Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

alpha-lipoic acid and large pores?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
peaches
5% products discount

Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:49 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on alpha-lipoic acid. It is in many popular products and claims to firm the skin and shrink the pores. I have tried many products (i.e.- glycolics, retinols, micro-dermabrasion...) in hopes to shrink my enlarged pores. No luck! Anyway, I was thinking of this "wonder anti-oxidant" to see if it helps.

...any comments and/or suggestions???
Mabsy

Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:48 am      Reply with quote
I haven't heard of ALA for shrinking pores, though I do know that it is supposed to be good for the skin (for some reason that I can't remember). The only product that I can think of off the top of my head that has it as an ingredient is Alphaderma CE if I'm not mistaken. That is more for frown lines than diminishing pore size though. There could be others that have it as well.

I know this seems simplistic compared with the things you have tried, but have you tried just doing regular deep cleansing mud masks?

Mabsy
Matherton
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
From what i've read Alph Lipoic Acid is simply an antioxidant(could be wrong though!) , it scavenges free radiclals from the skin and prevents the skin from aging(like rust on a car).
If this is the case i highly doubt that it could shrink pores due to the fact its neither an exfoliant or pore unclogging .
In regards to "wonder- antioxidant"..there are apparently no miracle anti oxidants , heres an exerpt from Paula Begoun's website:

Despite the proliferation of skin-care products containing antioxidants, according to Dr. Jeffrey Blumberg, chief of antioxidants research at Tufts University, "there is no conclusive scientific evidence that antioxidants really prevent wrinkles, nor is there any information about how much antioxidant(s) or exactly which one(s) has to be present in a product to have an effect."

its all little unknown so be careful before you buy!
hope this helps!Smile
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a nice article from the cellularskinrx.com site on antioxidants, too. Much more thorough than Paula Begoun's offhand comments. I don't like her because she tends to be very negative and selective in her use of materials to support her, at times, extreme statements.

http://www.cognis.com/veris/ResearchSummary/Antioxidants.htm
Mabsy

Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:32 am      Reply with quote
betterat40 wrote:
I don't like her because she tends to be very negative and selective in her use of materials to support her, at times, extreme statements.

I must say I am totally with you on that!

Thanks for the link! Smile
eSquire415
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I was just looking around the internet about the benefits of Alpha Lipoic Acid on one's skin and I found this:

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/lipoic.html

To summarize the above info, ALA is actually a mixture of two variants: the S and R forms. While both S and R forms are potent antioxidants, only R-lipoic acid improves cellular energy production and reduces inflammation. Furthermore, the presence of the S form appears to reduce the effectiveness of the R-form. So when looking for ALA, make sure that it explicitly says R-Lipoic Acid.

Here are more info:
http://www.r-lipoic.com/
http://www.ralapure.com/all.asp?page=1
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |