Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DIY toner for sensitive combination skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Jouke
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
I have been using a moisturizing toner from Paula's Choice for some time, and I love it, but the bottle is always empty too quickly Embarassed
So I'd like to make one myself: a toner that moisturizes a little bit (but not too much because I have sensitive combination skin that is prone to break-outs) and that neutralizes the pH after cleansing.

Can someone help me with a DIY-recipe please?

Thanks a lot!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Do not know about recipe for toner but I have used Rose Water for years and its brillant
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Rosewater and glycerin. Buy the two ingredients separately and experiment with the amount of glycerin you use. 10% is about right for most people. It can be sticky if you use too much. You could try other floral waters depending on your skin type. Orange flower water is normally available at supermarkets and deli's and is good for sensitive skin. Also if you have oily skin or need to control breakouts, you could try adding a little bit of witch hazel to the mix.
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jouke,
Scroll down on this site:
http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/4264762.htm
they advise raspberry, cranberry, cucumber, peach, and pineapple extracts for sensitive skins
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
I second the rosewater glycerin idea. That's a staple among many skincare folks, and the combo is soothing and a bit moisturizing.

Rose is known for calming skin, and is particularly good for combo skin as it helps both oiliness and dryness.

And glycerin is gentle and soothing and helps skin retain water, but I agree that you should be careful not to use too much. Also try and make sure it's vegetable glycerine --i.e. buy it at a health food, not a drug store.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
rabbitpig
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
I am slao sensitive conbination skin.
thanks for your sharing.
Jouke
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry sorry, I had not seen your posting with the rose water recipe before!!

I have now made ACV-toner with 30% apple cider vinegar, green tea, cammomila tea, and several essential ois. I like it very much and it helps for my break outs! It is not irritating.

Pure natural rose water is rather expensive. I hoped I would find a DIY tonic that is not too expensive. I have found that in the ACV-tonic.

Thanks anyway for sharing, I will sure keep it in mind!

Jouke
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
Jouke wrote:
Sorry sorry, I had not seen your posting with the rose water recipe before!!

I have now made ACV-toner with 30% apple cider vinegar, green tea, cammomila tea, and several essential ois. I like it very much and it helps for my break outs! It is not irritating.

Pure natural rose water is rather expensive. I hoped I would find a DIY tonic that is not too expensive. I have found that in the ACV-tonic.

Thanks anyway for sharing, I will sure keep it in mind!

Jouke

Would you mind sharing your exact recipe for making the toner? Thanks.
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:58 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Carekate's ACV toner recipe with good results. FYI, here's the recipe:

CareKate's homemade ACV Super Toner

What you'll need:

• Apple Cider Vinegar • Clean, empty 8 ounce glass or plastic bottle
• Green Tea • Distilled water (tap water is okay, but distilled is better!)
• Ylang Ylang essential oil (or any other essential oil of your choice)
• Lemon essential oil

What you do:

• Fill bottle 1/3 full of ACV (may increase or decrease amount of vinegar to suit your own skin type, add more for oilier skin and less for dry skin.

• Heat 2/3 cup of distilled water and bring to boil, then add 3-4 green tea bags (you want to make the tea solution REALLY strong!!) and let it steep for 30 minutes or longer, then remove teabags. Once the green tea has cooled completely, pour into bottle with ACV (do not fill bottle completely full because you'll need room to add the Ylang Ylang and/or other EOs).

• Add 12 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil to bottle (if your skin-type is not oily, simply add less Y-Y oil or leave it out altogether) and 12 drops of Lemon essential oil.
Jouke
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Yes, this is the recipe I used as a base.
I changed some things in order to make a fit with my skin type which is oily, prone to break outs but also sensitive.

2,5 ounce ACV
6 ounce distilled water
5 green tea bags
3 camomilla tea bags
12 drops Ylang Ylang oil
3 drops tea tree ess. oil
3 drops rosemary ess. oil
3 drops geranium ess. oil
3 drops lavender ess. oil
Two (or more if you like) uncoated aspirins

Make a very strong tea with the tea bags and the dist. water. After cooling down queeze out the tea bags (afterwards you will have about 5 ounce of tea left)

Add the ACV, the essential oil drops and the aspirin (aspirin fights the break outs)
I also added 1% Optiphen as a preservative.
Stirr well.

Finish with sifting.
Store the bulk in the fridge and only use small amounts in the bathroom for daily use.

I have been using this for a month now, and my skin has really improved (break outs and skin tone)
Yes, it stinks a little bit, but I am used to it now, unfortunatedly my husband isn't Wink
hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:57 am      Reply with quote
These recipes are great.

I was thinking of making a concoction of:
-rosewater
-witch hazel
-vegetable glycerin
-aloe vera

That's all I can think of.

Is aloe vera a good ingredient for sensitive, but oily t-zone, acne prone skin?

And is it more beneficial to blend several natural ingredients, or can it be counter-active???
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Jouke wrote:
I have been using a moisturizing toner from Paula's Choice for some time, and I love it, but the bottle is always empty too quickly Embarassed
So I'd like to make one myself: a toner that moisturizes a little bit (but not too much because I have sensitive combination skin that is prone to break-outs) and that neutralizes the pH after cleansing.

Can someone help me with a DIY-recipe please?

Thanks a lot!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

I don't use toner personally, but I've made this one for others. Quick, easy, cheap + works well without being too drying;

8 oz spray bottle with nozzle
3 oz with hazel
5 oz distilled water

Because of your sensitive skin, if this is too strong, you can reduce the WH to 2oz and increase the water. You can also add in 1 tsp of glycerin or aloe, which are very soothing.

K

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I went out and bought a bottle of Rosewater, witch hazel and an essential oil (lemon) and mixed them all together. Then I tried to add the gel from an aloe vera plant I have at home...but the inside of the plant is so mucous-y and stringy. I couldn't get the aloe to blend in with the other ingredients.

Did I do something wrong??? Confused
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to keep it simple, I would recommend a base of 3/4 Rosewater or Orange Blossom Water, and 1/4 Witch Hazel.
You could make a large amount, and then divide into 3 or 4 oz. (90 - 120 ml.) bottles, and add3 drops of a specific EO to address a particular need.
For example for oily skin... cypress or tea tree.
For dryness, chamomile or rose would be soothing. The choices are endless!!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
hotiron123 wrote:
Ok, I went out and bought a bottle of Rosewater, witch hazel and an essential oil (lemon) and mixed them all together. Then I tried to add the gel from an aloe vera plant I have at home...but the inside of the plant is so mucous-y and stringy. I couldn't get the aloe to blend in with the other ingredients.

Did I do something wrong??? Confused

On your next batch, try dissolving the aloe in the withch hazel, and then add that to the other ingredients..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A,

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. It makes sense. What I had done was use a mortar and pestle to mash it in and then added an EO to it...the oil didn't help much lol. But I will definitely take you up on your suggestion!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
EEEEK! Why all the mashing + mortar and pestle?....

Just slice a leaf lengthwise and scrape out the gooshy gel.... Smile

hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:38 am      Reply with quote
lol...I don't know what I was thinking. Embarassed
I'm new at this.
jade321
5% products discount

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
This thread is old that I wonder if anyone is still following it. Face toner:
Dilute one part apple cider vinegar with 2 parts water as toner and use every day & night after cleansing face. Try it on a small portion of the face before starting the regimen. Increase the apple cider vinegar to max 2 parts if you find the mixture too mild.

On The Doctors Show today, a mask was made from a pink stomach relief medication to remove blotchiness from face.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:51 am      Reply with quote
I tried apple cider vinegar but the smell is not good on my face.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I also use apple cider vinegar (hate the smell though).

I fill a jar with:
1/3 apple cider vinegar
2/3 green tea (for redness)
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil (for moisture)

I used to add tea tree oil too but I found that it burned my face a little since I have sensitive skin.
FionaArbor

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
This is a fantastic recipe! Thanks : )

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use a separate toner, but cleanse my face with a concoction of:
rosewater
aloe vera
grape seed oil
green tea extract.

It is not strong enough to remove make up - I use coconut oil for that - but enough to remove ordinary dirt, and leaves my skin feeling silky.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |