Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DRY HAIR
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
This question is for my friend-she says she's too busy to sign up and post herself. lol But she has dry hair and wants to know some cheap at home remedies to make her hair softer, shinier, and just generally more silky looking. She has thick hair (lucky!) and does dye it every so often. I told her the wonderful girls of EDS would for sure be able to give her some ideas! Very Happy
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I would recommend she use Giovanni's Leave In Conditioner. It is fantastic!! I have long, curly, dry hair and use it every day in leiu of the other 20 or so products I have sitting on my bathroom shelf. It is cheap, natural and absolutely the best hair-care product I've found in 20 years! I buy mine at the health food store, but you can get it online for even less.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
nette
5% products discount

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
I think we underestimate how much damage hair coloring does to hair. I didn't get my hair back into shape until I stopped coloring it. It took me a long, long time, lots of trial and error with shampoos and conditioners- and then finally experimenting with henna gloss (I'll try to find a link about that)so that my greys could fade into highlights. My hair was frizzy and dry and flat out embarrassing- and now, it feels so good I find myself driving down the road messing with my hair, just appreciating it.

What worked for me:
No color (not even Robert Craig)
natural shampoo without SLS
Condition-wash-condition
GPB conditioner from Aubrey Organics
Getting the old damage cut off

HTH
nette
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
nette wrote:
I think we underestimate how much damage hair coloring does to hair. I didn't get my hair back into shape until I stopped coloring it. It took me a long, long time, lots of trial and error with shampoos and conditioners- and then finally experimenting with henna gloss (I'll try to find a link about that)so that my greys could fade into highlights. My hair was frizzy and dry and flat out embarrassing- and now, it feels so good I find myself driving down the road messing with my hair, just appreciating it.

What worked for me:
No color (not even Robert Craig)
natural shampoo without SLS
Condition-wash-condition
GPB conditioner from Aubrey Organics
Getting the old damage cut off

HTH
nette

So get in the shower, condition your hair, wash it and then condition it again? Just making sure I am understanding you correctly! Smile
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Yes -- or, better. skip the washing part.

I haven't used shampoo in years. I condition only. The oils will "melt" the oils and product in your hair, and it will be moist and conditioned -- and clean.

I also color my hair every month, and it is thick, shiny, and grows like kudzu.

Avoid shampoo -- even SLS shampoo. Most conditioners have a little, too, but there are conditioners without them. Read your labels. Avoid alcohol in your products and peroxide in your color. These will all dry your hair out.

Also take evening primrose oil and omega supplements.

I am a fiber artist, and listen: Your hair is a protein fiber, like silk and wool. Can you imagine if you treated your silk camisoles and wool sweaters with detergents, alcohol, and bleach? You'd never wear them again. They'd be itchy, scratchy, ugly -- AND they'd fall apart. :-\

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
Yes -- or, better. skip the washing part.

I haven't used shampoo in years. I condition only. The oils will "melt" the oils and product in your hair, and it will be moist and conditioned -- and clean.

I also color my hair every month, and it is thick, shiny, and grows like kudzu.

Avoid shampoo -- even SLS shampoo. Most conditioners have a little, too, but there are conditioners without them. Read your labels. Avoid alcohol in your products and peroxide in your color. These will all dry your hair out.

Also take evening primrose oil and omega supplements.

I am a fiber artist, and listen: Your hair is a protein fiber, like silk and wool. Can you imagine if you treated your silk camisoles and wool sweaters with detergents, alcohol, and bleach? You'd never wear them again. They'd be itchy, scratchy, ugly -- AND they'd fall apart. :-\

Good point. She has thick hair, so she pobably could go without washing. I, on the other hand, have to wash at least every other day, otherwise my hair is WAY too oily. And its thin on top of that, so I just look like a homeless bum if I dont wash!
nette
5% products discount

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, in answer to the CWC method: It's condition-wash-condition, meaning you get your hair wet, condition, then shampoo, then condition again. As I understand it, it protects your dry ends from shampoo. But I don't do this as much since my hair recovered, and I'm careful not to get much shampoo on the ends. Another thing that has made a difference, I just remembered, is that I don't blow dry anymore. If you had told me a year ago I would be someone who didn't color and didn't blow dry her hair, I'd have never believed you. I used to blow dry to tame the frizzies and straighten. Now I have a shoulder length cut where I just scrunch as it drys and I end up with full almost-curly waves.
I have fine hair- so I think someone with thick hair like your friend may not have to do everything I did to get my hair back. Fine hair can be such a challenge- but I'm proof it can be done!
nette
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
nette wrote:
Yes, in answer to the CWC method: It's condition-wash-condition, meaning you get your hair wet, condition, then shampoo, then condition again. As I understand it, it protects your dry ends from shampoo. But I don't do this as much since my hair recovered, and I'm careful not to get much shampoo on the ends. Another thing that has made a difference, I just remembered, is that I don't blow dry anymore. If you had told me a year ago I would be someone who didn't color and didn't blow dry her hair, I'd have never believed you. I used to blow dry to tame the frizzies and straighten. Now I have a shoulder length cut where I just scrunch as it drys and I end up with full almost-curly waves.
I have fine hair- so I think someone with thick hair like your friend may not have to do everything I did to get my hair back. Fine hair can be such a challenge- but I'm proof it can be done!
nette

I have fine hair too and its curly. I never blow dry my hair. Is your hair thicker now, or is it still fine, just healthier? I will tell her about the CWC method. Smile
nette
5% products discount

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
My hair is still fine, but there's more of it and it has more body to it so it seems thicker, if that makes sense. I really think Aubrey's GPB conditioner is great for fine hair, which needs more protein than thick hair. I trade off between Trader Joe's Spa conditioner and the GPB, with occasional avocado oil overnight.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
A simple way to get a nice deep condition that has helped for me is melting down virgin coconut oil apply to dry, unwashed hair then wrap my head in saran wrap then a turban towel. Yes - an oh so chic look! Leave on for 30 minutes or so - then shampoo as normal. Happy, gleaming hair!

I do this about once a month.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:53 am      Reply with quote
when i use cwc, i apply the conditioner, leave it on... and smooth shampoo onto my roots. i gently work the shampoo into my scalp, then rinse both products (s&c) off at the same time. then i condition normally. it does protect your dry ends. i also use aubrey organics gpb... its a great line. the shampoo is a little strong for me, though. i still use the conditioner, as it is a wonderful cream. giovanni's leave in is an excellent product, as stated above: when i put it into my wet hair at night and sleep on it, my hair is baby-skin soft in the morning!
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
You may use olive oil or coconut oil for hair treatment.
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
In additional,I see Palmer's Olive Oil Formula Extra Conditioning for Dry Hair with Virgin Olive Oil only $4.49 inwww.drugstore.com.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Warm up some Olive Oil and leave it on over night. Wash out the next day and your hair will be wonderful. I have tried Jojoba, and many other oils, other companies products, yet nothing works like good old, inexpensive olive oil!!
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Yes,I'm agree with Feliz,but my english is very poor.I can't tell like that.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |