Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Vanicream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Last week my derm gave me some samples of Vanicream cleanser and moisturizer. My skin is not very happy right now (irritated, reactive, congested, etc..) and she reco'd these to try and said they would not break me out and would be gentle and help restore moisture. The ingredients are terribly scary and they have "white petrolatum" in them. Is this the same as petroleum?

Has anyone used Vanicream successfully? For me success is no irritation and no additional congested pores.

Thanks.
Shelly
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
What is this cream for? Never heard of it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Tube says "moisturizing skin cream for sensitive skin free of dyes, lanolin, fragrance, masking fragrance, parabens and formaldehyde". Ingredients:

purified water, white petrolatum, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, sorbitol solution, propylene glychol, simethicone, glyceryl monostearate, polyethylene glycol monostearate, sorbic acid, BHT
Button
5% products discount

Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
My dermatologist gave me samples of Vanicream lotion, cream, soap and shampoo. I just started using the soap because my skin is even drier and itchier than usual because its winter.

I have to admit I don't know anything about ingredients so I just started to use it since it came from my doctor. I like the soap because its fragrance-free. My skin is sensitive to too much fragrance. The cream is nice and thick. I've been using it at night on my hands with cotton gloves. I also keep a tube at work and use it as my hand cream throughout the day. I haven't tried the shampoo but I plan to tomorrow. My scalp also gets extremely dry and itchy in the winter.

So, for me, it seems pretty good. I'll be interested to see if someone who knows ingredients posts with an opinion.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have used the cream without any problems for my reactive skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:31 am      Reply with quote
shelly, I'm not surprised that your skin is congested. Petrolatum can do that. And yes, "white petrolatum" is just a trade name for petrolatum, so that is the same thing.

Let's look at this formula based on the ingredients. To be honest, it's just a water and petrolatum emulsion. This very basic lotion is designed to trap moisture at the skin surface using petrolatum and bring some moisture to the skin through the addition of some humectants: propylene glycol and sorbitol. There is nothing special about this formula. It would be so much better if it had jojoba esters as the occlusive material rather than petrolatum. Jojoba Esters are natural from jojoba oil and they are MORE occlusive than petrolatum, setting up a better moisture barrier. As an example, the Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion uses jojoba esters to set up the 24 hr. moisturizing claim.

purified water (simple water to bring moisture to the skin), white petrolatum (petrolatum, to set up a moisture barrier on the skin. It is a petroleum based ingredient that can clog up skin pores), cetearyl alcohol (part of the emulsifier system), ceteareth-20 (part of the emulsifier system), sorbitol solution (a sugar based humectant that draws moisture to the skin), propylene glychol (correct spelling "propylene glycol", a chemical humectant that draws water to the skin), simethicone (a silicone that makes the formula feel smooth and glide on easily), glyceryl monostearate (part of the emulsifier system), polyethylene glycol monostearate (part of the emulsifier system), sorbic acid (a very mild preservative that may not be strong enough to preserve this formula against all microbial contamination), BHT (an anti-oxidant, probably added to try to keep this formula fresh and avoid rancid smell).

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
does anyone know where I can purchase some? Do they sell it at drugstores and pharmacy's?
mooon
5% products discount

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Vanicream Lite Lotion sample last nite. It is amazing. In the morning, I found out my skin soft and moisturized even I kept my heating on for the whole night.

Besides, I put a lot on my hands and I felt my fingers were somehow wrinkle free........

I cannot wait to get more.

Does anyone know where we can get it in Vancouver???
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
I called the dermatologist that gave me the Vanicream samples to ask where in the area I could purchase it. I was told "Any drug store should have it. If not, maybe they could order it". I've looked at both Walgreens and CVS and have not found it. I did not ask if they could order it because I assumed big retailers either carry a product or they don't. Makes me wonder why a derm would give out samples of something that isn't locally available...

I have decided I don't mind the cleanser but I'm a bit concerned about the cream I was given due to the ingredients and potential to further congest my skin despite it's non-comedogenic claim.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
Your local pharmacy can definitely order vanicream for you. I have only seen it otc in 1 walgreens so far. Lots of online places sell them as well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:52 am      Reply with quote
Is this prescription only?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |