Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
How do you clean your brushes?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
almomof2
5% products discount

Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
I had read to use shampoo, but I'm starting to think that I'm allergic or have reactions to the SLS that's in shampoos. If I am and now it's in my brush then I'm just wiping it all over my face everyday. How do you clean your brushes?

thanks-
Heather
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
I clean my brushes with facial cleansers that I no longer use.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
I just use liquid hand soap on a wet brush, swirl it around in my palm, rinse thoroughly, gently shake, and let air standing on the handle.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
I throw mine in the dishwasher. Hairbrush that is.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
I just use liquid hand soap on a wet brush, swirl it around in my palm, rinse thoroughly, gently shake, and let air standing on the handle.

me 2, a makeup artist teach me this is he best way to clean brush!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
I clean my with both ,shampoo and then the next time I use hand soap,If it;s the SLS find a face cleaner without it. PSF has a very nice face cleaner without SLS.I like the job that shampoo does , then let dry and fluff

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:15 am      Reply with quote
My make-up brush cleaning is a bit of a weekly ritual. I am in the bathroom with a glass bowl every Sunday morning. Cool

You can buy make-up brush cleaners (MAC or Napoleon) that you can use to clean brushes in between clients. The MAC one is a click-close bottle, but I like the the Napoleon as it's a spray bottle. You spray the cleaner onto a tissue (never directly onto the brush) and briskly swipe the brush back and forth on a flat surface to remove makeup residue.

I shampoo my brushes once every week with J&J baby shampoo as it's gentle enough and good for natural hair and synthetic brushes, and condition with Terax Crema. (I look after my brushes well like my own hair) Very Happy I wet each brush and swirl it in my palm to work the shampoo into it thoroughly like Tsjmom described, then squeeze out the shampoo. My foundation brush needs the most cleaning, at least two to three shampoos and rinses to get every skerrick of product out of the root of the brush as it's so compact. I rinse well under running tepid water, using copious amounts in the process (yes we are still in a drought says me to self Anxious ), shake the excess water off, then lay them on a handtowel on a table ledge with the brush head facing out to dry.

I was taught to never stand the brushes upright to dry as the water runs down into the base and can damage the wood and glue. Idea
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:21 am      Reply with quote
*Oops*

I just realised that this thread was for hair brush and not make-up brush cleaning! Brick wall Laughing
almomof2
5% products discount

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:04 am      Reply with quote
No!!Actually it is for makeup brushes but since I didn't say specifically I can see why someone would think that since I was talking about shampoo!! And I don't know how to edit my post!! lol~

Thank you!
Heather
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Oops! Makeup brushes I clean with liquid hand soap when they really need a good clean otherwise I use makeup forever brush cleaner.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:
I throw mine in the dishwasher. Hairbrush that is.

Sounds like a easy solution. I guess it's out of the picture for brushes with natural boar bristle tufts?
Seaera
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I also wash my makeup brushes with a gentle shampoo, rinse, and let dry sideways on a towel.
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I used the brush cleanser from Bobbi Brown.
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 am      Reply with quote
I bought Bare Escentuals make-up brush cleaner and it works well. It's a bit pricy though...and a make-up professional told me that using baby shampoo worked just as well. And it does!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:03 am      Reply with quote
I use Jane Iredale's brush cleaner and then lie them flat with the brush head lying over the shelf to dry. I can't remmeber where but I was once told never to stand brushes up to dry and all the water would run down in to the centre taking longer to dry and potentially damaging the brush.
ade
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:53 am      Reply with quote
I use brush cleaner of make up for ever.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
I use California Baby Shampoo for sensitive skin to clean my brushes. I bought this to try as a facial cleanser but didn't like it for that, but it makes a great brush cleaner. I may try Dr. Bronner's when I use up the CB stuff.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:46 am      Reply with quote
well, get another type of shampoo, that will do the trick.... As for me, I use either mild shampoo or any liquid antibacterial soap....

almomof2 wrote:
I had read to use shampoo, but I'm starting to think that I'm allergic or have reactions to the SLS that's in shampoos. If I am and now it's in my brush then I'm just wiping it all over my face everyday. How do you clean your brushes?

thanks-
Heather
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:54 am      Reply with quote
I use a brush cleanser in between fortnightly washes. It is so handy too for cleaning in between different colors. Otherwise baby shampoo or my hair shampoo (non SLS) works great.

Someone here said they dry their brushes standing up, but I have been told that it is best not to dry in a position that would cause water to seep into the brush handle area since that will gradually loosen the glue.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I clean my blush with blush cleanser.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I use baby shampoo to clean the brushes every now and then... After a while, the face powder tends to stick to the brush. It is a good habit to clean these and these brushes come in contact with your skin. A "dirty" skin is not good, tends to break-outs like acne....
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |