Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
What do you use for blackheads???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
toblerone
5% products discount

Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 38yrs old and have blackheads on my nose and chin and I hate them. I've tried Differin gel, Tazorac, Retisol A (tretonin), MA MA lotion and they all make me too flakey. I've also tried Avene Diacneal and Eluage with no real change.
What can I do to get rid of my pesky blackheads for good???

thanks!!
carforum
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I am now using Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, then Avene Ystheal+ wait 30 mins and then apply moisturizer. For this routine, I find this is the best way for me to get rid of blackheads.
I think using a low PH cleanser will help retin-a works better, and also remember wait 30mins before applying any moisturizer. HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi!

I used to have a real problem with blackheads on my nose until I started using Ice Elements. I cannot be sure exactly which products in the line that helped me the most, but I really do believe that it was the combination of the gentle, hydrating creme cleanser, the ultra-hydrating Anti Aging serum, the moisturizer and the 2 minute miracle exfoliation gel.

I am not saying that you have to use Ice Elements to get the same results (although I highly recommend them)... but that what is most likely needed is a move towards more hydration and gentle exfoliation.

A lot of times those of us who have blackheads get into a cycle of using harsh products to remove the blackheads which actually often strip and dry out the skin... which is often the cause of blackheads in the first place... so any gains that are made are temporary.

It may take a bit longer to get rid of the blackheads by using a gentler regimin and depending on your particular skin some may have to be extracted, however changing over to hydrating, gentle products will help ensure that once they are gone they are gone.

Good luck and take care.
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Dermalogica's Daily Microfoliant works great for black heads. What I found that helped was I scrub it gently all over my face, neck, and chest,leave it on for about 5 min. then rinse.

I also get a facial every 6-8 weeks. This helps a lot too.
toblerone
5% products discount

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Are there some good drugstore products that can help? What's a good cleanser to use?

thanks!
laurabeth
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Definately find a good BHA to deep exfoliate your pores and keep them clear. This is something you would apply everyday to get them clean and keep them clean. I have tried many brands and recently bought from
ifeelprettyproducts.com[url]
She has products with the right (low) ph and her cleansers are 5.5 ph which will also help.
I haven't used them yet but many have raved about her.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
i used to have some unslightly blackheads and waged a war that included scrubs, biore strips, peel off masks. it was painful but it worked but i think all the manual exfoliation and tugging on my skin was not good. i started using retinol (skinceuticals and now i use perfect complexion's retinol serum) and virtually all black heads and my pores are tiny. i recommend a retinol product to win the blackhead battle but remember to always use a sunscreen as retinol makes the skin more sensitive.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Dermalogica Microfoliant is a fabulous product and still one of my favourites. That and a vitamin C serum make a huge difference to my skin. Still, the best product against blackheads for my skin has been the Dr Hauschka cleansing cream. It's a bit involved and, like all skincare, not suitable for everyone, but the results are fantastic!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I'm trusting my medication to help keep my blackheads easy to be removed and exfoliating on regular basis.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
If topicals like acids are not working, I'd suggest a mud mask to draw out the impurities building up in you pores. Don't get a product with lots of fillers, additives or fragrance. You can even get some pure kaolin clay and add water to make a paste. Use a light layer at first as clay is very drawing, it can bring out pimples in the cleansing process.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Jan Marini Bioglycolic Bioclear cream worked wonders on my blackheads. Kept my nose really clear.

Yes, I'm speaking in past tense...see my post on "Trying new products" to read why I'm not using it anymore...haha.

But I really recommend this product. I loved the cream and it lasted a really long time...so it turned out to be economical as well.

5% products discount

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:03 am      Reply with quote
carforum wrote:
I am now using Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, then Avene Ystheal+ wait 30 mins and then apply moisturizer. For this routine, I find this is the best way for me to get rid of blackheads.
I think using a low PH cleanser will help retin-a works better, and also remember wait 30mins before applying any moisturizer. HTH

What are some good low PH cleansers?
toblerone
5% products discount

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Bosoxy wrote:
Hi!

I used to have a real problem with blackheads on my nose until I started using Ice Elements. I cannot be sure exactly which products in the line that helped me the most, but I really do believe that it was the combination of the gentle, hydrating creme cleanser, the ultra-hydrating Anti Aging serum, the moisturizer and the 2 minute miracle exfoliation gel.

I am not saying that you have to use Ice Elements to get the same results (although I highly recommend them)... but that what is most likely needed is a move towards more hydration and gentle exfoliation.

A lot of times those of us who have blackheads get into a cycle of using harsh products to remove the blackheads which actually often strip and dry out the skin... which is often the cause of blackheads in the first place... so any gains that are made are temporary.

It may take a bit longer to get rid of the blackheads by using a gentler regimin and depending on your particular skin some may have to be extracted, however changing over to hydrating, gentle products will help ensure that once they are gone they are gone.

Good luck and take care.
Bosoxy.

should I be looking for products for oily skin? combination? Dry? I tend to get really dry in the cheeks and I can't use mineral makeup, because it accentuates any dry skin I have - so do I need more hydration? How do I get more hydration without getting oily?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:36 am      Reply with quote
toblerone wrote:
Bosoxy wrote:
Hi!

Good luck and take care.
Bosoxy.

should I be looking for products for oily skin? combination? Dry? I tend to get really dry in the cheeks and I can't use mineral makeup, because it accentuates any dry skin I have - so do I need more hydration? How do I get more hydration without getting oily?

Getting enough moisture without oiliness is a challenge for many. I know that I'm still trying to figure it out...I might balance my skin in the summer, but once winter rolls around I have to adjust. I concentrate moisturizing in my drier areas which tend to be everywhere else but my t-zone (and even then sometimes I'll have dryness there...oy!).

Are you dry all over? Or oily in some spots and not on your cheeks? It'll take some trial and error on your part, so once you get some products you want to try, search for samples before investing in full sizes.

The key is to not strip your skin. I used to think because I was oily I needed my entire skincare range for oily skin...OVERKILL!!! I learned I was more combination and needed to have a cleanser that was more gentle than I thought, I need a moisturizer in my drier spots (but one that is oily free and not too rich), but I also need to treat my acne and oily areas. I stopped using oil control products because it was too much.
It's all about balance, IMHO, but balance for me won't necessarily be a good balance for you.

5% products discount

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:28 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
toblerone wrote:
Bosoxy wrote:
Hi!

Good luck and take care.
Bosoxy.

Getting enough moisture without oiliness is a challenge for many. I know that I'm still trying to figure it out...I might balance my skin in the summer, but once winter rolls around I have to adjust. I concentrate moisturizing in my drier areas which tend to be everywhere else but my t-zone (and even then sometimes I'll have dryness there...oy!).

Are you dry all over? Or oily in some spots and not on your cheeks? It'll take some trial and error on your part, so once you get some products you want to try, search for samples before investing in full sizes.

The key is to not strip your skin. I used to think because I was oily I needed my entire skincare range for oily skin...OVERKILL!!! I learned I was more combination and needed to have a cleanser that was more gentle than I thought, I need a moisturizer in my drier spots (but one that is oily free and not too rich), but I also need to treat my acne and oily areas. I stopped using oil control products because it was too much.
It's all about balance, IMHO, but balance for me won't necessarily be a good balance for you.

I think I'm probably more dry than oily. Every time I get a facial, they say I'm dehydrated (and I drink a lot of water). After a shower, my face is tight.
So...that being said, I should probably use something for dry skin and use something for the blackhead only on my nose, chin, and cheeks (just under the eyes - I get a lot of blackheads there).
I'm trying to book a facial for Friday or Saturday and see if I can get the pores clear and start from "fresh"
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:03 am      Reply with quote
My pores have gotten much better since I started using a BHA (Paula's Choice 2% gel), an AHA (Alphahydrox 12% souffle), and a manual exfoliant (Epidermx and Clarisonic).

But I have to restrain myself from going overboard with all the exfoliation, because my skin gets dehydrated.

My skin has cleared up considerably. I still get a pimple like once a week. The bad thing now is the pigmentation that has been left behind from my year and a half of acne madness. Also my fresh pimples leave marks. The AHA helps with fading the dark marks but even still they stay for ages.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
what i have noticed since starting Renova almost 2 months ago, is that it seems like the black heads are rising to the surface and then are extremely easy to either wash off with a washcloth or gently extract, and they come right out - I swear it is the coolest thing - I am such a geek - getting excited about black heads!!!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
toblerone wrote:

What can I do to get rid of my pesky blackheads for good??? thanks!!

I don't know of anything that would work 'for good', but the following WORKS, when the need arises.

Steam your cleansed face over a pot of boiled water for 10 or 15 minutes (reheating as necessary). While your face is still moist, get in front of a magnifying mirror, and using a 14kt gold wedding band, press and drag the back part of the ring along your problem spots. Pimples, blackheads + whiteheads will be extracted, without any damage to the skin. For really problem skin, extra steaming is necessary.

I swear to God this works unbelievably. Please try it, and share your great results with us.

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
toblerone
5% products discount

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
toblerone wrote:

What can I do to get rid of my pesky blackheads for good??? thanks!!

I don't know of anything that would work 'for good', but the following WORKS, when the need arises.

Steam your cleansed face over a pot of boiled water for 10 or 15 minutes (reheating as necessary). While your face is still moist, get in front of a magnifying mirror, and using a 14kt gold wedding band, press and drag the back part of the ring along your problem spots. Pimples, blackheads + whiteheads will be extracted, without any damage to the skin. For really problem skin, extra steaming is necessary.

I swear to God this works unbelievably. Please try it, and share your great results with us.

Kassy

Thanks Kassy!! I'll have to give that a try - maybe tonight!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
toblerone wrote:

I promise you won't be disappointed. Just drag the ring slowly and with pressure, you won't believe the gunk that comes out..

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
toblerone wrote:

I promise you won't be disappointed. Just drag the ring slowly and with pressure, you won't believe the gunk that comes out..

Kassy

I think using this gadget would be easier.
I have one similar to this from Earth Therapeutics.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/tweezerman-no-slip-skin-c-p_7668.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:46 am      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
toblerone wrote:

Kassy

I think using this gadget would be easier.
I have one similar to this from Earth Therapeutics.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/tweezerman-no-slip-skin-c-p_7668.htm

I never used it so I can't judge, but I'll stick to the ring for my occassional pore cleaning. It's quick, safe + works fantastic!

laurabeth
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
To learn about ph, product application, wait time between products, and what products have a good ph range go to:
"Info on ph and product application wait time"
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18360&highlight=

This and other posts have helped me choose my products and make a routine that I'm still tweaking Wink
Laura

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
azumma wrote:
I don't know.

As with everything in life; 'to each his own'. I'm only sharing what has worked in my experience, and worked amazingly WELL.

Kassy

System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |