Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Professional steam iron....have you got one?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
wire

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:47 am      Reply with quote
I just don't like ironing so I thought that maybe one of those professional super duper steam irons with the attached water vessel may make it easier and quicker for me.

Does any one have one of those super steam irons that shoots out all that steam?

Suppose to be able to iron jackets, delicates and curtains. (I wish all at once Smile )

Just wanted to ask, if you have one, are you happy with it, was it worth the cost (some up to $500 or more) but mostly, does it do a brilliant iron and quickly, like the professionals?

Thanks for any feedback. Just trying to decide if it really is worth the cost o I'm just kidding myself.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I'm so glad you posted this! I HATE ironing, and I'm terrible at it to boot -- I often burn stuff or iron in deeper creases than I had to start with. Laughing I've wanted one of those professional steam irons ever since my first clothing retail job in high school, when I saw them using one on the merchandise. It was SO easy and fast!

I'd love to hear people's feedback on this. My boyfriend's mom loaned me a small "travel steamer" when he and took a trip and he needed to have his suit pressed, since we weren't sure if our hotel would be able to do it for us in time. I tried using it but it was NOT AT ALL quick and easy -- so while I haven't tried the full-size professional one, I can say that cutting corners and getting a smaller, "reduced-capacity" one is not a good solution, IMO.

I'm very curious to know if anyone's tried the whole nine yards. It's a big purchase, but I think it would be worth it. I keep holding off until I have a job that requires me to wear nicer stuff, since my last few jobs have been very casual -- but I have an interview this Friday with a potentially more formal place, so maybe I'll spring for one if I get it!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
wire

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi ginnielizz, I'm not so good at it either and have been sending it out for the past year but alas, it all adds up to more $$$ and I'm in need of a NuFace Wink

I was more thinking of the steam irons that actually look like the normal ones (still use an ironing board) that have a 2ltr vessel of water and that projects the steam a lot stronger than an ordinary iron does. My ironing lady has one but I don't think it would be appropriate for me to ask her.

I know the one you're referring to. The stand up one that the boutiques use. They look great but I'm not sure how they would work around the collars and lapels. Also, I think you need to hold onto the bottom of the hanging garment and bring the steam head down/up/around, it wouldn't take me too long before I burnt my fingers Shock

PS: Good luck with you job interview
lynnec
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
I used a steamer for years at the clothing store I worked at, but I finally just got my own steamer- I ordered one at the beginning of Dec. and it arrived 2 days ago. I've gone on a laundry binge- everything I own is steamed and hung nicely. I love it!!

I've used the steam iron you're describing and I much prefer the steamer. It does a much nicer job on the garment, and I've never had a problem getting my collars or lapels crisp. I think the steamer is far superior to an iron for doing things like delicate blouses and skirts that have pleating or a bit of a poof- it just perks them right up!

Check out jiffysteamer.com. Mine cost about $250 by the time you add in shipping and customs costs, and I think it was worth every penny!
Mabsy

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have a Karcher steam machine and this came with an iron attachment as well. To be honest, I don't know if I've used it a few times even. I didn't find it all that easier or quicker (though apparently it helps if you have a "special" ironing board but I wasn't going to go that far) and the one thing that keeps me from using this regularly is the set up time and the wait time for the machine to heat up and generate the steam/pressure.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for responding all. Very Happy

So far lynne & ginnielizz are pro for the stand up nozzle style. Mabsy, thanks for the info on the one you have, me thinks I too would not be bothered to go through all the set up stuff either.

Hmm, still thinking although I will make a point of spending some time to chat to the ladies who work in the fashion boutiques and get their opinions.

Meanwhile, the ironing basket is getting bigger and we are running out of pressed clothes Laughing

Cheers!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Hehe, well, if I beat you to purchasing a stand-up one, I'll definitely post and let you know how I like it. If I wind up getting this more buttoned-up job, I think it'd be worth it. (And call me crazy, but I can't WAIT to start wearing suits again! I love formal business clothes, but I just haven't had a reason to wear them for several years. I'll have to lose weight to even fit into my old suits, haha -- good motivation though!)

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
wire

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:11 am      Reply with quote
Good on ya ginnielizz, I'm sure suits look great on you!

I'm probably 3 weeks out from buying one as I am caught up at the moment but boy, that ironing basket just keeps on getting bigger and bigger!

And just to show how bad/slack I am, I have been known to zip out and purchase (husband mainly) boxers and shirts...freshly ironed and ready to go of course!!! Bad Grin
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Cool, well let us know how it goes! I had selected a model that I put on my wish list ages ago, and it was this one:

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp02481-0085.html

Whoa, and I just noticed it's on sale! Anyway, I'll be eager to hear your results. Smile

wire

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:53 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link ginnielizz. That's a good price.

Unfortunately for me, I am not from US so the voltage is unsuitable (Ausie) however there is a Jiffy Co here and the prices are way higher.

Still, it is definitely on my list around the end of Feb....am currently ironing shirts... :-&
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:31 am      Reply with quote
You probably saw this, but just in case you didn't: If you scroll down on that link, they have about six different power configurations that you can order, with different regions (and a little picture for each plug/voltage type, which I thought would be helpful). It's surprisingly universal, it would seem. So it might not work for you still, but I think it's worth checking out!

Who knows how long the sale lasts, but I just figured I'd point it out. I don't know what configuration Australia has, but I see both Spain and the UK in their little pictures!

wire

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Thanks ginnielizz, I saw it !! Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I have a Laura Star steam iron - I got sucked in late one night watching this lady on the TV shopping channel racing through a whole pile of ironing in seconds!

I am glad I bought it, it's much better than the ordinary irons - for one, it sits flat on the water base thingy and therefore isn't as easy to knock off the ironing board. Plus, you don't have to stop every 5 mins to fill the iron with water - one fill of the base usually lasts the whole session and it belches out lots of dry steam.

The downside is that it is still ironing. I did once buy a portable steamer - the demonstrator in the shop was doing wonders with it. However, it didn't work for me so it was back to the ironing - maybe the heavy duty stand up ones are better.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi Wire,

I just noticed you're in Oz - I am too. The Laura Star I purchased was from TVSN and was around AUD$500 but one advantage of buying from TVSN is that you can make monthly payments. Check outwww.tvsn.com.au

Carol
wire

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi Keliu, thanks for your comments. Just finished ironing 7 of my husbands shirts and I started at 8.30pm and now its 11pm Exclamation

OK, I did have a few (a lot) breaks and a couple of reds to ease my pain Wink

Will check out the site....ahhh, the evils of TV shopping channels...I got sucked in last week and bought one of those twirly dusters... Rolling Eyes
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have a stand up steamer becuase I hate ironing as well.
It doens't work too well on clothes, and its annoying becuase it doesn't feel ergonomically correct when you have your clothing item hanging from the stand and your trying to steam it. I only use it for my bed sheets now (I love having wrinkly free sheets) and steaming pillows. Other than that its crap. It only works well on light cotton or jersey clothing. It isnt at all as easy as it looks in the informertial!

I bought an iron by Conair, it is digital and is 1500 watts- that works beautifully on my clothes and gets the wrinkles out and nice creases with one pass.
If your looking at getting a good iron make sure that it is at least 1500 watts, or else they are crap!
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Hmm my mom is looking to get one...
wire

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl, thanks for your comments. I had a feeling that at the end of the day, those stand up-right steamers would be good for sheets, curtains and lounge chairs (fabric of course) but not so great with clothes. I'm still leaning toward the flat iron with the large water/steam bowl....wish I could just try one out for a week and return it if I don't like it Very Happy
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
I have a stand up steamer becuase I hate ironing as well.
It doens't work too well on clothes, and its annoying becuase it doesn't feel ergonomically correct when you have your clothing item hanging from the stand and your trying to steam it. I only use it for my bed sheets now (I love having wrinkly free sheets) and steaming pillows. Other than that its crap. It only works well on light cotton or jersey clothing. It isnt at all as easy as it looks in the informertial!

I bought an iron by Conair, it is digital and is 1500 watts- that works beautifully on my clothes and gets the wrinkles out and nice creases with one pass.
If your looking at getting a good iron make sure that it is at least 1500 watts, or else they are crap!

What a bummer! Do you mind sharing what model stand-up you have?

Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
I was looking at the TOBY and went to an "as seen on tv" store and checked it out. Then I went to Walmart and they had a very similar version for $90- the steamers were identical- except for the color. The one from walmart is called the SALSTON. I bought the Salston instead b/c I tried the Toby at the store and they worked exactly the same.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Good to know. I'll have to try and track down somewhere that offers in-store models to test after your review -- glad to read this, thanks!

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |