Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best thing for SUPER Dry Body Skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
I admit that I have completely neglected the skin all over my body. I will moisturize my face, but since there is so much skin all over my body and I cover it up immediately with clothes, I've gotten in the habit of just drying off after a shower and getting dressed.

My skin has now gotten to such a bad state, esp. with the dry winter air and indoor heating, etc. My hands are even starting to get very dry and cracked. It's embarrassing to say, but when I wear dark clothes and take them off, I can see tiny white specks of dead skin cells on them.

I know I need to start exfoliating my entire body regularly and to use an intensive moisturizer daily. I just don't know what the best type of body exfoliating there is or what the most hydrating oil or fat is for the body. Is it a dry exfoliation like skin brushes or a loofah, or in the shower with a sugar or salt scrub? How often should you do it? And for a body oil, what is best for the super dry skin, avocado oil or Shea butter? Or olive squalane?

Also, what can I do internally to help. I know I need to drink a LOT more water and eat more EFA's. Is there anything else I can do, eat or take in supplement form? Thanks!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to try the Gold Bond lotion. It is a great healing lotion, especially for dry and/or cracked skin!
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to reading this forum I got interested in oils. This led to my buying a few, though now I own about 7 or more! My favorite is avocado oil. I put it on my legs and anywhere there seems to be a lack of moisture. It works superbly. I tried mixing a few, but didn't like it as well. I have now given up my body lotions, etc. and use avocado oil only, except my face and neck. Try it, I think you'll like it.
carforum
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
I am now using crabtree & evelyn body lotion plus jojoba oil~ work very well~

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Second the Gold Bond lotion, cheap too. Kai is alot more expensive but smells divine and moisturizes very well too.
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
existential lady wrote:
Thanks to reading this forum I got interested in oils. This led to my buying a few, though now I own about 7 or more! My favorite is avocado oil. I put it on my legs and anywhere there seems to be a lack of moisture. It works superbly. I tried mixing a few, but didn't like it as well. I have now given up my body lotions, etc. and use avocado oil only, except my face and neck. Try it, I think you'll like it.

I was thinking about buying some oils myself. Is avocado oil expensive? And where do you get it-at a health food store?
chuck
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
My sister also uses Goldbond with wonderful results. She had large dry ,red areas that have now disappeared

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Atopalm has some excellent products.

Also, a body wash with oils or other hydrating elements could help. Lush has some butter cream body soaps that are crammed with 80% butters and oils (and 20% soap).

Oh, and it might help to drink more water, and take some omega 3/6 oils to moisturize the body from inside out.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I really really love my mix of 50/50 emu oil and SKB. Initially was just using on the face but now I put it all over, most of the time (trying to use up my old stock of body moisturisers on my legs). I buy SKB by the half gallon and emu by the litre, so it works out fairly economical.

I mix up a small bottle every week or two, and to apply pour some in the palm of my hand then spray with green tea (or plain water), then rub together and apply. I find the tea (or water) helps it to spread/absorb better. Am experimenting at the moment by adding a few drops each of pomegranate and helichrysum oil (now that stuff IS expensive!)

If I’m wearing a sleeveless top and want super smooth arms, I’ll use an AHA body moisturiser (I use PTR 12%), then follow with my emu/SKB mix.

Also, try adding some oil to your shower/body wash - I use emu, but I think pretty well any kind will do. I also use those nylon scrub gloves every day all over, they’re quick, easy and cheap. Using a body wash without SLS may also help. Some body washes are so harsh, they remind me of glorified dishwashing detergent, which they quite possibly are..
chinachatters
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:50 am      Reply with quote
[quote="angelwings1226"]

I was thinking about buying some oils myself. Is avocado oil expensive? And where do you get it-at a health food store?[/quote]

I converted to using avocado oil only from my neck down, too. I get it at the grocery store in salad oil section. It's about $12 a bottle.
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:55 am      Reply with quote
angelwings, I got my avocado oil from mountainherbs.com and love their oils, as do others on this forum. Someone had complained about turning green!!! from avocado oil. Mountainherbs' is not green and their oil, admittedly the only one I have tried, sinks in so well and leaves your skin quite suitable for angels and others!
Seaera
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Another tip is to add your lotion/oil or whatever you're using to moisturise right after stepping out of the shower and are still wet. Don't wait until you're dry. Smile
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Seaera wrote:
Another tip is to add your lotion/oil or whatever you're using to moisturise right after stepping out of the shower and are still wet. Don't wait until you're dry. Smile

Really? Interesting! What is the reasoning behind this? I would be interested in hearing it cuz I always like to try new things/techniques!
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and thank you girls for info on where to buy the oil. I will have to try it out. (And even though I dont like to be pale I definitely dont want to turn green! lol)
Bunny7475
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Burt's Bees Apricot Baby Oil, right out of the shower - smells great and keeps my skin soft and smooth for a long time.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Bunny7475 wrote:
Burt's Bees Apricot Baby Oil, right out of the shower - smells great and keeps my skin soft and smooth for a long time.

I second this! I have a spray bottle of this in my shower, and I douse myself from the neck down as soon as I turn off the water. The texture is very silky and the scent is gorgeous!!

Another one that I keep in the shower and just love is the Shea Body oil from Shea Terra Organics:
http://store.africansheabuttercompany.com/neshbosp.html

I have the madagascar vanilla and I just love it!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:

I just don't know what the best type of body exfoliating there is or what the most hydrating oil or fat is for the body. Is it a dry exfoliation like skin brushes or a loofah, or in the shower with a sugar or salt scrub? How often should you do it?

I see you have gotten a lot of suggestions for moisturizing, while it's been kind of quiet when it comes to exfoliating products Smile

The absolute best exfoliating product I've used is the Dermanew Crystal Resurfacing soap. It's very effective, easy and quick to use and it leaves the skin super smooth and ready for whatever moisturizer you prefer. I would use it as often as your skin can tolerate it in the beginning and when the soap is gone, so is probably also your dry skin.
I'm totally hung up on this because it's improved my skin so much in addition to getting rid of all my dry areas, and it's really no effort using it (and that's the words of a real slacker Laughing )

Well, good luck whatever you decide! I'm sure your skin will be back in great shape once taken a bit care of Smile

Cadia
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
Also, what can I do internally to help. I know I need to drink a LOT more water and eat more EFA's. Is there anything else I can do, eat or take in supplement form? Thanks!

The following works well for me;

INTERNAL; Hyaluronic Acid 100mg a day
Lots of water

EXTERNAL; Alba Sea Salt Body Scrub twice a week
(I use it with a loofah as the final
step after shower or bath)

The Hyaluronic Acid supplement is awesome. It even cleared up my dry crusty heels after about 10 days. That was a complete surprise!

HTH...Kassy Wink

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
l'occitane ultra rich body cream. It's a little like smearing yourself with Crisco, which I'll probably try next, as my skin is getting drier every year.
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
I think dry brushing the skin with natural bristle brush is incredibly affective.
I got min from the bodyshop and every morning I brush my body before getting in the shower.
It really stimulates the lymphatic system and is supposedly great for detoxing.
It certainly helps exfoliate anyway.
Here's a link
http://forums.vogue.com.au/showthread.php?t=255940
Seaera
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:
Seaera wrote:

Really? Interesting! What is the reasoning behind this? I would be interested in hearing it cuz I always like to try new things/techniques!

Angelwings: I'm not 100% positive about the reasoning behind it, but I believe it is to trap the added water from the shower water onto your skin. I heard this from a hairdresser years ago and she swore by it.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
regardless of type of creams/lotions you use, that Moisture after shower" is the best thing...

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
I always always moisturize my body after I shower-I cant stand not to! But I usually dry my body off before I apply the lotion. Guess Im gonna have to try it without drying off!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to add that I like to alternate with AHA body lotion. I use Lac-Hydrin 12% or Chantecaille Retinol body lotion.

Have you considered eating more fish or taking omega supplements?

All other advice on this thread are good also.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
I love Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion. It's moisturizing enough that you can use it as hand cream.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |