Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
BECCA SPF 30 Mineral Primer - Absolutely Outstanding Product
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:15 am      Reply with quote
This is the SPF product that I have been patiently waiting for someone to create!! Chemical-free SPF protection, (17% zinc-oxide), lightweight, elegant, doesn't make your skin too white, not too thick or greasy, just fabulous!!

It is being marketed as a primer, but MUA has it listed as a sunscreen - I think you can place it in either catagory. It is beautiful alone, under minerals, whatever you normally use!

What I love about it is it has a lot of the attributes of the Japanese sunscreens (Sofina, Sunkiller) in that it is somewhat mattifying (but not as much as the Japanese ones), has a thin consistency, but No Chemicals! (which the Japanese ones do have!)

I have been looking forever for a mineral SPF that is sheer, doesn't make me look like a ghost, helps hide the pores, but also doesn't dry me out or give me the flakies nor make me look like a greaseball! This also has a beautiful fragrance, has antioxidants like vitamins A, E, Green tea & White tea, and is oil free.
I am generally not one to post how much I love a product unless I am 100% positive that it's the best one out there. You can read all of the ingredients on Becca's site and buy it from them directly. Finally, a HG product that I know I will continue to use and endorse!!
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review! This sounds like it might be a very nice product. I am a big fan of Sofina sunscreens but wish that they were not so drying. Is the Becca Primer at all drying? Also, do you have any idea what variety of zinc oxide (Brand name, particle size, coated or uncoated) they are using in this?
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
No, it is definitely not too drying - that's one of the beauties of it. You don't get the "Flakies" around your nose or that tight feeling on the forehead, if you know what I mean. But, it does help to mattify the skin, similar to the Sofina sunblocks. That's why I am so excited about it - I've been looking (FOREVER) to find an SPF sunblock with ZO that was similar to a Sofina finish without the chemicals. Sofina frustrates me because it has Zinc Oxide but also a chemical as well - I feel they should have just kept it with Zinc Oxide only, THEN it would be perfect. Now, Becca recently created what I have always wished Sofina would be. And it's interesting that they market it as a primer, which is what a lot of people use Sofina for.

Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of zinc oxide it is, that's a good question but unfortunately I can't answer it.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply. The more I hear about this product the better it sounds!

I really have not made up my mind on whether all zinc oxide sunscreens are the best option but I won't launch into a discussion of that issue here! Wink I did email Becca Cosmetics to inquire about the zinc oxide used in the primer and will post any information that I receive.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, My vote is for EDS to carry Becca!
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
That would be neat if EDS carried Becca! Although this is the only one of their products I have tried so far.........

I'm thinking that I should have entitled this thread "BECCA SPF 30 Primer - Better than Sofina".

That would have gotten people's attention!
Frangipani
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review Girlzmommie. This sounds like a great sunscreen.

I have an olive skin tone - do you think it is likely to leave a white cast on darker skin tones?

I have been using Megan Gale's tinted invisible zinc - which I think is great. But of course I am always looking for something better.
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
No, I think it would be fine for darker tones.

I actually put a very small drop of Lucrece's SPF 30 sunscreen (tinted) into the Becca (and mix it on a spoon with my finger) just to make extra sure there isn't a white tone (the Lucrece is also with ZO so I haven't mixed in something new). But there really is very little white to begin with. You could always do that as well, or add a drop of Dr. Haushka bronzer, etc.

Hope that helps!
Frangipani
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

Looks like I will be heading out to a Becca counter soon.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie wrote:
That would be neat if EDS carried Becca! Although this is the only one of their products I have tried so far.........

This may be slightly off topic but I consider the Becca Loose Powder to be one of my makeup must haves. In all honesty I have found loose powders that are finer milled than the Becca but the Becca is a very nice powder to use by itself when not wearing foundation. I am very pale and use the shade eggshell. This is one of the few powders that matches the shade of my skin even though the color tone is not a 100% match. Yet is is so light in color that despite it not being a perfect match it still looks very nice. Odd that something that is not quite right is something that I find myself repurchasing and using often. Maybe it is closer to perfect than I think. Wink

I also tried one of the Becca lip glosses but that irritated my lips (I do have very senstive skin).
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi H.Kitty -

It sounds like you live near a store that sells Becca. I actually had to purchase the Primer through the mail because there isn't any stores near me that sells their line. I actually had a sample of the Primer sent to me first before I dived in and bought a tube.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review girlzm, it sounds lovely! Sorry if I missed it, what is your skintype?

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
lemming, lemming, lemming!!!!
im going to try to hold off until ive finished all my rise uv and perfect uv though....

im curious to know your skintype too- is this ok for acne prone types?
amami aya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
oh and another question! would i need a cleansing oil to get this stuff off at night?
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:49 am      Reply with quote
OK, well my skintype I guess is oily, with larger than average pores, a lot of sun damage (I'm 42), sort of a yellow-ish skin tone, a lot of wrinkling under the eyes.

When I use Retin-A (which I am not consistent with because it makes me more oily & I feel it inflames my pores) then I will get the flakies/dryness. How am I doing in describing my skintype (I have never done this before). TMI or just right? Very Happy

I have never had acne, so that I can't help with, but this stuff is definitely not your heavy, occlusive, pore-clogging type product, so I assume it would be fine for those with acne.

I use Paula's Choice Cleanser for dry skin, never a problem getting the Becca off. Keep in mind, this product is thin, not thick and heavy, so you don't need the big guns to wash it off. Just think of the consistency of the Japanese sunscreens but a little less drying - never had a problem washing those off, either.

Hope that helps!
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie wrote:
Hi H.Kitty -

It sounds like you live near a store that sells Becca. I actually had to purchase the Primer through the mail because there isn't any stores near me that sells their line. I actually had a sample of the Primer sent to me first before I dived in and bought a tube.

Despite the fact that I live near a major city, I have not been able to find any stores that carry Becca products! Sad

Quote:
When I use Retin-A (which I am not consistent with because it makes me more oily & I feel it inflames my pores) then I will get the flakies/dryness.

Can you explain in more detail what you mean when you say that RetinA "inflames your pores"? Also, what formula and strenght of RetinA do you use?
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Retina A - OK, well basically I have two separate prescriptions for it from two different dermatologists with two different philosophies..

The first doc feels it's important to start out very slowly, weakest strength, work your way up to stronger over the gradual course of a year (keep in mind, I'm 41, no acne, this is strictly for anti-aging). He gave me a script for .025 Tretinoin Cream, got it at my local pharmacy, insurance covered it.

Second doc has a more aggressive approach, gave me a script for Retin-A micro gel at .1%, also got at pharmacy via insurance.

No matter which one I use (at night, followed about an hour later with a moisturizer), the next day or two my pores seem bigger, irritated, inflamed. I know that we cannot "shrink" our pores, but there has been no question in my mind that whenever I have used either strength this is what I will wake up to. So, sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't, depends on my mood.

I realize that everyone swears this is the best stuff for anti-aging on the planet, I just personally haven't seen it.
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
do you put the sunscreen over moisturizer? and below foundation? yikes - that's a lot of stuff on my face.

until I started reading this forum, I only used some drugstore moisturizer and a little loose powder. Let's just say that my makeup box is a little more full than it used to be. You're all bad influences! (but boy does my skin look good.....)
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
No, I don't put moisturizer on first (mostly because my skin can get oily throughout the day). This isn't super-drying, it's pretty balanced.

It's also a very thin consistency, somewhat sheer, definitely not thick, so it would be fine with a powder or liquid on top. I know some people don't wear anything over it but I do.
hahaqj
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
This brand is 75% off on sale in sephora last year. I regret I didn't buy anything.
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, the SPF primer is brand new - they just started producing it so don't feel bad about not getting it from Sephora - they didn't have this item then!

I haven't tried anything else from the line.....
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie, do u notice that the Becca Primer make your pores smaller too? hhm...Would u also happen to know the PPD for this? since it's SPF 30? Thanks. Very Happy
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - I wouldn't necessarily say they look "smaller", but this product fills them in pretty nicely, similar to Sofina, helps to mattify, if that makes sense.

I have no idea about the PPD, it has 17% ZO if that helps.

BTW - now that I have discovered this product I was finally able to purchase an SKII Airtouch system, which I had always wanted to do but waited until I had the sunblock thing figured out (I wanted a nice, sheer, physical SPF that wasn't going to make me extra oily to wear under the Airtouch). So, after a year of searching, I feel that I finally have it all together. Now it's just a matter of getting the right SKII color, which is what I am currently focusing on.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie,
I too am going to order the Airtouch, was planning on doing it today but I'm worrying about the color. I may just bite the bullet and order anyway. I'll be interested to hear what you figure out. Sorry about the hijack.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
No problem - the whole reason I have dedicated the last year of my life to finding a good, sheer, mattifying as possible physical sunblock (a.k.a. Becca's) was really for the SKII purchase!

I got the airtouch last week - I got BP4 (the rosy toned medium) because OP3 was really light, bright & yellow/golden looking to me (although apparently it's the most popular color outside of Japan where they have more colors). Anyway, I went with the BP4 and now plan to exchange the BP4 refills I bought for the BR6's, because even though I am very fair & yellow toned the Becca does leave a slight bit of a whitish cast (any physical sunblock will, but Becca's leaves the least that I have tried) and I am hoping the BR6 will give me more color/glow. The BP4 is kinda pink, not screamy so, I've seen foundations that are way pinker (Chanel's, most European lines in general, a lot of the cheap ones in drugstores, etc.) but I think I am going to go for the BR6 - people on MUA seem to like it as well.

Hope that schpeil helps.......
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |