Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
skin purging???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
FalineRN
5% products discount

Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:14 am      Reply with quote
What's everyone's opinion on skin purging? Is it a myth or does it really happen?

Faline
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:56 am      Reply with quote
I don't really believe in skin purging. IMO if you start with a gentle and effective cleanser that removes grime, oil, makeup and sunscreen effectively without stripping or drying the skin then follow with products that do not clog pores, do not over dry the skin or cause the skin to product excessive oil then you should not have any purging.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:45 am      Reply with quote
My opinion is that it is a myth. Blemishes, wounds and "impurities" start as an issue from the OUTSIDE into the pore. Bacteria, errant skin cells, fungus and physical damage are all elements that can damage and react individual pores and also skin as a whole. The body does purge (bio)chemical toxins through many organs, including the skin. The skin is not one general casing holding everything together. Sweat glands secrete sweat, sebum glands secrete sebum, follicles house and produce hair, etc. so it doesn't make sense to me in any way that a new cream or oil (or potion) applied to the skin could draw bodily contained "toxins" through every vessel and pore in contact with the product. I think it is far more likely that the blemishes and skin reactions are caused by a reaction by the skin based in sensitivity, allergy, and physical clogging of pores and vessels of the skin in contact.
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:52 am      Reply with quote
SylphideNoir wrote:
it doesn't make sense to me in any way that a new cream or oil (or potion) applied to the skin could draw bodily contained "toxins" through every vessel and pore in contact with the product. I think it is far more likely that the blemishes and skin reactions are caused by a reaction by the skin based in sensitivity, allergy, and physical clogging of pores and vessels of the skin in contact.

That's what I think too, except that SylphideNoir expresses it so much better than I would have done Smile
SylphideNoir
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:23 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Thanks Cadia!
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Then how would one explain the breakouts related to first starting BHA? Also, I am sure that when I read about Retin-A, one website said that the skin may seem worse at the beginning but will get better afterwards.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Well, both of those ingredients are highly active and commonly lead to redness and even burning because of their chemical reaction to skin. When the skin is irritated in that way inflammation, small wounds and removal of the stratum corneum can introduce bacteria into stressed and damaged pores. The body repairs and defends itself but the immediate reaction would be evident. BHA is oil soluble and used to deeply penetrate but also clear sebum and oils from the pores. If you added such a substance that is emulsifying the pore debris and inflammation closing that pore surface a blemish seems very likely IMO.
ETA:
I've actually found an antihistamine cream to work very well on BHA blemishes.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for explaining that SN Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Wink It's not definitive science just my hypothesis.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |