Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Food for the face? Calling all DIY Guru's
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
We all seem to love and use all of the antioxidant + vit C serums, creams, lotions etc. And we don't hesitate to plop down a ton of money in our quest to find the fountain of youth in a 1oz. jar.

Can someone please tell me, why we can't just go in our refrigerator, pull out a couple of fruits + vegetables, give it a whirl in the blender, and apply it to our faces. Wouldn't that be the freshest, purest form of those vitamins? Especially vitamins C, E + A.

Is anybody else sick of spending a fortune, and looking for a simpler way to 'DIY' in the kitchen?

Do any of you 'DIY Guru's' have any suggestions?

Kassy.. Confused

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Kassy,

I know what you mean -- food's the best source of antioxidants, right? I know at least a couple EDS members use lemon juice instead of a Vitamin C serum, and I myself am planning to try it out. And I already tend to stick to some kitchen-y solutions -- i.e. my fave moisturizer these days is plain old avocado oil.

But for me, the real reason I wouldn't just do fridge DIY skincare is the time factor. I barely have it in me to blend up a smoothie for breakfast every day! Whipping up a homemade face cocktail morning and night would just annoy me too much. Smile

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:15 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz, I know what you mean, time is for sure a factor for most. I have the luxury of being retired right now (though not really by choice).

I'm thinking along the lines of for instance; rubbing a little piece of orange or grapefruit over my face in the a.m. with breakfast. And perhaps at night, mashing a little leftover carrot etc. and just do a quick mask in the p.m.

The real question for me is this; would a kitchen concoction, made from an orange for instance, be as beneficial as the Vitamin C serums we spend $40. an oz. for Question

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy, I have an Aloe Vera plant (very cheap and easy to look after) and about once a week I cut a bit off and rub the raw juice and flesh over my face*. This is especially nice after I have done a mild peel, very cooling and moisturising. I normally let it sink in a bit and then top with some facial oil to help the goodness penetrate. My skin looks very nice after doing this it seems to brighten my skin and tighten the pores.

*You can keep what you don't use in the fridge for a couple of days provided it's wrapped up in foil.

Here is some info on what aloe vera contains:

Aloe vera is a rich source of over two hundred naturally-occurring nutritional substances. These components include twenty amino acids, eight enzymes, nine minerals, plant sterols, monosaccharides and polysaccharides, antioxidants, vitamins A, C, E, B complex,and glycoproteins.

HTH Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
WOW Pandora, I knew aloe was good, but I had no idea it contained all that good stuff.

I also have a plant, and especially love it for minor burns. I slathered it on my skin a few times, but really didn't like how stick it was. But after the great info you shared, I'll get over it, and use it on my face more often.

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Eureka! I found the best site for homemade goodie's. Lot's of info and videos on skin in general too.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.natural-skin-care-info.com/homemade-skin-care-recipes-face.html

Kassy

beti
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
DIY is starting to appeal to me more and more as well. As soon as my products have finished I am going to get a cooking in my kitchen.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Please let me know what you concoct!

Did you take a look at the link I put in a previous post? It has tons of "kitchen recipes" and loads of skin care info.

mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
pandora77 wrote:
... I have an Aloe Vera plant (very cheap and easy to look after) and about once a week I cut a bit off and rub the raw juice and flesh over my face*....

Thank you for giving the tip pandora! This is precisely what I have seen people do back in Europe. Just a small piece enough for the face.

And I would think fresh plant/fruit juice would be better then out of the bottle. Multiple people on this forum say that real lemon juice helped to erase freckles and lighten the skin, which seems to be aligned with Vit C serums results. Lemon juice should do just fine when applied instead of Vit C serums.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/beautyskin/skin.html

Tons of great homemade skin care recipe's

brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
WOW Pandora, I knew aloe was good, but I had no idea it contained all that good stuff.

I also have a plant, and especially love it for minor burns. I slathered it on my skin a few times, but really didn't like how stick it was. But after the great info you shared, I'll get over it, and use it on my face more often.

I love using fresh aloe but the smell gets to me every time! Laughing
I use the Ice Elements line because all of their products have pharmaceutical grade aloe as their base, not water! Very, very soothing and all of those wonderful aloe benefits listed above!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.nuskin.com/corp/science/glossary.shtml#salicylic_acid

Everything you ever wanted to know about ingredients from A to Z.

Also some good articles and scientific study's on cellulite, acne, anti-aging and more.

Kassy

Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
ginnielizz, I know what you mean, time is for sure a factor for most. I have the luxury of being retired right now (though not really by choice).

I'm thinking along the lines of for instance; rubbing a little piece of orange or grapefruit over my face in the a.m. with breakfast. And perhaps at night, mashing a little leftover carrot etc. and just do a quick mask in the p.m.

The real question for me is this; would a kitchen concoction, made from an orange for instance, be as beneficial as the Vitamin C serums we spend $40. an oz. for Question

Interesting thought Kassy. I am a big fan of products from The Body Deli out of California. They are passionate about all natural "living cell" products from many fruits and veggies. Right now I am using their Blueberry Fusion scrub. In the past I have used many of their product. They are so fresh they are shipped on ice. Shock

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I love simple masks. Mango, papaya and pumpkin have great enzymes and they smell good. When I cook with them I usually mash with some yogurt and sometimes add a bit of cinnamon or turmeric (this is really colorful so just use a bit but it is a good anti-inflammatory). I put it on and lie in a hot tub and it smells and feels really good. I drain the fruit paste otherwise it can be runny. You can add a bit of honey and probably other things as well (I tend not to do things exactly the same each time).
gwynethhung
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Two points:
1. it may irritate your skin as the materials are all raw
2. the molecules size may be too large that cannot entry your skin, that means useless Wink
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
The following is copied from one of the links I posted above.

I had know idea vinegar did all this!

Vinegar

Vinegar (high-quality white or apple cider) has a tonic action that promotes blood circulation in the small capillaries that irrigate the skin. It is also antiseptic, preventing the proliferation of bacteria, viruses, or yeast that trigger infection. It can dissolve excessive fatty deposits at the surface of the skin and reduce scaly or peeling conditions. It is a great, inexpensive, all natural, non-toxic facial cleanser that you can use daily.

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
gwynethhung wrote:
Two points:
1. it may irritate your skin as the materials are all raw
2. the molecules size may be too large that cannot entry your skin, that means useless Wink

I think as long as we use caution with acid products, and of course be aware of allergins for some folks, most fruits and vegetables would be safe to use on our faces and body's.

The main benefit from these 'kitchen' masks, scrubs, toners etc, are derived from just making contact with our skin for a while. Of course our skin won't absorb pulp and large molecules, but many vitamins and nutrients will surely be absorbed. (And probably many more than from the $50. Juice Beauty I just bought...EEK!)

What I like is the freshness of it all, and the lovely feeling I get when I just lay back and enjoy a little pampering. And nothing in the world smells as awesome to me as fresh fruits + juices.

sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Kassy: I agree nothing smells so good as one of my fruit and yogurt masks.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
sharky, I'm dying to try the mask you talked about with the pumpkin + papaya.

Is canned pumpkin what you use? I hear nothing but wonderful things about pumpkin, but haven't tried it yet.

lilredhead
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I've got to chime in and share one of my favorite facial mask recipes! Egg yolk... or white for oilier skin... manuka honey, tumeric powder and sandalwood powder. Soothing, anti-inflammatory and oh so aromatic!! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |