Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Best sunscreens
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Miswoy
5% products discount

Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering what sunscreens some of you might recommend? I love the outdoors, but I have avoided exposure. I'm very fair-skinned (skin cancer runs in my family).

Any suggestions for a strong sunscreen?
czech1970
5% products discount

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi there, I have been using Swiss brand Ultrasun which is clear sunfilter, waterresistant, good for outdoors activities. It is available here in UK, not sure where you are from. And for my face I like some little bit of colour so I use US brand Dr. Denese Denese Day Cream - A Truly Unique SPF 30. It is tinted but I'm fair skin.
Sorry wanted to give you the web addresses, but it didn't let me through as a new member. Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 am      Reply with quote
I used to use Blue Lizard Australian Suncream, SPF 30+, Face - whihc was really good until I discovered La Roche Posay - Anthelios XL SPF 60. Both are great sunscreens, provide coverage and I never broke out form them. I just find that LRP blends better, less of a whitish film.
myamax
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Hello! I really like Vichy Capatil Soleil spf 60 (find it isn't as thick/heavy on the skin as the La Roche Possay 60 was for me) and wear this the most. I alternate it with Osmosis SPF 29+ for a change, and its good too.
Happycat
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:43 am      Reply with quote
I used Japan brand sofina for more than 3 years, and it is good, they have different texture (lotion or cream) and work perfect on me.
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:36 am      Reply with quote
I find Bioderma SPF30 spray the best! it's also got a high PPD of 26.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Yikes, another sunscreen thread can you tell we're all a little obsessed with sunscreen? Laughing

If you conduct a search you'll probably find more information than you wanted to know about sunscreen. With that said, I used PSF SPF 50 for quite awhile, really liked it but recently switched to NIA24 100% mineral sunscreen after I tried some samples. It also acts as a makeup primer so it's a multi-purpose product.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 am      Reply with quote
I guess it's that time of the year when sunscreen decisions start creeping up on me again! I'm using Sofina Perfect UV Lucent right now...but I'm finding that it must not do that great a job of preventing hyperpigmentation on me..or maybe my hyperpigmentation just came back since I stopped using Obagi. Either way, I still repurchased a bottle of this because it's the only sunscreen I've ever tried that is actually LIGHT and doesn't leave a film to it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
I just got an email about sunscreens today and here are the recommendations for choosing a product.

What ingredients should I look for in a sunscreen?

When selecting a sunscreen, look for products labeled "broad-spectrum UVA and UVB” protection. The package should include a list of active ingredients. Look for physical sunblocks, such as titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. These ingredients work by actually deflecting sunlight away from your skin, and are much more effective sun protection than chemical sunblocks, such as Avobenzone, octocrylene, and oxybenzone.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I know most people don't like clinique, but I love their super city block spf 40 for my face.
Its non greasy and doesn't break me out.
Happycat
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
I am using a Japan brand sofina, which is really good in texture....
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Love the Avene 50+ emulsion with Tinosorb. Luckily I'm going to Europe this summer and can stock up again.
chesterfield
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:22 am      Reply with quote
I love DiorSnow SPF 50+ and L'Occitane Immortelle SPF 40+ both available at Sephora if you need samples...
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:09 am      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
I just got an email about sunscreens today and here are the recommendations for choosing a product.

What ingredients should I look for in a sunscreen?

When selecting a sunscreen, look for products labeled "broad-spectrum UVA and UVB” protection. The package should include a list of active ingredients. Look for physical sunblocks, such as titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. These ingredients work by actually deflecting sunlight away from your skin, and are much more effective sun protection than chemical sunblocks, such as Avobenzone, octocrylene, and oxybenzone.

jom, there are quite a few threads discussing the merits of physical sunscreens [also called minerals sunscreen] that contain only Titanium or Zinc as an active ingredient vs. Chemical sunscreens. After a lot of reviews, time and effort I've opted for mineral based sunscreen, simply because I'm more comfortable with the way they work. A physical sunscreen deflects UVA/UVB rays away from the surface, which can keep you cooler and only needs to be reapplied if it's removed due to water or perspiration.

The chemical sunscreens allow UVA rays to absorb into your skin and interact with them to neutralize the effect of UVA. That's why you need to reapply chemical based sunscreens so frequently because after awhile, they're going to break down. So how does a girl reapply chemical based sunscreen when you have makeup on? Very Happy It's because of those concerns that I've opted for physical, but finding a physical sunscreen that didn't cause me to break out and had a nice texture and wasn't so expensive that I'd never use enough to be effective was like quest for the holy grail in skincare.

Hope this helps,

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
beeb
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
I love Obagi Healthy skin Spf 35, but for the very best protection I think La Roche Posay Anthelios 60 is tops (but way too greasy for me alas.)

Paula Begoin raves about Obagi Spf 32 with 18.5% Zinc but it is very thick and gives a white cast. Also pricy for 2oz (about 30$)
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
I know most people don't like clinique, but I love their super city block spf 40 for my face.
Its non greasy and doesn't break me out.

I agree! I only use it if I'm specifically going to be in the sun all day, but under make up it's pretty non-clogging and it really keeps my skin from burning (I'm very fair). Otherwise, I just use my MMU which has SPF 20 built in (Jane Iredale Pressed Powder).
huisun

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
clarins' UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40 Oil Free is good, very light and comfy, but kind of expensive...
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
when i want something lighti go for the AKN Spray by Bioderma SPF 30........its nice and easy to use

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have a sunscreen that absolutely does not clog pores? I already use MMU..
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Feliz, is your MMU SPF? I know many lines are and since they're physical barriers rather than chemical, they won't interact with your skin any more than the MMU does (which is almost not at all).
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
HA!! I just noticed we are on other topics..

My MMU is supposed to yeild an SPF 17!! I dont get sunburned.
Urbnengineer
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hooray! I thought that would be a good solution (the MMU with SPF)

Yes, we have been posting on the same topics a lot lately...maybe we're actually the same person!
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
HA!! Funny!! Haven't you used MMU before?? IT has been my HG in life, ever since my skin decided to rebel and product an acne prone condition if not treated well....UGH!!! THE BAIN of my existence....Nevertheless, if you get a yellow based product of MMU it covers so flawlessly and wonderfully,...most of the time if you don't have dry skin....

I love True Cosmetics and have used about 5 diff colors so let me know if you need color help....
yomama606
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:45 am      Reply with quote
I use Obagi Healthy skin Spf 35, but my cheaper drugstore substitute would be Ultra Sheer Neutrogena sunscreen only $10.
yomama606
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:45 am      Reply with quote
Sorry I forgot to say...Aveeno has a good drugstore sunscreen similar in price to the Neutrogena.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |