this. It is horrible!!!!!!!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:27 am      Reply with quote
My derm said that taking Benedryl can sometimes help or they prescribe prednisone or a methpack (methylprednisone?) for more severe cases. I use Obagi Active lotion for several days to speed healing. I would suggest calling your doc if at all possible right now and it is not improving. That's a pretty strong reaction. Hope it gets better soon.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I have heard of this Idebenone. Not good. There are no clinical studies to prove its good for skin. There are some products that do stimulate formation of collagen and thats retin A or Differin.....maybe vitamin C (but its not stable) so forget that. AHAs and glycolics are wonderful for skin as well. That cancels everything else OUT. Take your pick. You will see results with very little irritation if you use any ONE of these products on your skin with NOTHING ELSE sparingly. Good luck!
Mau
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
This spring I used Perfect Complexion's HA Soy Lift. I experienced mild irritation after each application and each time I thought it's OK ("stick with it--the irritation goes away but the results last forever"). I used half of the bottle when I saw a suspicious red spot with tiny bumps under my right eye (on the cheek). It looked so unusual that I checked all google images typing "skin cancer". Moreover, I visited a doctor soon and he said that it was a siringioma (?) (benign skin tumor). I visited two more doctors after that and all of them pronounced different diagnosis including "just" dermatitis.
But I think that it was a reaction on this product only. Mad
I stopped to use everything that time including Copper peptides serum. I exfoliated my skin with acids occasionally. The spot almost disappeared after couple of months. It is hardly visible now but still there. You can see it if you know where to look Sad
Be very careful and don't ignore if your skin reacts. ANY way. Exclamation

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote
cbw wrote:
I am in day four of a terrible allergic reaction to Idebenone 1%. My face is swollen, itchy and burning. I have tried everything I can think of to help, but nothing seems to work. I have used many, many, many products for my skin and nothing has ever given me a bad reaction until this. It is horrible!!!!!!!

I experienced this too, around my eyes. The itching was unbelievable.

Have you any hydrocortisone cream? I'd apply that (sparingly) and nothing else until the itching and other symptoms subside. Be careful not to apply it for longer than 7 days, though, as it can thin the skin.

After that, I found my skin to be extremely dry, crinkled and still red. So I applied a nice, mild face cream without active ingredients and followed with a layer of vaseline. Several days later, my skin was looking and feeling so much better.

If your skin doesn't appear to be healing well, though, you might be best to check with your doctor.
cbw

Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's advice. Day 6 and my skin is starting to heal. My face and neck are very dry and starting to peel - Kind of like that chapped skin that comes from snow skiing.
I have peels and treatments regularly, but I hope to never use this stuff again!!!!
cbw

Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's advice. Day 6 and my skin is starting to heal. My face and neck are very dry and starting to peel - Kind of like that chapped skin that comes from snow skiing.
I have peels and treatments regularly, but I hope to never use this stuff again!!!!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad your skin's starting to recover. Now you should be sure to take good, gentle care of it until it's fully mended. I'd definitely recommend vaseline over a nice, gentle face cream.
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, people can get allergic reactions to idebenone since it is a synthetic molecule.. unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do about it if you have an allergy to the product, if you persist, the allergic reaction might just get worse.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |