Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
To Tone or not to Tone-That is the question!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
So how important is using a toner in your daily skin care routine? I currently use one, but Im always in a hurry to either get out of the house to go to work or in a hurry to go to bed! So is a toner really necessary? Are there added benefits that I might not know about? Educate me. Very Happy
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use it, because I don't understand how it can help my skin. The way I see it is, if your cleanser leaves residue, then you need a toner to remove the residue. And then, I don't see the point of having that cleanser if it cannot do its job right in the first place.
hellobicycle

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
I believe 98% of the cleansers out there can make your face oily because they tend get rid of all the oil instead of the excessive oil on the face.

when your face lacks oil, it would start producing oil on its own and therefore your face would look oily even after using the cleanser.

so, using a toner after cleansing is a good idea to balance the pH on your face, to make it not oily.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
That is why I use Cetaphil.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
hellobicycle wrote:

so, using a toner after cleansing is a good idea to balance the pH on your face, to make it not oily.

My skin is less oily ever since I started using a toner. I use the Yonka Lotion PNG (Normal/Oily Skin).

5% products discount

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that my skin is less oily after using toner so I don't miss this step in my skincare routine.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have never been a toner person...lord knows I've tried! I just recently tried a spritz toner, instead of having to use a cotton pad. I was thinking it might be laziness Laughing

Alas, this toner dried my skin out, so I'm resigning myself to a toner-free existence. I've tried all kinds and not really seen results enough to make me continue to use it. But, this could all change, I'll probably try it again when I find a new toner to try. It's a vicious cycle Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
i only use my toner when it's hot and humid for a quick clean up in the middle of the day. i don't use it in my regular routine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
A toner is necessary to return your skin back to a neutral PH level after the cleanser leaves it at an acidic PH. There are threads about this subject in more detail. When the skin is neutral everything else put on after works better.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I have a dry skin and i really dont use a toner at all. I have tried it and makes my face feel dehydrated. I guess if you have oily skin then it is good for you.
ade
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:23 am      Reply with quote
I prefer to use the lotion.
However, I believe that this step is not obligatory. My mother and grandma have never use the toner or lotion, but their skins look well.
carforum
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:18 am      Reply with quote
I notice that most of the product using on a damp face will be more effective, so I always use a toner to keep my face damp and then apply cream, this work real good for my dry skin!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:33 am      Reply with quote
It's my understanding that a toner is not necessary if the pH of your cleanser is around 5.5 or so. It can be hard to determine the pH of your cleanser though unless you've got some of those testing strips handy. An EDS member not long ago was going to compile a list of the pH values of a lot of cleansers and put it in a thread here; I've been keeping an eye out for that. Dianna Yvonne has a list on her site which is helpful but some of the cleansers I'm curious about aren't included.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:46 am      Reply with quote
mamawalnut wrote:
It's my understanding that a toner is not necessary if the pH of your cleanser is around 5.5 or so. It can be hard to determine the pH of your cleanser though unless you've got some of those testing strips handy. An EDS member not long ago was going to compile a list of the pH values of a lot of cleansers and put it in a thread here; I've been keeping an eye out for that. Dianna Yvonne has a list on her site which is helpful but some of the cleansers I'm curious about aren't included.

I have bookmarked Tangal's post on products and wait times regarding actives. Your post reminded me about it so I'll repost it in case anyone is interested.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18360

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:58 am      Reply with quote
I always use one as its important to close pores and as one ages open pores are a nuisance especially when you wear make up. I only use rosewater as a toner which I find great but when I was younger I never used a toner just a cleanser and toner combined but I found a that it did not remove all the make up maybe its an individual thing!
VL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I use one without alcohol. I use Decleor's but I would recommend using pure rosewater (chilled in the fridge). Your skin will look lovely once you use rosewater.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
VL wrote:
I use one without alcohol. I use Decleor's but I would recommend using pure rosewater (chilled in the fridge). Your skin will look lovely once you use rosewater.

Sounds nice. And refreshing for the hotter months if chilled in the fridge. Smile Forgive me for being so ignorant about where to buy such things, but can rosewater be purchased at?
VL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
you are not ignorant...it is not widely talked about.

I think you should find it in any pharmacy store.

I keep the rosewater in the fridge even in winters. It closes the pores and is good chilled. The smell is divine too!

Hope this helps,
VL

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've only recently started using a toner in my nighttime cleansing routine, but after what I've seen, I plan on continuing! No matter what cleanser I used, I've been getting additional makeup residue come off on the cotton pad after using the toner. That's enough reason for me to contiue using it. It was actually a sample of the toner from Best Bath Store that got me started. I like it because it doesn't feel drying at all - it feels like it gives my face back some of the moisture that was taken away by the cleanser.
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
VL wrote:
Hi,
you are not ignorant...it is not widely talked about.

I think you should find it in any pharmacy store.

I keep the rosewater in the fridge even in winters. It closes the pores and is good chilled. The smell is divine too!

Hope this helps,
VL

Yes this does help, thank you. Very Happy And I can always use something that closes up my pores!
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Nymue wrote:
I've only recently started using a toner in my nighttime cleansing routine, but after what I've seen, I plan on continuing! No matter what cleanser I used, I've been getting additional makeup residue come off on the cotton pad after using the toner. That's enough reason for me to contiue using it. It was actually a sample of the toner from Best Bath Store that got me started. I like it because it doesn't feel drying at all - it feels like it gives my face back some of the moisture that was taken away by the cleanser.

Hmmmm..... Best Bath Store. I dont think Ive heard of it before.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:33 am      Reply with quote
angelwings1226 wrote:

I read about their website on here awhile back. They offer free samples, you just have to pay for shipping. I tried their facial bar, acne gel, dead sea salt exfoliator, and toner. I liked the exfoliator and toner the best.

Here's the link, if you want to take a look: http://www.bestbathstore.com/
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I never used to think toner was necessary, as I have drier skin as I get older, and old-school astringent-type toners were always for oily skin. But now I use a gentle alcohol-free toner to help re-balance the pH of my face, and I think it definitely helps.

The one I use is MyChelle's Fruit Enzyme Mist, and it smells divine and has lots of good antioxidant benefits for my skin. I notice that I break out more AND get flaky more when I skip it.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
angelwings1226
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Nymue wrote:
angelwings1226 wrote:

I read about their website on here awhile back. They offer free samples, you just have to pay for shipping. I tried their facial bar, acne gel, dead sea salt exfoliator, and toner. I liked the exfoliator and toner the best.

Here's the link, if you want to take a look: http://www.bestbathstore.com/

Thank you, I will have to check it out!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
I started using the BBS toner just because I had it lying around and wanted to use it up, but I think it does help to add some moisture to my dry skin. It helps to reduce the crepey lines under my right eye, which was my problem area (got these lines when I used to rub my right eye like crazy when it was itchy). It seems my skin looks more hydrated as well by adding the toner to my routine, but I have reduced the other stuff I put on my face, so the total time to get ready is only 5 minutes after I wash my face. My routine is pretty simple now. I think you can get away with just cleanse, tone, and moisturize in the morning.

RE: BBS products I've tried, I also like their toner the best. I can't use their shampoo. I'm allergic to something in it. I also don't find their body lotion hydrating enough for some reasons.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |