Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

question about shoe storage and care
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have a lot of shoes - maybe not as many as some people, but considerably a lot (I wear them all, I do!). They are mainly leather upper but I've also got fabric like satin, and the heels are all sorts - raffia wedges, wood etc). Now I have never had a proper system of storing them, I just basically throw them back into their boxes and stack the boxes in my closet.

I love them all and would like to keep them looking their best, is there anything special I should be doing? Is a shoe cabinet absolutely necessary? TIA!
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:44 am      Reply with quote
You should if possible keep them in their boxes and stack them one on top of the other
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Lola Moroney wrote:
You should if possible keep them in their boxes and stack them one on top of the other

That's what I do, with a pic of the shoes on the front of the box, and put those moisture absorbing sachets in each box.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
Lola Moroney wrote:

That's what I do, with a pic of the shoes on the front of the box, and put those moisture absorbing sachets in each box.

appletini, how long does each sachet last? Malaysia is so humid I end up with water sachets in less than five weeks! And then a few of my shoes would get those ugly white patches. The ones on leather uppers are easy to clean, but on suede or nubuck it's a pain to brush off.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Pumpingmummy - I’ve got the same problem here in Hong Kong - 98% humidity today (and freezing cold I might add)! I don’t know how long the sachet things last, probably not long as whenever I check them they always need replacing.

Some older apartments in Hong Kong have those small wardrobe heaters installed. I once lived in an apartment with these things, and they were great for keeping clothes/shoes mould free. I don’t know if these “wardrobe heaters” are even made anymore, as I’ve never seen them in a new apartment. Might be worth looking into?

On the positive side, the high humidity might ruin shoes but it’s great for keeping skin hydrated Very Happy
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:17 am      Reply with quote
I keep my best shoes in their original box with shoe trees stuffed inside to maintain the shape. When I'm able to, I'll replace all my plastic shoe trees with cedar ones.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
I keep my best shoes in their original box with shoe trees stuffed inside to maintain the shape. When I'm able to, I'll replace all my plastic shoe trees with cedar ones.

Okay. I need cedar shoe trees as well. Mine are either stuffed with velour coated foam shoe trees or scrunched up paper Embarassed . Why would cedar be better (besides looking better?) where do you get yours athena?
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Dollbird wrote:
I'm a shoe addict and I have my shoes on a wall, displayed like pieces of art, just because I love looking at them so much. SO installed rows of metal bars on a wall (kinda like extra long towel rods in the bathroom) sectioned off for my shoes, and I just hang them by the heels. Flats are on the ground.

(I hope Dollbird will read this!)

I like this idea, because 1. I get to see all my nice shoes (they are art pieces aren't they?) and 2. they won't get mould because of good ventilation. but again, Malaysian weather is such that it can be windy and things get dusty pretty quickly. Do you have this problem Dollbird?

(would be cool if you could post a pic of this shoe rack of yours, with all your shoes on it)
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:22 am      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:
athena123 wrote:

Okay. I need cedar shoe trees as well. Mine are either stuffed with velour coated foam shoe trees or scrunched up paper Embarassed . Why would cedar be better (besides looking better?) where do you get yours athena?

Hey p, cedar shoe trees are solid and will create a better form for your shoe. It also has the advantage of smelling really nice and the oils in cedar ward off moths, bugs, etc.... kind of the same effect as storing any clothing in a cedar chest or wardrobe.
They're expensive, though. I've seen them at Nordstrom's rack for about $30/pair, so it's definitely a long term investment.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, athena! Smile It makes sense to invest in them especially for those shoes you won't be able to repurchase because of their unique design and/or (gasp!) price.

My dad has wooden shoe trees but they're not cedar (at least I don't think they are. they sure don't smell cedar-y...)

I just saw some online - do you have a brand you would recommend?
TIA

p/s hoping Dollbird will read this thread and post a reply re her shoe rail...
mamawalnut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to see the pic of dollbird's shoe display as well. I've got a shoe storage problem myself and think her homemade storage system might work just right. It's pretty unconventional but the more I think about it the more I like it. I have around 40 pairs of heels that need organizing. I'd bought a shoe rack that held them all but it was so flimsy it fell apart and now all my shoes are piled in the floor. I'm having trouble finding a sturdy shoe rack to hold all my heels. I have some smaller racks for my sneakers and flip-flops so those are okay. I just like for my shoes to be out and easy to see so I can choose which ones I want to wear.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I do NOT take care of my shoes at all. I just stack them in shoe racks. You guys are making me worry that I'll ruin them! Holding out for a pic of Dollbird's art...

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have a clear plastic storage system that I got from the Container Store. It works well, because I can stack them up high (I don't have that much space) and I can see the shoes inside.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Pumpingmummy: I love to see a photo too. We have a storage problem because our home is an old vacation home with little closet space. I put pins on the wall and hung my jewelry I'd love to see how you mounted the shoes it sounds neat (dating myself).
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:37 am      Reply with quote
sharky honey, its not me with the shoe rail, its Dollbird... Razz

I basically just throw my shoes back in their boxes and stack the boxes in my closet, but 1. my closet is running out of room now and 2. certain types of shoes are prone to mould if left unused for too long and I'm thinking of a way of getting around that problem.

rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:55 am      Reply with quote
i fully intend to get this for all my shoes. It can hold up to 30 pairs...

http://rakkudesigns.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Rosyface, that shoe storage wheel is awesome! The shoes in the wheel would still be visible and easily accessible without taking up so much space like a conventional shoe rack. I think the price ($65) is pretty reasonable as well. I am going to sleep on it tonight but this might just be the answer to my shoe storage problem. Thanks for posting the link.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:23 am      Reply with quote
bumpity bump
Kel
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:08 am      Reply with quote
mamawalnut wrote:
Rosyface, that shoe storage wheel is awesome! The shoes in the wheel would still be visible and easily accessible without taking up so much space like a conventional shoe rack. I think the price ($65) is pretty reasonable as well. I am going to sleep on it tonight but this might just be the answer to my shoe storage problem. Thanks for posting the link.

It looks fairly easy to insert the shoe (through the elastic bands) but, I can see myself struggling to get them out. Especially high heels. I'm not very coordinated in the morning and I can see myself getting the heels stuck on one of the elastics-causing me to curse at a very early hour! Smile They also look like they try to cram too many shoes into wheel-I'm weird about giving my shoes space and not piling them onto each other. That said, I only own three pairs of high heels! Shock
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |