Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Make - up artist role call :)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:57 am      Reply with quote
Just wondering who on this forum is a make-up artist? Smile

Well as a b'day present last year my little sister gave me a Napoleon makeup course which was so generous of her ! LoVe ya sis! So I went along for 9 weeks, each week covering a different key technique, and each week bringing along a different model to demonstrate on for 3 hours ( mission critical) but they loved it. Very Happy I tried to bring in friends with different skintone, face shape, nationality to show that I was versatile. Wink

I had the most amazing fun, and I loved learning trade secrets and hearing about industry experiences. My trainers had covered fashion week, editorials for magazine shoots and wedding makeup. One had teamed up with her fledgeling designer friend and did a knock-out debut runway showing.

Finishing it off was such great timing because a friend made a call and got me an interview with the Education Exec for Bobbi Brown. Now I work on the weekends freelancing on the weekends for BB at David Jones (DJ's is a national department store in Australia similar to Harvey Nichols, Harrods etc.)

I love the creative escape that doing makeup gives me, I'm in my element when I am working on a face from scratch. I love the transformation and the client's reactions. Very Happy I like the teaching and application side to the job than the selling side. I hate the hard sell and am totally put off by it but luckily (for me) there's no need for encouragement. I'm definitely not doing it for the $$$$$$ hence why I still have a weekly job but for the love of it, and I look forward to each weekend even if it means working 7 days straight.

The one thing you develop is an eye for are flaws.... Wink

So who else is a make-up artist on this forum? Put up your hands please..... Smile Who is a makeup artist full - time ?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I'm not a "professional" but I'm who all my friends ask to make them up for events. I do MU for their siblings proms/weddings/etc. Sometimes I charge but not always simply cause I have so much fun doing it!
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! I would totally love that! I love makeup, I am not a makeup artist but I would love to take a course. Only 9 weeks? I thought I would have to sign up at least 2 years or so. When I was a kid, I was always in my room painting or drawing now it is just my face and I do have a makeup artist collection of makeup that doesn't all fit in my large traincase! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Years ago I had a second job working part time at Macy's in the cosmetics department, and was required to get my license. Training was provided by my vendor, Erno Laszlo, and if I remember correctly, I took the train up to their New York HQ for one day, and then I took an exam. It was almost scarily easy to get that license, although things may have changed since then. I was living in MD at the time.

I used to enjoy doing make overs, too. It was always nice to be able to help make someone feel better about themselves.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
i am a makeup artist the market is sooo staurated its very hard to get into working for stores is one thing but working for mags and fashiow shows is complety different experience and is what true makeup artist is about

personally i hate going to alot of the stores and seeing those teenage girls claiming they are makeup artist and know nothing about it
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
I usually judge the makeup artist by how her makeup looks. Some are done really nice and blended well and others look like they were playing in their moms makeup.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:
I usually judge the makeup artist by how her makeup looks. Some are done really nice and blended well and others look like they were playing in their moms makeup.

or spidey-lashed.

i walk away when i see that.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:26 am      Reply with quote
For me the best reward is seeing the response of clients when they look in the mirror and see themselves, only a prettier version.^^

It's good to get the education and training as I'm constantly learning and updating my artistry skills. This has been really interesting, as what one artist likes to do (Napoleon) in contouring to achieve shape, and change dimensions, is not what another artist (Bobbi Brown) endorses as her view is that you don't alter, but enhance. The great thing is, everyone's vision of beauty is different. Arrow

If anyone has an interest or curious about doing a makeup course, I recommend it as your first baby steps, even if it is for yourself. Smile I *LOVE* makeup, live it, breath it and do it everyday ... the training gave me useful info that I might otherwise not have thought of in this field, like a look into colour theory....what works and what doesn't on different skin tone, eye colour, or clothes worn. You learn and run with the creativity that is inside you already....
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately my impression of most dept store make-up girls (can't call them artists) is it looks as though they had to put obvious product on every part of their face. It is very clear they have lips, eyes and cheeks. No subtlety. The young girls are the worst. They should at least teach them the value of "Less can be More".
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Boy, isn't that the truth? Less is definitely more in the makeup department almost always. I suppose that there is pressure on the SA's to look obviously "made up" to show off the company's wares, though.

I had a makeover done once at a Lancome counter--they were doing mother-daughter makeovers, and my daughter was excited to try it. The woman who did our makeovers was terrific--she did "matching" makeovers that took our ages and skin types into account, and neither one was remotely over-the-top. I trusted her to do it because she was one of the few SA's there at the counter whose face didn't scream "Look at my makeup!" So in the end, she made a lot of money out of us anyway.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
How long does it take to learn these techniques just to do your own makeup? I want to learn how to do a more professional job on myself but I don't want to become a makeup artist for a living. So therefore I don't want to spend a fortune on courses and classes. I spend enough as it is on the makeup itself and I still consider my collection fairly limited. Good makeup is so expensive.

I never know what colors to buy for myself, what colors go together, how to really make my skin look flawless, how to do my eye makeup for gorgeous dramatic looks etc. Is there good self-education? Any good books, dvds or websites you recommend? How hard is it? I see other people do their own makeup and do it so well.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'm registered though I very rarely work in the industry anymore - just the odd photo shoot or wedding (I've changed careers). I attended Versailles Academy of Make-up Arts, Sciences and Esthetics (in Canada)
Pudoodles Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |