Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone tried Sculptra?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:08 am      Reply with quote
EthelM. I would recommend Dr. Chris Davidson in Wellesley. He did my Sculptra injections into my cheeks and I look 15 years younger!! No problems whatsoever! Very pleased with my results. Dr. D. is very skilled at what he does. He also has such a nice way about him. He's not arrogant, very friendly and he listens to what you want. And doesn't try and talk you into doing more or other things! I guarantee you'll love him too! I'm going back in a few weeks to have some Restylane put into my lips. HTH
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
did u have any bruising?
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I had a minimal amount of bruising but I put ice on it and it went away within a few days. It can be covered with makeup in the meantime. Have you had Sculptra injections?
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have Ollie, in 2010. I would have to "hide" doing it from DH. I cant do it again because it sounds like you are pretty well guaranteed bruising - not easy to hide!!
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:18 am      Reply with quote
These days many use cannulas for fillers - I would ask if you could have that type of injection with sculptra.

A cannula is blunt and inserted between the layers. As it cannot pierce anything the risk of bruising is very small. Also, one needs fewer ports of entry as it is long and can be moved under the skin instead of having to be poked many times over with a needle.
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Oh no DebM, why did you have to hide from your hubby? I take it he did not approve of injections. My husband didn't in the beginning either. He told me it was a waste of money and that I didn't need it. He knew if I went once that I would keep going and he was right lol.

Mismis, My PS used a cannula but I still got minimal brusing. It's enevitable that one gets at least a bit of bruising. Even with the lightest touch. EthelM did you ever contact Dr Davidson?
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
a peach is a peach is a peach . . .
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
a needle is a needle is a needle... or an injection is an injection, is an injection
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Ollie - he believes in growing old gracefully meaning paying out "nothing"!! Of course I sneak though and do what I can but hiding bruises is hard - you know you can only tell the same story a couple of times. I tease him that my sis and I are getting facelifts when I turn 60!! He says no way, he's not being married to Joan Rivers!! why do they think that all PS is going to make u look like her? MEN!

I wish I was as brave and knowledgeable a!!s mismis
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Mine does too! I never thought I'd be one of these women to get anything done to herself. I Always said I would never do a thing and let nature take its course, even if I was to get one wrinkle! Now that my face is going through the awful aging process, I want to try and stop it for as long as I can and improve on it before it gets worse! Men just don't understand. They barely have any wrinkles until they're much older. So not fair! It's the same with their weight too. If we eat what we want, we're sure to gain in either our hips, thighs, butts or belly's. If a guy eats what he wants. he may not gain a pound or if he does, it will only go to his belly!! Not fair!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Another take on Sculptra by a Derm in LaJolla CA:

"Sculptra for Facial Augmentation

The youthful face is characterized by volume and fullness. Fat pads, supported by connective tissue, and draped over a framework of muscle and bone provide the facial contours associated with youth. As facial fat is lost from aging or disease, sunken cheeks, indentations, loose skin, and hollowness all may occur, with loss of the full, youthful appearance. Facial volume loss can be corrected with surgical fat transplantation and facial implants. Shorter term correction can be achieved with injectable collagen, hyaluronic acid gels (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm) or Radiesse have been used to restore lost volume, but require repeated treatments to maintain fullness.

Sculptra is a biocompatible synthetic material made from lactic acid, a natural substance necessary for cellular metabolism. PLA has been safely used for over 30 years in absorbable sutures and implants. No allergy testing is necessary before treatment.

Poly-L-Lactic Acid (PLA) is marketed in the U.S. as Sculptra , and worldwide as New-Fill is a safe and effective treatment for facial volume loss that has been used in 30 countries worldwide since 1999. Sculptra is injected just under the skin, where the material stimulates your own skin to form new, more permanent collagen over the course of 4-6 months, gradually filling in hollows, indentations and skin creases to restore youthful-appearing facial contours. The improvement typically lasts for years. The procedure is repeated as needed for 2 to 4 times until desired fullness is acheived.

Treatment with Sculptra is performed in the office with topical anesthesia and although it is considered a “no down-time” procedure, injection-related problems such as bleeding, bruising (15-20%), swelling, and redness can occur. A possible side-effect of treatment is the temporary occurrence of small “bumps” under the skin (1%), more common under thin skin, and only rarely visible, although they may be felt when the skin is pressed. They do go away evetually.

Treatment with Sculptra

Sculptra is supplied as a powder of microparticles, which must be mixed with sterile water at least 24 hours before injection to form a suspension. After injection, the microscopic crystals of Sculptra induce a mild inflammatory reaction which triggers new collagen formation and over time a gradual increase in skin thickness. Immediately after treatment, the injected areas (wrinkles and hallows) will appear “filled out” because of the water content in the suspension. This fullness will subside within a few days as the water is absorbed. This does not mean the treatment “didn’t take”! The microcrystals remain in place to act as a trigger for new, more permanent collagen formation. Cosmetics may be applied and normal activities may be resumed immediately after treatment. The effects of the treatment will take 3 to 6 months to become evident. The procedure is repeated every 2 months until final correction is acheived.

Side effects for Sculptra Treatment:

Complications and risks with Sculptra treatments are rare. Whenever the skin is injected, there is always a risk of bleeding, soreness, and bruising. Sculptra has been used for over 30 years with an outstanding safety record. Allergic reactions are extremely rare. Micronodules (size of sesame seed) can be felt under thinned skinned areas. This occurs about 1% of the time and diminish with time.

Cost of Sculptra: 1 vial $599, 2 vials $999, each session."

http://drdobryrx.com/2012/04/853/

These are 2012 prices, mind!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing~I just want to have a try

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
so what tips to you ladies have if you get sculptra and bruise?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
DebM wrote:
so what tips to you ladies have if you get sculptra and bruise?

Funny you should ask, as I sit here with my slightly bruised face Razz I did bruise more this time, but its fading quickly and easily covered with concealer.

There are a number of things you should stop 1-2 weeks prior to injections - no omega/fish oil, no NSAIDS (Advil, etc).

Make sure your injector uses a sharp needle. Mine will swap the needle midway when needed.

Try arnica, both the pellets and cream. It does help.

I also think that if you remain calm during the injections you'll bruise less. When I bruised most, I'd had a horrible day and was very stressed and tense.
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Well I bit the bullet and did it yesterday. I'd done all the pre things, no aspirin, fish oil, even didnt take my multi because of the vit c. Took bromelin the wk b4. Still alot of bruising. She used one bottle and about 10 needles so I know they were sharp. I just dont know if i can do it again since i have to "hide" what im doing. And im using Dermamend which is supposed to be the holy grail. Ive been taking the arnica also and got out my baby quaser. Im so light complexted that its really hard to concel w conceler.

I did 3 bottles bk in 2010, loved it but made up stories then too. Okay, maybe what I need are new stories? Husband is totally against all this stuff. Or find a dr that uses a canula? in Ohio. . .
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Sounds like you did all the right stuff. How long does the bruing last for you? For me, it's usually about 4 days. I'm fair too.

I assume use ice it for 24-36 hours intermittently after?

I asked my injector about using a cannula for Scupltra. She doesn't use it and said they are ok for the lower face, but says there are too many nerves in the cheek area, so she doesn't want to use it there. I've heard of others who do though.
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:55 am      Reply with quote
my after care instructions only say to ice for 2-4 hrs. Does yours tell you longer? My bruises usually last about a wk, . bummer

Wonder if i should ice? I did actually ice until noon today though so it was 24 hrs.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
DebM wrote:
my after care instructions only say to ice for 2-4 hrs. Does yours tell you longer? My bruises usually last about a wk, . bummer

Wonder if i should ice? I did actually ice until noon today though so it was 24 hrs.

Oops, just saw this. Might be too late for you this time, but the Sculptra website recommends icing for 24 hours.

http://www.sculptraaesthetic.com/consumer/aftercare-information.aspx

Mine told me verbally to ice it for 24 hours and massage 5 times a day for 5 days.
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:42 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl - we're good. I did ice for 24 hours. Did it Saturday, still covering up with the thick concealer which is so not me!! I don't wear liquid foundation to begin with and this stuff feels thick, yuck!! But without it I look really bad still.

I talked to a different dermatologist that I'd seen earlier in the summer for crepey arm skin. She is more into procedures, etc. rather than full body checks like the one who did my sculptra. She has been in the training for sculptra and expects to be treating in September so I'm going to her instead for the rest. She said if I wanted to I could see her and she'd treat the bruises with IPL and they'd disappear. She seemed much more helpful on the after effects!
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I ran across this great article on how to avoid bruising.

http://www.skintour.com/consumer-focus/how-to-avoid-problems-with-cosmetic-injectables

In general, Dr. Irwin's site is a great reference with a lot of valuable skin info.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
DebM wrote:
Well I bit the bullet and did it yesterday. I'd done all the pre things, no aspirin, fish oil, even didnt take my multi because of the vit c. Took bromelin the wk b4. Still alot of bruising. She used one bottle and about 10 needles so I know they were sharp. I just dont know if i can do it again since i have to "hide" what im doing. And im using Dermamend which is supposed to be the holy grail. Ive been taking the arnica also and got out my baby quaser. Im so light complexted that its really hard to concel w conceler.

I did 3 bottles bk in 2010, loved it but made up stories then too. Okay, maybe what I need are new stories? Husband is totally against all this stuff. Or find a dr that uses a canula? in Ohio. . .

How are you doing with your latest round of Sculptra? I had round #2 (for a total of 4 vials across the two visits) at the end of July. Don't really see much change yet, might be too soon. Sure hope its not $ down the drain.
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl - I only had the one vial - I didn't even know you could get 2 at a time. When I did this 4 years ago I only had 3 total vials and I saw a big improvement.

I can't say I see anything yet, I'm going to try to schedule the next for middle of Sept as i have a few days off work. I may ask about getting 2.

One thing, I am 58. I don't want to look like some of soap opera stars I see on GH with way too much filler. I doubt that I'd go over 3 total. My face is very thin and narrow to begin with and I think it would be too obvious for me!! (I like to hide this stuff!!!)

Did you bruise much this time?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
DebM wrote:
ShastaGirl - I only had the one vial - I didn't even know you could get 2 at a time. When I did this 4 years ago I only had 3 total vials and I saw a big improvement.

I can't say I see anything yet, I'm going to try to schedule the next for middle of Sept as i have a few days off work. I may ask about getting 2.

One thing, I am 58. I don't want to look like some of soap opera stars I see on GH with way too much filler. I doubt that I'd go over 3 total. My face is very thin and narrow to begin with and I think it would be too obvious for me!! (I like to hide this stuff!!!)

Did you bruise much this time?

She did one vial in each side of my face. The guidance I've heard is that when first starting Sculptra you will need one vial for each decade of age. So if you are 50, the rule of thumb is 5 vials and then 1-2 every year or two after that. Since I'm close to 50, they were estimating 4-5 total for me.

I had some bruising. Had it done on a Thursday and by Tuesday or Wednesday it was mostly gone.
Hittin40
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi..I was wondering how you ladies who have recently gotten the sculptra are doing? Are you happy with the results? I am considering getting it. I have been getting radiesse and juvederm voluma for the last couple of years and at my last appt. My ps mentioned that be thought it would be a good choice for me..almost 46..not too bad wrinkle wise but there is definitely some loss of volume.
Seems a. It riskier than regular fillers. Any comments anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hittin40 wrote:
Hi..I was wondering how you ladies who have recently gotten the sculptra are doing? Are you happy with the results? I am considering getting it. I have been getting radiesse and juvederm voluma for the last couple of years and at my last appt. My ps mentioned that be thought it would be a good choice for me..almost 46..not too bad wrinkle wise but there is definitely some loss of volume.
Seems a. It riskier than regular fillers. Any comments anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

I'm still on the fence with Sculptra. I've not yet seen the volume I was hoping for. There is some improvement, my cheeks do look a bit more full. I've had 4 vials, and given the one vial per decade of life rule, I'll need at least one more. I'm due to go back in. It's been 3 months since my last injection, they say it takes 4 months to see the full result. The Dr. wanted to wait 3 months to see where the next treatment would be needed.

I've had no negative effects with bumps or granulomas.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |