Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
skin care ingredients
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I have tried to find search for a thread that talks about what various skin care ingredients are but I couldn't find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am specifically wondering about:

stearic acid
cetanol
isopropyl myristate
potassium hydroxide

I am 38 and I still struggle with acne. I can't use certain ingredients because I'm nursing. This has caused lots of problems with my acne because I can't seem to get it totally under control. I also try to use as many natural products as possible. I came across this pearl cream (Ly-Na Pearl Cream) in an asian store so I'm curious about it. I know pearl powder is good for the skin but it's the other ingredients I want to make sure are OK.

Thanks!
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Stearic acid - Stearic acid comes from many animal and vegetable fats and oils. It is a waxy solid. Its name comes from the Greek word stéar (genitive: stéatos), which means tallow. Stearic acid is useful as an ingredient in making candles, soaps, plastics, oil pastels and cosmetics, and for softening rubber. Stearic acid is used to harden soaps, particularly those made with vegetable oil. Fatty acids are a carboxylic acid with a long unbranched aliphatic tail (chain), which is either saturated or unsaturated. Fatty acids derived from natural fats and oils may be assumed to have at least 8 carbon atoms. Most of the natural fatty acids have an even number of carbon atoms, because their biosynthesis involves acetyl-CoA, a coenzyme carrying a two-carbon-atom group. (source: 3dchem)

Cetnol - Cetylachohol (INCI name: Cetyl Alcohol). Cetanol (C 16H33=H) is a white, firm wax which melts at 48°C. Not water soluble but easy to dissolve in alcohol, ether or fatty oils. Traditionally obtained from the sperm whale but now taken from the palm oil fatty acid (palmitic acid) C16H33COOH, which is treated with liquid gas so the free oxygen (0) atom is removed. Cetylalcohol makes creams and lotions firmer and gives them consistency. It stabilises emulsification and its cosmetic effect is to make the skin soft and smooth. (source: organic salon)

Isopropyl myristate - Isopropyl myristate is used in cosmetic and topical medicinal preparations where good absorption through the skin is desired. (source: wikipedia)

Potassium Hydroxide - It is a major industrial chemical used as a base in a wide variety of chemical processes. Some uses of KOH include acrylate ester copolymer coating, defoaming agents used in the manufacture of paper , saponifying oils for liquid soap, formulation aid for food, pH control agent, polyethylene resins, textile processing and as a catalyst in reactions like the production of biodiesel. (source: potassiumhydroxide.com)

Im layman terms?

Stearic acid & cetanol are emulsifiers

Isopropyl myristate - aids absorption

Potassium Hydroxide - lye (used to make soap)

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865, your answers here are very good and right on target. I might be able to add a little more.

Stearic Acid is a highly used cosmetic raw material. You will almost always find it in lotions partly as an emulsifier and partly to add "body" to the cream or lotion. It is almost always neutralized with a "base" (high pH material), and that material could be Triethanolamine (TEA) or even sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. I believe that if ellyp saw these ingredients all in the same formula, then the potassium hydroxide is in the formula as a neutralizer for the stearic acid. Stearic acid is also used in old fashioned style "fatty acid" soaps. These types soaps often use a combination of stearic acid, myristic acid, Oleic acid, and palmitic acid, all neutralized with sodium or potassium hydroxide to form a soap. Soaps of this type leave you skin "squeaky clean" and are very popular in Japan and Asia.

Cetyl Alcohol is also a very popular cosmetic ingredient, and yes, it will be part of the emulsifier system in creams and lotions.

Isopropyl Myristate is also an emollient, but it is a low priced, and rather low function emollient. You generally find this material in low priced lotions and creams, where the manufacturer couldn't, or didnt' want to pay for better emollients.

Hope this extra information helps!

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, you two are awesome -- thanks!! It's so ironic that you both would be the ones to answer my question. Candy, I have been trying to get my personal budget in order so I can order a bunch of skin care products from you. I have been thinking about you a lot lately because of it and, lo and behold, you are the first to answer my question! It's a sign. Very Happy

John, based on your recommendation of Jojoba Esters and Gold Bond lotion, I bought some for my mother-in-law last spring. I am trying to only use natural products so I didn't want to buy any for myself. Well, my MIL loves the lotion! I tried it too and immediately went out to buy some.

We live in Colorado and it is verrrrry dry here. I bought a big bottle of the lotion and put one in all my bathrooms. I have been working on my young sons so that they put some on after they wash their hands every time. Lately, they have been crying because their hands hurt them due to extreme dryness and cracking. I have given up on them putting it on themselves and so I have started pulling them aside several times a day so I can slather them up. The lotion has helped their hands tremendously in such a short amount of time. I love how it sinks in quickly too (very necessary for young boys who are very active). Thanks so much for the recommendation!!
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad the Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion is working out for your family ellyp. I knew it would, we have the clinical lab data to prove it. That's why I put jojoba esters in most of the formulas that I make. It does work as intended and is a natural raw material. Can't beat it!

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:06 am      Reply with quote
John, can you point me to some other products with jojoba esters in them? You probably have already listed them somewhere on this site so you can always just give me a link, if you know it.
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Send me a private message on this board ellyp and I'll give you a list of creams, lotions and anti-age products that contain jojoba esters.

John

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |