Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
What foundation do other oily skin gals using sunblock use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:23 am      Reply with quote
I've got oily skin and have to use sun protection. But I have to blot with powder so much, I become a cakey mess. Oh and to add to that, I have a strange tinman look with the sunblock so I definitely can't use mineral powders. Tried the Laura Mercier one and it just accentuated pores.
The sunblock is La Roche Posay.
Please, please help someone, I long to look fresh faced.
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:13 am      Reply with quote
camelia, i have oily skin and the best foundation i have ever used (so far) is sk-II airtouch foundation. i know it's pricey but the finish is really good. it doesn't mattify the skin but what i do is wait for it to dry and brush some pearl powder lightly on top. it lasts me until lunchtime, before i get slightly oily, but that's good enough for me.

hth! Smile
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:25 am      Reply with quote
I've tried SKII airbrush! It is a great foundation but as with many other foundations I had to blot, blot, blot I'm afraid. Do you think that the pearl powder is the key? I've used Laura Mercier powder for years because it's finely milled. Where do I get pearl powder from exactly?
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi Camelia, pearl powder makes all the difference to control oil. I either use a pearl powder paste [pm me for the details] on top of moisturizer and underneath sunblock, or else I'll apply the sunblock, then a light dusting of pearl and silk powder to control oil and mattify, then another light dusting of MMU. Sometimes I'll forgo the MMU altogether and just apply a little concealer where I need it and stick with silk/pearl powder to control the oil. I still carry blotting papers in my big warbag of a purse, but rarely need to use them.

HTH

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Been tempted to order the Laura Mercier oil free liquid foundation. Did it break anyone out?
ch3r
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
LRP i also found to be kind of oily. I much prefer Shiseido ultimate sunblock lotion spf 55. its very matte and for some controls oil. for dryer skin ladies, it even dries them out.

it is a (mostly) physical ss, so the PPD isn't that high (its about 8+). this kind of disturbed me at first because everyone was making such a big deal about this on other boards, and I had such a struggle trying to find something with a higher PPD that didn't make me greasy or break me out. but then i recently realized that an ss with a PPD of 10 blocks out 90% of UVA rays and an ss with a PPD of 30 blocks out 96%. The new ss i've been using has a PPD of 14-20. i think the LRP ss tend to be in the 20s, iirc. i'm totally willing to trade off this 3-6% if i can avoid using extra chemicals.

Some people also like Sofina and Clarins spf 40. I haven't tried those though.

oh and i use Alima MMU. it tends to give a good finish for oily skinned girls.
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
i'm also using the same products as athena, the pearl paste and the primer. but i use the paste under my moisturizer and use the primer as a powder, after my sk-II rather than before. i only use sk-II when I go out, when i'm just hanging around at home i just use concealor and the pearl powder (sk-II refills are so expensive, i need the money to fund my skincare buying habit!)
the pearl products have helped to normalize my skin, it's still somewhat oily but not as bad as previously and i haven't been using it for very long (only started about 3 weeks ago) so hopefully after some more time i will terminate my membership of the overly-dewy skin club!! Laughing
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I agree w/ using pearl powder to control the oil all day. Then I use SVR 50 which is a beautiful tinted, all physicall s/s. It has a spf50 and ppd20. I leaves a gorgeous finish and the color is perfect for my fair skin. It is an absolute HG for me. I get mine from skincarecentral.biz.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
pink_apple
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
Try to use primer before putting your foundation on. NARS Primer is a pretty good one you may want to try.
Compucat

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Cahoot - is the pearl powder you are mentioning the one in the SK II line that comes in a compact?

I've been using Ombrelle for Face SPF60 (waaay too greasy for me) and then buffing on the darkest shade of Shiseido Compact Powder SPF32. I picked up the darkest shade they have while in Oahu. It's a great tan colour. But the Ombrelle makes me look like a grease slick.

I've ordered some Sofina UV50+ Lucent and am hoping that works better. Any liquid foundations have always been tough for me - can't go more than 2 hours without being quite shiny. Would love if this pearl powder helps!
pink_apple
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, Ombrelle SPF60 is greasy but it gives the best protection versus other cosmetic brand like Shiseido.

For me, I'd use the oil absorb paper to pad my face after applied Ombrelle that helps a bit. At least, I can stay out long.
Compucat

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Pink_Apple, thanks for the suggestion of using my blotting papers to suck up the creaminess of the Ombrelle SPF60. My only concern is would I be blotting off the SPF effectiveness? I know I would have to wait until it settled into my skin for at least a half hour.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Great replies everyone! Personally, my dermatologist told me to try to not touch up with powder/blotting papers too much as it does lift the sunscreen off your face. Does he realise how hard this is to do when you have an oily face? I cannot walk around with shine around my nose and between my eyebrows.

Where oh where in the UK can I buy pearl paste or pearl powder and are the ingredients listed on the side of the product? Are they safe and is the company that makes the product reputable?

Thanks
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
Where oh where in the UK can I buy pearl paste or pearl powder and are the ingredients listed on the side of the product? Are they safe and is the company that makes the product reputable?

Thanks

I buy mine from an at-home business, and can PM you the details if you like. A lot of the girls on here use it, and I believe there is international shipping available, but I can double check.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
To HannaLee, yes please do pm me with the information! That would be great. Thanks.
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
To HannaLee, yes please do pm me with the information! That would be great. Thanks.

sent! let me know if you have any other questions Smile
hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Hannalee, could you please PM me the information as well. I've always heard great reviews about pearl powders but never knew where to get them.
Thanks a million!
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks very much for the information HannaLee!
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
check you inbox hotiron123 Wink
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
I would try mineral powder as it has a SPF depending on how heavy you apply. Jlynne is really good for oily skin.

Also I would blot as well but touch up with a powder foundation with SPF.

You might also use sunscreen with chemical protection as the formulas tend to be less greasy. Personally, I have used only mineral makeup as my SPF protection for the past few years and so far it seems to protect my skin.
hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Thank you HannaLee. I think my skin is in need of some tender love and care. I will get right on that asap!
autumnApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Goodness, I really need to look into this pearl paste/primer product. I've been suffering from over oily face since middle school. Crying or Very sad I really want to get rid of it.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:36 am      Reply with quote
autumn, although I make my own pearl paste now, feel free to PM me and I'll send you a link to the company where I used to buy it. I just opted to make some on my own because I never, ever wanna run out of this lovely stuff.
Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Yes definitely use pearl paste prior to MU application then finish with a light dusting of pearl powder. This will help immensely to cut down on the oiliness.

Also I recommend Lumiere's Veena Velvet MMU it is specifically for oily skin - makes a difference.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |